Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ongoing issues for over a year

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 11:19

Good morning everyone, 

Back in August 2019 I was having terrible urges to urinate all the time with pain around the private parts. I was prescribed antibiotics and have had 3 courses over the year. My PSA has been taken twice and been normal. I had a DRE on Wednesday and now been referred to see the Urologist within 14 days. Has anyone been down a similar route. I’m 42 years of age 

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 13:25

Hi Matt,

Sorry you are here. I don't think people with PCa have pain associated with the peeing problems, and you're a young age which again makes cancer less likely. Your normal psa is good news too, though if it had been elevated I would probably have said more likely bacterial, than cancer. The unusual DRE is interesting, I think that can be things other than cancer, but the 14 day referral means whoever did the DRE wants to at least cover their arse.

We have had members on here with cancer in their 40s, it has been known in the 30s. So it is possible you have cancer, but I'd say the chances are much more that it is an infection. Please post back with any more news you get. 

Dave

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 13:45

Thanks for the reply. 

He said the prostrate is large and felt unusual around the side if I remember correctly. 
My flow is very slow at present and driving me mad as I sometimes have very small dribbles through the day 

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 15:42

Matt,

Large prostate and poor flow are more usually symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), but can be prostate cancer, so it does have to be checked out.

There isn't much you can do until you get test results, which can make this an anxious time. Typically it takes about 6 weeks to hear.

It might help you to know what's likely to happen. Usually, the first thing is to get called for an mpMRI scan, and then a few days later, for an appointment with urology. Many urology departments operate what they call a one-stop-shop nowadays where you will be called in for half a day or a whole day, to give time for investigations and multiple tests if necessary, to try and get it all done in "one-stop". If the mpMRI scan or a DRE shows something suspicious, they will need to do a biopsy (the mpMRI scan can't diagnose cancer, only suggest where to look for it). It typically takes 3 weeks to get the results from a biopsy, and some hospitals will call you in for a bone scan during that period (which doesn't mean they think there's cancer in the bones, but they have to rule it out).

Hopefully, they'll turf you out with a clean bill of health or suggest treatment for BPH.

User
Posted 18 Nov 2020 at 11:12

Thanks for the reply. 
The GP said my PSA was 0.6 and feels I should be seen due the rectal exam