Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exercise after Operation

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 00:55

Hi All,

I am hopeful my Radical Prostatectomy will take place early next year but am wondering if and when I will be able to return to the gym and road running after surgery.

I have an entry in the London Marathon and have been working hard on my training prior and since diagnosis.  I also train in the gym with weights on a daily basis but concerned that post op I will suffer incontinence, have to wear pads and be unable to maintain any fitness.

Have any other members on this site had a similar experience and how did you manage to return to training?  Am I being over optimistic of lifting weights after only a few weeks and running long distance almost every day.

thanking you in advance.

Neil

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 11:22

Morning. 

I am 65 years old fit in body and mind and had RP last july 2020.

Pre surgery, keep your self fit and active,physically and mentally, for me it really did help. Also do your pelvic floor exercises, again ,really helped me.

Post surgery. 

I had minimal pain, discomfort.  I had catheter for 10 days. I was walking,steadily 3km after 3 days ,with no discomfort, just inconvenience of the catheter.  Catheter removed again no discomfort. 

I continued walking each day building my strength and positivity. 

Early Sept I was anxious to run again. On a Friday morning I went for a jog, 3km, with pad  in place.  I completed my job,no issues, pain ,or leakage!!

I slowly built up my activities and Oct went back to work,as a sports coach. (Rugby and football). I have been careful in my approach but sm confident to run around a pitch and participate as I need to.

I partake in weekly circuit training classes and regularly use an exercise bike. ( after 12 weeks).

I am sure that you will regain your fitness if you are careful and prepare your body for surgery. 

Most importantly, post surgery.  Listen to your body. If it hurts,you are doing too much or something too early.

Nb. I hardly need pads now. !!!

Stay positive. 

All the best 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 15:45

It is major surgery and however fit you are it will take a while

I started walking as soon as I was back home after surgery. 

Week 10 started running, cycling and exercising at 10 weeks but built things up steadily.

I absolutely would not be lifting any weights until at least week 10. 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 00:55

Hi All,

I am hopeful my Radical Prostatectomy will take place early next year but am wondering if and when I will be able to return to the gym and road running after surgery.

I have an entry in the London Marathon and have been working hard on my training prior and since diagnosis.  I also train in the gym with weights on a daily basis but concerned that post op I will suffer incontinence, have to wear pads and be unable to maintain any fitness.

Have any other members on this site had a similar experience and how did you manage to return to training?  Am I being over optimistic of lifting weights after only a few weeks and running long distance almost every day.

thanking you in advance.

Neil

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 14:15

https://www.santishealth.org/prostate-cancer-information-centre/exercise-after-radical-prostatectomy/

You might like to have a read of the above article.

Be guided by your surgeon, however, my husband’s told him he could resume cycling after 4wks which we ignored and he waited a full 3 months (some recommend longer if nerve sparing).

My husband attended the gym 5 days a week but because of Covid and treatment he’s not been since March.

Best wishes.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 16:55

I was told...

* no driving for 2 weeks

* no strenuous exercise or sex for 4 weeks (including hoovering and lawn mowing 😂)

* no cycling or horseriding for 6 weeks

There is a risk of hernia if you get back on the weights too soon. Walking is very much encouraged. 

At 52 and fit you have a good chance of getting over the incontinence thing very quickly - particularly if you spend time between now and surgery working on your pelvic floor muscles.

Edited by member 27 Nov 2020 at 16:59  | Reason: Not specified

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 14:15

https://www.santishealth.org/prostate-cancer-information-centre/exercise-after-radical-prostatectomy/

You might like to have a read of the above article.

Be guided by your surgeon, however, my husband’s told him he could resume cycling after 4wks which we ignored and he waited a full 3 months (some recommend longer if nerve sparing).

My husband attended the gym 5 days a week but because of Covid and treatment he’s not been since March.

Best wishes.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 15:45

It is major surgery and however fit you are it will take a while

I started walking as soon as I was back home after surgery. 

Week 10 started running, cycling and exercising at 10 weeks but built things up steadily.

I absolutely would not be lifting any weights until at least week 10. 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 16:55

I was told...

* no driving for 2 weeks

* no strenuous exercise or sex for 4 weeks (including hoovering and lawn mowing 😂)

* no cycling or horseriding for 6 weeks

There is a risk of hernia if you get back on the weights too soon. Walking is very much encouraged. 

At 52 and fit you have a good chance of getting over the incontinence thing very quickly - particularly if you spend time between now and surgery working on your pelvic floor muscles.

Edited by member 27 Nov 2020 at 16:59  | Reason: Not specified

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 11:22

Morning. 

I am 65 years old fit in body and mind and had RP last july 2020.

Pre surgery, keep your self fit and active,physically and mentally, for me it really did help. Also do your pelvic floor exercises, again ,really helped me.

Post surgery. 

I had minimal pain, discomfort.  I had catheter for 10 days. I was walking,steadily 3km after 3 days ,with no discomfort, just inconvenience of the catheter.  Catheter removed again no discomfort. 

I continued walking each day building my strength and positivity. 

Early Sept I was anxious to run again. On a Friday morning I went for a jog, 3km, with pad  in place.  I completed my job,no issues, pain ,or leakage!!

I slowly built up my activities and Oct went back to work,as a sports coach. (Rugby and football). I have been careful in my approach but sm confident to run around a pitch and participate as I need to.

I partake in weekly circuit training classes and regularly use an exercise bike. ( after 12 weeks).

I am sure that you will regain your fitness if you are careful and prepare your body for surgery. 

Most importantly, post surgery.  Listen to your body. If it hurts,you are doing too much or something too early.

Nb. I hardly need pads now. !!!

Stay positive. 

All the best