I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can u help

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 20:35

Hi my name is George everything happened so quickly. I asked my doctor to have a Psa blood test. Got the results back Psa 4.6. Had appointment to have MRI scan where they found a mark on my prostate. I was sent for a biopsy where they took 14 samples .10 were clear the others were 3:4 4:3 3:3 and 4:5.  I had a bone scan which came back clear. On Monday I am having a Psma pet scan. My surgeon looking to remove Prostate within a couple of weeks. I am feeling very anxious. Any advice appreciated.George 

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 23:13
Hopefully you will see an oncologist before you agree to the operation, surgery might be the right decision for you but you dont know until you have talked to someone about other options like radiotherapy and brachytherapy.

Download the toolkit from this website or phone the number at the top of this page and ask the nurses to post a copy to you. The toolkit explains the difference between the treatments and also the side effects.

Prostate cancer is quite slow growing so your op is not urgent. You have time to get more information and be sure of what is right for you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 02:20
I and three friends were all diagnosed with what we call PCa about two years ago. We all had surgery to remove the cancerous prostate. However, the three of them all had recurrence and had to undergo adjuvant radiotherapy, which they could have had in lieu of surgery in the first place.

Three out of four is not a very scientific sample, and we are all doing fine now, but as Matron says, do order the ‘Tool Kit’ and talk to an oncologist about alternatives to surgery, before you make any final decision on treatment.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 07:37

Unfortunately, with RT any cancer cells that are not zapped or are radio resistant have the possibility of becoming a problem in time. Nevertheless, RT generally has less severe repercussions in some respects. I agree it's always worth looking at other options and an appointment with an oncologist could be helpful if you can get one fairly soon. The early RP offered may be because is looks like hospitals are going to become more heavily involved dealing with patients affected by the 'C' virus. The Tool Kit not only helps you understand more about the disease but also the various treatments and gives the pros and cons for each.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2020 at 07:40  | Reason: spelling

Barry