Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

So worried for my dad

User
Posted 11 Nov 2020 at 20:23

Hi everyone

im just looking for a bit of moral support/advice really. So my dad is 69. His brother was diagnosed with prostrate cancer around the age of 67 and has been living with it for 6 years. So a couple of months ago my dad found a lump in his groin which was checked and turned out to be a cyst. He had his PSA levels checked shortly after ms they were slightly raised (just over 4 I believe). My dad has been reporting significant back pain for some time- this coupled with his higher psa level he was referred for an MRI. The result has come back and they’ve found a lump (not sure where) that they’ve said is a level 4 which I believe means they think is cancer. He has a biopsy tomorrow.

I’m really struggling with the possibilities of what this could be. My dad isn’t in the best of health either. He’s overweight, has sleep apnea and lympodema. I’m really worried that the pain in his back is linked. I’m beside myself but really trying to be positive for him.

Can anyone offer any advice/info or similar stories

thank you 

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 01:56
The first thing to do is to order or download the ‘Tool Kit’ comprehensive information folder from the publications section of this website, in case he does have prostate cancer.

In the meantime, you can’t do much else until the results of the biopsy come back in two or three weeks. So cross your fingers, and let us know the outcome.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 10:06

Misscroft,

sorry you find yourself here. I'm guessing the level 4 is the PIRADS or Likert score from the MRI, which means there's something that needs checking out, but an MRI can't generally diagnose cancer. This is the purpose of the biopsy. But the level 4 might refer to something else - difficult to tell when it's been passed through several people verbally.

I think most people in your dad's position would have back pain, regardless if they had cancer or not.

You really just have to wait for the biopsy results, which will be an anxious 3 weeks or so.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 01:56
The first thing to do is to order or download the ‘Tool Kit’ comprehensive information folder from the publications section of this website, in case he does have prostate cancer.

In the meantime, you can’t do much else until the results of the biopsy come back in two or three weeks. So cross your fingers, and let us know the outcome.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2020 at 10:06

Misscroft,

sorry you find yourself here. I'm guessing the level 4 is the PIRADS or Likert score from the MRI, which means there's something that needs checking out, but an MRI can't generally diagnose cancer. This is the purpose of the biopsy. But the level 4 might refer to something else - difficult to tell when it's been passed through several people verbally.

I think most people in your dad's position would have back pain, regardless if they had cancer or not.

You really just have to wait for the biopsy results, which will be an anxious 3 weeks or so.