Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about partner

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 18:03

I just wrote a long spiel and said access denied 

It has taken me a long time to join I am a nurse and think this is making me worry more .

my partner Barry 53 had been having problems going to the Toilet . I kept telling him to go to the gp .In jan he had one episode of passing blood .Went to gp who sent urine specimen 

I had just had the 3 year all clear from having rectal cancer and Barry’s dad was in intensive care .

Two days later gp called test negative arranging ct scan .That night we were called to the hospital Barry’s dad died .

Barry had ct then urology appointment and doctor showed us scan said prostate was very enlarged but bladder clear .We we’re relieved.Barry then had a cystoscopy and called us back in and said he couldn’t believe what he had seen there was a tumour in bladder.Said mri in 2 weeks.I said 2weeks! He picked up the phone and got one for 3 days later . 
Barry had mri then the next week day before his dads funeral hospital called and said they need to see him straight away .I thought this is not good ! I said he is in the hospital having injection for bone Scan they said they will find him . Which they did and gave him degarelix injections.I think they suspected bone bets as psa was so high 675

Then had op to remove tumour from bladder ,there was in fact 2 . Consultant said she couldn’t believe how small prostate was from the mri .I had also radically changed our diet .

Then we heard bone scan clear couldn’t believe it nor could the team the nurse said they all cheered when the results came in .

Saw medical oncologist next said chemo next and if good response Barry should have a good outcome I was so elated I didn’t pay much attention when he mumbled although bone scan was clear there could be cells.Said radiotherapy next to consolidate the treatment .

Barry had chemo and tolerated well psa went to 0.63 .

Next saw clinical oncologist I was feeling so positive he said Barry had good radiological and biochemical response to treatment and looking at a cure .Then dropped the bombshell Barry is at high risk of micro mestatic disease due to high psa and he can only cure what he can see.I wanted to throw up there and then and I keep focusing and worrying about this.Googling all the time and findings are very scary .
I  have read that they never used to give radiotherapy once cancer had  burst from prostate  but research has shown it could stop prostate sending signals to mets and potentially stop them growing .

Barry is diagnosed as having locally advanced cancer.One potential pelvic lymph node involvement.No other distant mets seen .

Said lifelong HT then said will review in 2-3 years 

Gleason score 8 

Sorry for the long message I am beside myself.I have only been with Barry 9 years he is my rock and my soulmate and supported me through difficult times .I can’t bear the thought of losing him .

I have been reading conversations on here and seem more positive than google 😂

Edited by member 31 Oct 2020 at 10:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 13:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
As a nurse, it will be useful for you and Barry if you can get the words right when talking to medical staff - it is a prostate, not a prostrate.

Matron! I have to resist the temptation from correcting prostrate every time I read it here. So far I have succeeded.

Far more importantly, best of luck to nurse Caz and her old man.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 14:23

Haha. Thanks John 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 15:45
Ha ha - I think sometimes it is a predictive text thing as well.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 18:50

Matron! I have to resist the temptation from correcting prostrate every time I read it here. So far I have succeeded.

Me too. I find that if I lie face down on the floor, that urge goes away. 😂

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 21:21

Very sorry you find yourself here Caz.

Lots of very well-informed and helpful people on here. It's one of the best and most civilised forums I've ever been on.

Whilst it is true that once you have micro-mets you can't be cured, it doesn't mean you can't be treated. Some men on here live for many years in that position.

_____

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 21:45
As a nurse, it will be useful for you and Barry if you can get the words right when talking to medical staff - it is a prostate, not a prostrate.

As the onco has explained, Barry's PSA was so high that there are almost certainly mets around his body. The hormones will starve the cancer, possibly for many years.

Something doesn't make sense though. You say that he has been diagnosed with locally advanced prostate cancer with no mets. You also say two tumours were removed from his bladder. So has he been diagnosed with two separate cancers at the same time?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 09:05

Thanks for pulling me up on my spelling. I was very tired when I typed the message last night.

We are both very tired going up and down to Mount Vernon which is a long way for us and we have to leave at 6.30 am each morning Monday to Friday 

My spelling is usually very good 😂

The two tumours were not separate cancers they were prostatic adenocarcinomas.

No distant disease seen other than one potential lymph node in pelvis.Medical Oncologist said Barry had locally advanced prostate cancer and that is what the Clinical Oncologist said and put this Barry’s letter.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2020 at 10:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 09:18

Thanks for kind words Alex 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 09:31

By the way  I am a LD Nurse and have worked in many different settings including end of life care .I have a good knowledge of some things but not as clued up  as a General trained Nurse would be.

Thanks for your reply Lyn

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 10:49
"The two tumours were not separate cancers they were prostatic adenocarcinomas."

Okay, that is good news in amongst all the bad news. Anything left behind from the bladder surgery will be controlled by the HT, the same as any micromets that might be elsewhere.

What has his PSA been since the 0.63 after chemo? Generally speaking, for as long as the PSA stays stable on the Degarelix your OH will be okay - we have had men here for 10 years or more with advanced or locally advanced cancer.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 11:33

Thanks for your reply .

0.63 was his last psa test  .Due to have another one in December so will be interesting to see what it will be after the  radiotherapy.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 13:53

Far more importantly, best of luck to nurse Caz and her old man.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 14:23

Haha. Thanks John 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 15:45
Ha ha - I think sometimes it is a predictive text thing as well.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 18:50

_____

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 20:00

Thanks for your reply .

0.63 was his last psa test  .Due to have another one in December so will be interesting to see what it will be after the  radiotherapy.

Radiotherapy doesn't always make the PSA go lower - sometimes it actually rises after RT ... think of it as the cells screaming as they die. Generally, you see the lowest PSA reading about 18 months after the RT because the radiation continues to damage the cancer cells for up to 2 years. That's probably why the oncologist is going to wait for 2 - 3 years before deciding whether or not Barry needs the hormones for life. 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 20:03

Oh ok thanks for the info.I did read that the radiotherapy can make the psa higher initially.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2020 at 15:43

Prostate face down on the floor? (If you stil have one)😉

Cheers, John.