I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Only just 50 and Big PSA jump . Very nervous !

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 17:34

Hi all

just turned 50 and generally fit , was going through a virus/ severe cold and being responsible went to see my Gp about a 3 weeks ago to see if it was covid ( pretty sure it wasn’t ) I was also having slight discomfort when peeing and had a few nights of having to get up for a night pee so mentioned to him about it all . He offered me the chance of some blood tests to check out things plus PSA , he almost talked me out of it as my last  routine blood test was 18 months ago and all my results were normal and Psa was 1.4. Which I now know is ok for a 49yr old ..  Anyway I decided to get the Bloods booked in and although I felt better in a few days and have had no recurrence of peeing issues since my Cold/ virus cleared up 2/3 weeks ago my tests were done last week and results came back today . All perfect except my PSA 10.1 !!!  Went in to talk with Dr and he has sent my urine off for test but I am in bits .. I have zero other symptoms and no history in family but obviously if this result is correct I’m pretty damn worried .. 

Any help or advice I’d is very welcome , looks likely that I have PC but I guess there is a chance I don’t ??

thanks for any guidance 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 19:23

Hi Dram

really appreciate this reply bud , I have actually booked to see a private urologist this Thursday so hopefully he can do a few more tests and give me a little more hope.. I guess there is a chance it could be infection of some sort as such a sudden a large spike does seem strange ..... 

thanks

max

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 13:44

This is for everyone that helped me out over the last few weeks and for anyone recently scared by high PSA tests !!

just met with my Urologist yesterday to go through recent re done  blood tests after AB’s and 6 week wait after first one. 

Thankfully has come down from 10.1 to 2.4. And Urologist feels it will probably come down to my base level of around 1.5 if I get another test done in 6-12 months which is what I’m he recommends !

so as David above experienced himself , DONT PANIC if u have a high PSA , it may well be nothing !!

Thanks everyone and Stay Safe

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 17:51
Don’t try to diagnose yourself!

You should be referred to a urologist and take it from there. It’s entirely possible you have a urinary tract infection or other non-cancerous prostate problem which has increased the PSA reading.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 17:59

I am surprised that a DRE was not offered.  That was the first thing my GP did when my PSA was raised, however I am older than you and there may be other reasons why a DRE is not being done.  

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 18:31
Sorry, I don't understand - why do you think you have cancer?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 18:33

Hi john

obviously you are right and I shall try to stay in the moment , just looked at my past blood tests over the years and 10years ago PSA was 2 and 4 years ago it was 1.6 ( u can see I don’t have blood tests very often lol ) I had no idea what PSA even was then ! So I guess it was stable to going lower until now . Just shocked the hell out of me.

Thanks for taking the time to talk though 

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 18:36

Hi Sparrow

thanks for the response , I think the Gp seemed genuinely surprised and was adopting the line that I would get a follow up blood test in a few weeks because he was not convinced it was correct. ??

but yes I was at the very least expecting some FINGER tests !!! :( 

I have a tele conference with urologist on fri this week , not even face to face !

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 18:38

Hi lyne

well my PSA has jumped from 1.4 to 10.1 in 17 months .. just seems very extreme and has me thinking the worst

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 19:12

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer back in Feb 20 after having a PSA check in Sept 19 which came back at 5.6

the reason I asked for the PSA test ( I had zero symptoms ) was because back in 2006 ( I was 44years old )  I had a bit of trouble going to the toilet and my GP sent me for a blood test and one of the tests was for PSA and when it came back it was 12 ! did some research back then and got really worried, anyway got an antibiotic, seen a urologist privately and he did the DRE and wasn’t concerned following another PSA test reading came down to 4 and the next one which was about 1 month later down to below 1 so the Consultant came to the conclusion that I had had some form of infection, high PSA doesn’t always mean Cancer.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 19:23

Hi Dram

really appreciate this reply bud , I have actually booked to see a private urologist this Thursday so hopefully he can do a few more tests and give me a little more hope.. I guess there is a chance it could be infection of some sort as such a sudden a large spike does seem strange ..... 

thanks

max

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 19:33

Yes Max  it’s scary and your minds go to different places but my experience 14 years ago should give some hope that’s it’s something simple enough and it raises your awareness of the PSA etc. Plus my experience led to me getting checked last year and discovering I had prostate cancer and getting diagnosed really early, awareness means a lot, all the best and let us know how you get on.

Regards

David

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 20:00

Hi David

yes it has certainly focused my mind on PSA testing !!!! 

I will defo update , good or bad news, this site is so welcome and I’m so thankful for its existence and people like you taking the time to listen and respond .

max

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 20:29
An increase in PSA simply means that investigations are required to determine the cause. Sure it may be prostate cancer - but it probably isn’t.

Please let us know the outcome of your tests.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi lyne

well my PSA has jumped from 1.4 to 10.1 in 17 months .. just seems very extreme and has me thinking the worst

Ah, okay. Well PSA is not that reliable, it could be 50 or 80 and the man gets the all clear - or it could be 3.0 and have spread already. The fact that the GP has sent off a urine sample and proposes to repeat the PSA in a few months indicates that s/he doesn't believe it is cancer (which should be reassuring) although if the test comes back with no sign of infection, it would probably be wise to ask for a referral to urology rather than wait 6 months for another PSA test.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:13

Hi Chris

Yep more tests on my horizon , hopefully with positive outcomes but we shall see.

thanks for the upbeat answer , eases my mind a little ...

Max

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:24

Hi Lyn

fingers crossed for Dodgy urine then !! Well he said 4-5 weeks for a follow up PSA and I have actually booked myself a Urologist appointment this Thursday as really think I want an expert view plus a Dre is warranted ( though not desired ) ..

thanks for the positive words 

Max

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 17:20

Hi all

just a follow up as promised ....

saw the Private Urologist last night and he carried out a DRE , which he said was absolutely fine with no issues at all. Like with Dram earlier , he feels I have lingering infection that may well have changed my PSA results and has put me in 10 day course of AB’s and booked a follow up blood test for Mid Jan 2021.. he feels this is the likely situation but of course was sure to point out there was still a 30% chance it’s something else !!

anyway fingers crossed and I will report back after next test. 
thanks everyone for advice and listening

Max

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 13:44

This is for everyone that helped me out over the last few weeks and for anyone recently scared by high PSA tests !!

just met with my Urologist yesterday to go through recent re done  blood tests after AB’s and 6 week wait after first one. 

Thankfully has come down from 10.1 to 2.4. And Urologist feels it will probably come down to my base level of around 1.5 if I get another test done in 6-12 months which is what I’m he recommends !

so as David above experienced himself , DONT PANIC if u have a high PSA , it may well be nothing !!

Thanks everyone and Stay Safe

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 18:20
Good news. As you've now discovered, an increase in PSA does NOT mean that you have prostate cancer (unless it's in the hundreds or thousands); it's simply a flag that investigations are required. Delighted that you've been given the "all clear".

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 19:40

Thanks Chris

Best wishes

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 23:00
Great news jimbill