Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

advice on covid shielding after the operation

User
Posted 24 Nov 2020 at 18:58

Hi Folks,

Had my RALP in late October and pleased to report making good recovery. I may have been told but I can't recall, did anyone get clear advice on any specific covid precautions following surgery? I'm asking as my wife is a key worker and being asked to return to work ASAP after lockdown is lifted. I'm thoughtful that as a household we should be isolating, but can't recall a timing for this. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

HJ 

Edited by member 24 Nov 2020 at 22:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Nov 2020 at 22:48
Might be wrong but I don't think you fall into the extremely vulnerable group that need to be shielding.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 06:55

You're a month past surgery, so you should be well on the way to physical recovery from your operation. Unless you have some other health condition, Covid will be no more dangerous for you than for anyone else your age, so no need to shield.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by member 25 Nov 2020 at 06:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 14:52

You can make some judgement of the status of the wounds inside you by how your stomach is healing.  I was given 4 weeks of anti-DVT injections.  Presumably that offers quite a buffer past a critical date.   I'd be thinking, as said above, that your surgical wounds are fairly advanced in healing.   

Another thought is that the big cut in the middle of my stomach was sore if strained for quite some time.  If you got Covid and were coughing a lot it might be sore.    Perhaps you can tell if it is sore when you lift things or if you get up from lying down now.  Although in reality that's perhaps not a major thing.   If she goes back next week it will make it about 2 weeks before you'd get it from her anyway and it will have healed more.

We're both retired but there are times when I try not to get too close to my wife in case one of us gets it from somewhere that seemed a bit iffy.  Especially facing each other closely.  Like a cold you never know where you got it anyway, but apparently according to ONS data being in groups of 6 or more increases your chances quite a lot.

Regards
Peter

Edited by member 25 Nov 2020 at 14:54  | Reason: Not specified