I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamsulosin cessation

User
Posted 15 Nov 2020 at 19:51

Two years on from Brachytherapy I have just managed to get off Tamsulosin, now my pee stream is "adequate" with a little starting delay at night. When I say "adequate" I mean it is about 4mm at best.  I am wondering if I have some sort of partial blockage or maybe a stricture.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  

John  

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 00:08
How do you measure urine flow in millimetres? Not being funny, just asking as I am intrigued.

Is that the urethral diameter? Or is it a typo? 4 millilitres doesn’t seem much either, if you’ve just drunk five pints!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 00:43

The measure you're after is what's known as the peak flow rate, measured in ml/sec. This is the best simple indication of any outflow obstruction.

The peak flow rate typically happens 4-8 seconds after the stream starts for a healthy man. A value ≥ 10ml/sec is considered acceptable for a man of our sort of age. For someone with no prostate problems, it could be 25-30ml/sec. The peak flow isn't maintained for long, as flow rate drops off as the bladder empties.

You need a peak flow rate meter to measure this. There are some other things you can measure which might be interesting, but not clinically used. Typical length of time peeing is 22 seconds, and you could measure your average flow rate by timing you peeing into a measuring jug, but I don't know what typical figures for that are.

Men pee slower at night and when they've just woken up. This is because the internal urinary sphincter is under the control of part of the autonomous nervous system which takes longer to wake up than your conscious nervous system, although any outflow obstruction might make this effect more noticeable. However, you don't want to measure your peak flow on these occasions.

One thing to check for is, are you still fully emptying your bladder? Your sphincter relaxes for a set period of time which is normally plenty enough to empty your bladder. However, if you are peeing very slowly, you won't empty your bladder in this time, known as incomplete voiding. This raises the risk of acquiring a urinary infection, because the urine left behind each time keeps any infection seeded. It will also cause you to need the toilet more often because you aren't starting with an empty bladder each time. One way to check for this is to do what's called double voiding. After you finished peeing, wait 60 seconds, and then have another pee. If there's more there than the urine your kidneys collected in that 60 seconds, then you didn't fully empty first time. You can use double voiding as a method to ensure you have fully emptied each time, as an alternative to Tamsulosin.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 09:43

Sparrow

When I had my ongoing stricture problem I would pee into a Boots Urine bottle and use my watch to time how long it took. I then divided mls by time and got the "average" flow. My consultant was impressed on how accurate the average figure was in comparison to the hospital machine.

As Andy has said you need the right equipment to get an accurate and detailed picture of the issues.

Wasn't there a couple of guys who built flow rate machines ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 10:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Wasn't there a couple of guys who built flow rate machines ?

Yes, I built a peak flow rate meter, using some repurposed kitchen scales and a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Here's a talk I gave on it to a Raspberry Pi group, which unknown to them in advance, turned into a prostate cancer awareness talk. (Unfortunately, the projector kept disconnecting and reconnecting, confusing my laptop.)
https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/14627-scales-and-flow-meters

A urologist has since put together an opensource project so you can make your own if you are in to opensource and microcontrollers. He also sells an add-on part to integrate it into hospital systems for professional use.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 10:37
I’m still on Tamsulosin, nearly two years after RT. Only one tablet every other day, but if I miss one I really notice the difference after a couple of days. It’s a drug that works wonders.

Chris

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 11:44

There are multiple reasons to take Tamsulosin.

After biopsies and brachytherapy, one of those reasons is to try to make it easier to pass out any resulting debris and clots with them less likely to get stuck, particularly while there may also be swelling pressing on the urethra. This is only an issue for a short time after the procedure (allowing longer for LDR/seed brachytherapy as the treatment continues 3-6 months after the procedure).

The main long term reason to take Tamsulosin is to help with relaxing the smooth muscle of the internal urinary sphincter and prostate, to achieve better flow rate. It may be that some time after hormone therapy and/or radiotherapy, a large prostate shrinks, reducing pressure on the prostatic urethra and the need for Tamsulosin reduces.

Just be careful you don't put yourself at risk of retention (not being able to pee) - that requires a visit to A&E, so take advice from your consultant. Some people 'test the water' by trying it alternate days for a while first, although because Tamsulosin is a quick short acting drug, even that might not be safe in all cases. (There's no withdrawal effect, it's just the risk of coming off it, if you did indeed need it to prevent retention.)

It is also an uncontrolled blood pressure reducing drug. When you come off it, keep an eye on your blood pressure as it might rise and need controlling.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 14:31

How do you measure urine flow in millimetres? Not being funny, just asking as I am intrigued.

Is that the urethral diameter? Or is it a typo? 4 millilitres doesn’t seem much either, if you’ve just drunk five pints!

Cheers, John.

I must warn you John, I am a retired engineer, and I am prone to start quoting formulae, and since I cannot measure the actual flow rate and can only guess at the pipe ( outlet) diameter and cannot measure pressure either I simply used a guessing stick measure to calculate the size of the visible liquid stream. I estimated this to be around 4 mm in diameter. This varies depending on the time of day ( or night) but seems independent of how much I drink.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 14:44

Some interesting information there, thank you all. I will try the scales and pee bottle and time it in the interest of accuracy. I suspect that I do not empty my bladder completely, I have had a couple of infections. I could build a proper flow meter, I am "into" electronics.

John

EDIT Using the method of urine amount in a given time I have calculated my average flow to be around 14ml per second. So I conclude I don't have an obstruction.  

Edited by member 16 Nov 2020 at 15:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 17:20

Don't forget the side effect that Tamsulosin can have on the eyes, the iris muscles to be more precise.

"Floppy iris syndrome" can make eye surgery more difficult and it's very important to make the eye surgeon aware that Tamsulosin is being taken, if undergoing a procedure on the eye.

For me the legacy of 10 years on Tamsulosin is pinpoint pupils which is no big deal other than it takes my eyes longer to adjust to the dark.  The condition is permanent and 5 years on since coming off Tamsulosin I still have pinpoint pupils.

Oh and the occasional question from a medic who has spotted my pinpoint pupils "are you taking a recreational drug" to which I reply "no but a bit of puff would be nice".

Roger
User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 17:55
That is very interesting Roger. I must have been on Tamsulosin for over 30 years now. I didn't think my eyes were 'pinpoints' or know Tamsulosin could have this effect but some of the opticians/opthalmists do sometimes have trouble in getting my eyes to dilate. (I have regular check ups because of having Glaucoma and although they have a list of my medication, this has never been offered as a reason for this).

It was a long time ago that I had my flow test. It was done by me peeing into a bucket with a nurse watching and assessing!! Things have moved on since then, fortunately!!

Barry
User
Posted 16 Nov 2020 at 19:34
Interesting. I too have a family history of glaucoma and hence have regular eye checks. My optician knows I'm on Tamsulosin but has never mentioned it as a concern for my eyes.

Chris

User
Posted 19 Nov 2020 at 19:26
Update: My GP requested a series of blood pressure readings after I contacted him regarding my slightly raised BP after stopping Tamsulosin. I was told firmly but politely in future I was not to stop any medication without consulting with a GP. I am now on Tamsulosin for good, and I have to submit further BP readings in a month. I knew that Tamsulosin could and does affect BP but it seems that for me it is a dual edged sword, pee flow and BP reduction.

Oh well, another fine mess I got myself into.

John ( 11 pills now and counting!)

User
Posted 20 Nov 2020 at 03:26

Do you still need it for flow rate?

If not, it would be better to have a proper BP reducing medication. Tamsulosin doesn't last 24h (well, it drops off significantly in less than 24h), so relying on it to produce a required drop in BP probably isn't a great policy.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2020 at 08:19
When I was on Tamsulosin my GP suggested that I could decide when I no longer needed it - which I did, stopped it around 2 years ago. Interesting the tips on double voiding - I have being doing it on my overnight visits, having a couple of walks along the landing then having a second pee. Very effective, but don't need to do it during the daytime.
User
Posted 20 Nov 2020 at 12:47

Do you still need it for flow rate?

If not, it would be better to have a proper BP reducing medication. Tamsulosin doesn't last 24h (well, it drops off significantly in less than 24h), so relying on it to produce a required drop in BP probably isn't a great policy.

My flow is better with Tamsulosin but I can manage quite well without it. I am already on Ramipril and Felodipine for BP and stopping the Tamsulosin pushed my BP up beyond where the GP wants it, so I agreed it was reasonable to start it again which I have done. BP is already down.   I have to "shop around" for medications that I tolerate, I have reactions to all sorts of normal(ish) meds. Last time I had amoxicillin for instance I finished up with jaundice and liver problems, so that another one added to my no no list!   John