Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Persistence PSA

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 10:45

Hello,

My husband (55) had his prostate removed 6 months ago. Surgery went well but his psa is steady at 0.3. Doctors are now going to give him radiation. His surgeon says he is not worried but after reading many medical journals, I am very worried. Has anyone else out there had persistent psa post op and done well? I'm beside myself with worry so would really like to hear if there's anyone has some positive news.

Thank you.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 12:09

Sorry you find yourself here.

You haven't given much background, so it's difficult to comment.

It would be useful to know his PSA at diagnosis and all subsequent readings with dates, his staging (TxNxMx), gleason score, and what was learned from the histology of the removed prostate.

Has he had a PSMA PET scan to locate the remaining prostate cells?
Or maybe they know from the histology?

If you can fill in as much detail you know in your profile, that's useful for answering questions.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 12:10
My post op PSA was 1.5. Worst results they had in 2 yrs. I’ve had virtually no other treatment and am here 5 1/2 yrs on so panic is not necessary. Having said that I’m very incurable now at 53
User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 13:39

Hi Andy,

He had a psa level of 12 before op and Gleason score of 6. Though doctor said cancer was low level it was everywhere and all 12 samples at biopsy showed cancer. He had a scan a couple of weeks ago but consultant didn't say if it showed anything just that they were going to do radiation just in case. I couldn't go to appointment with him because of covid and my husband isn't the best at asking questions. 

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 13:46

Thank you Chris.