Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

nightime problems

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 09:04

Hi everyone,

Its usually my oh posting but this is Mr L.

I had my rp in Dec 2018 and everything is progressing well apart from nightime visits to the toilet where i struggle to pee . Yet when i get up in the morning its a normal flow. I had a camera investigation which found no constrictions from scar tissue at the bladder from the op or any other reasons. In all other was im almost back to normal but this is quite frustrating , although im acutely aware that this is a minor problem compared to men who are not as fortunate i have been. My psa remains undetectable.

many thanks. 

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 10:01

No idea on the cause, but I had terrible trouble peeing after my biopsy.

The best technique I found to help was sitting down, leaning slightly forward and exhaling (whistling works).

Hope this might help you.

Edited by member 17 Nov 2020 at 10:02  | Reason: Not specified

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 10:13

Hi Mr. L,

I've mentioned this a few times, but it's maybe worth repeating.

Men pee slower at night, and immediately after waking up. This is because the internal urinary sphincter is a smooth muscle (as opposed to a skeletal muscle) and is under the control of the autonomous nervous system, not under conscious control. That part of your autonomous nervous system takes longer to wake up than your conscious nervous system, and it's still mostly asleep if you get up for a quick pee at night.

Your case would appear to be more extreme. It may be that your internal urinary sphincter, for whatever reason, is relaxing less that it used to, and combined with reduced effectiveness at night, this takes it over the edge into unsatisfactory operation.

Are you on Tamsulosin? If not, it might be worth asking if you can try it to make night time peeing easier. In this case, you would take it with the last meal of the day. Ask your GP or consultant about this. In theory, you can get it off-prescription for up to 6 weeks, but I would always recommend speaking with your GP or consultant first, to ensure it's not contra-indicated by any other medications or medical conditions. You need to be careful if you take it with PDE5 inhibitors, as they're both uncontrolled blood pressure reducing medications, and can make you faint if they pull your blood pressure too low.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2020 at 12:52
thanks for your interest and replies.

Andy , that makes a lot of sense to me and certainly fits with whats happening.