I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Keeping a Diary or Log??

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 19:03

Having decided to go for the Hormone & Radiotherapy treatment I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile keeping a diary or log of how the different side effects manifest themselves, e.g. frequency, severity, status, progress etc.

I see some community members record key results in their profile and while this would form part of my diary, I was thinking more of recording things that happen on a daily basis.

I have noticed from some posts read here that GPs often advise patients to "wait and see" if they report a concern, which strikes me as not particularly helpful!  Yes they need evidence, so a diary or log should provide that!

It would have to be relatively simple, quick to do and not become a chore or too laborious!  So I was just wondering whether anyone has embarked on such a diary or log (for side effects of Hormone & Radiotherapy treatment in particular) and whether they can offer any advice or suggestions based on their experiences??  Thanks!

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 20:49

John,

My job is a data scientist/programmer, so I'm used to collecting all available data on systems I manage and analysing it. I turned that on myself as the subject to be analysed.

I've kept a very detailed records, in different forms, but all as Excel spreadsheets...

A very detailed diary which records everything relevant on a day-to-day basis. It now gets an entry less than once a week as I'm close to finishing treatment and nothing much is changing, although that might increase as I get my testosterone back during puberty Mk II. During radiotherapy treatment, there's at least one entry a day, and sometimes more. It also records:
All my clinician meetings, who was there, what the discussion and outcome was;
All changes in medication, and for hormone therapy jabs I record injection site, batch no, expiry date (I was doing my own HT jabs, and I pass that data back to my GP to record in my patient records, just as they normally  would).
PSA and testosterone test levels.
This covers almost 2½ years and runs to 12 A4 sheets when printed out.

A summary version of above with just the clinical records. It did get given to clinicians a few times, and I can see it made its way into my hospital records. My consultant would always ask me things like how long I'd been on hormone therapy, what my PSA was, etc, because he knew I could find it faster than he could in the hospital records.
3 A4 sheets when printed out.

Detailed body weight taken daily using body composition scales, so I can also see how my muscle and fat have been impacted by hormone therapy. Didn't start until a month after starting HT. I actually measured and recorded everything about me I could which might be impacted by the treatments. This included blood pressure (patchy record), blood glucose (monthly), penis size, testicle size, breast size. Some things I didn't know about at the start, and added later, such as urine peak flow rate and bladder capacity.

A few clinicians have have looked through my data and found it amazing, including England's top urologist at a conference. He said "If you were my patient, I'd be asking for a presentation - we never get this sort of detail back from patients". My consultant radiographer was very interested in the effect of brachytherapy on sexual function - he said he's often asked by patients, but there's no data they can refer to. At my 12 month review, I graphed the incidence of rectal bleeding I have (very minor) for my consultant - that's worth a thousand words and more precisely conveys the situation, so I get better guidance back.

I've used the data quite extensively in presentations that I do to patients, and for answering patient questions. I mentioned one here quite recently where a patient asked some questions after a talk including how long did it take to lose my body hair on hormone therapy, and I could look it up and say I first noticed it at 17 weeks (and it's still continuing 2 years later). There's no way I'd remember that 2 years later if I hadn't recorded it.

Another table I keep is a giant spreadsheet with all my blood test results, so it's easy to see how any particular one changes over time. Often gave a copy to a clinician, as they found it so useful.

For me, I'm pretty sure it was a psychological factor too, of me being in charge of my disease, and something that helped me mentally to handle it.

So go for it!

By the way, one thing I wished I asked for was a testosterone test before I started hormone treatment, so I know what my normal testosterone level is, and thus how much of it I get back afterwards. I will never know now.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:40

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
You might find, like my OH, that there is very little to record

You can record as much or as little as you wish.

Here's one of mine:

16/7/2019
RT Treatment #7
Treated on LA10.
640ml in bladder afterwards, peak flow 25ml/sec.
More surface blood when wiping.

As with any diary, you are recording it for *you*. If it's useful for something else, that's a bonus. By the way, 640ml seems to be something of a record for me. General principle of a data scientist - record everything, decide what's useful later. Not saying that's what you should do, but that's what I did.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 20:34

I keep a diary anyway, so I duly recorded all the stuff that happened to me. I don’t use a pre-printed diary - they’re too restrictive - but just a hardback ruled notebook in which I just write as much as I feel needs writing each day. I typically get about two days to a page, but I don’t start each day on a new page; I just leave a blank line, write the new date, and carry on. I generally three quarters or so fill a 250 page A5 notebook each year (I start a new one every year). I find keeping a diary a therapeutic exercise.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 20:47  | Reason: Not specified

User

John, quite a few have done daily reports on the days events during RT. Quite useful as a record I often struggle to remember when certain events took place. Quite a few of us stick to the same thread makes it easy if looking back for something. Also useful to make a note of your threads in your profile so you can find them.

Hope your treatment goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:00

I have noticed from some posts read here that GPs often advise patients to "wait and see" if they report a concern, which strikes me as not particularly helpful! Yes they need evidence, so a diary or log should provide that!

You might find, like my OH, that there is very little to record - "attended RT - went to work - went to gym - *no effects" on most days and then "attended RT - saw onco - went to work - went to gym" on Wednesdays. I think there is a risk that for someone expecting lots of side effects and problems, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The other thing is that for some side effects, there is little or nothing that the GP or RT team could offer so evidence isn't going to make any difference.

*Edited to say that isn't strictly true - the moobs were a problem. 

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 20:54

I have now been prescribed Bicalutamide 50mg, which I plan to start on Monday (7 Dec 2020) as I have to see GP a week on from start for first injection. No idea what the injection will be (but will ask GP when see them). Second injection three months later. Oncologist previously advised me I'd be on HT for 18 months so presume this is tablets (Bicalutamide 50mg daily) and something else every three months by way of injection. Why the two?

I have read one needs to have a single dose of RT within a month of starting HT to stop breast swelling and pain. Oncologist's Medical Sec is apparently arranging first consultation appointment but haven't heard anything yet. Hope they don't set it for after Christmas as it may well be too late for single dose of RT. Wondering whether to delay start of tablets until date of consultation is known so can get single dose of HT within required timescale?

Over the weekend need to do baseline tests and measurements. Have ordered a Testosterone level test from Holland & Barrett and pick up on Sunday. Planning to take weight, chest, waist and penis measurements for log. Will ask Oncologist for Bone Density Scan. ED Clinic first appointment booked for 11 January 2021 (later than would have liked).

Anything else I need to do by way of baseline measurements? Advice and suggestions always welcome. Thanks.

John

Edited by member 05 Dec 2020 at 16:50  | Reason: Date corrected!

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 21:21
You only have a short course of the bicalutimide at the start of your HT journey - usually 2 or 4 weeks. The first HT injection would cause a tumour flare so the bicalutimide compensates for that. It isn't essential to have the injection 7 days after you started the bical but it needs to be somewhere between days 7-10 so yes, get the GP appointment booked and confirm that they have ordered in the injection before you start taking the tablets.

When you ask the doctor about which HT it is, check whether the first dose given is definitely a 3 month dose - some doctors give a 1 month dose the first time in case of serious reaction.

Some NHS trusts will allow a short dose RT to the breast buds but not many - you can ask but if it hasn't already been offered to you, my guess is that your area doesn't do it, or only offers it to men who are on bicalutimide long term. In fact, the research says that the RT should be given before you start taking the bicalutimide. Another postcode lottery, some NHS trusts will allow men to be prescribed tamoxifen but again, not available everywhere and many oncos would say it is unnecessary with injectable HT.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 23:07

Hi John,  I have a pocket notebook I take to appointments and did a website of how things were going.  The website also has ramblings and bits of info I liked.   Although after a while there isn't too much to write about.  You've reminded me to update it.

https://sites.google.com/site/myprostateprobleminlancashire/home

I wondered if blood pressure, pulse and temperature would be any interest.  I have a blood pressure machine as I was told to reduce it a bit.  Boots do a cheapish one.  I notice the GP uses an Omron so I bought the cheapest of those from Lloyds Chemist for about £20.

I also bought a temperature sensor as I read some stuff about how a medic sent his wife to hospital when her temp didn't come down with Covid, whereas his had gone down.

I also have a Garmin sports watch that has loads of data from a wrist based pulsemeter.  You can also buy them with SpO2 measurement which is apparently good for Covid worriers.   Mine has VO2 max calculated from pulse and distance/speed.

The Garmin calculates BMI as well.  Although I calculated my own previously.

The Garmin data is stored in the cloud uploaded via bluetooth to my mobile although you can use a pc.  You can keep other records in the Garmin app as it asks you how you feel.  The PC version shows the more than the mobile app.  I switch it on to have a map of my daily walk with analysis.  Although I do a bit of jogging and gym.

Not that I'm a hypochondriac, well maybe,  I seem to spend a lot of time inputting stuff.  Like the daily Covid C19 app from covid.joinzoe.com and having ONS blood tests.

Hope it goes well, regards Peter

Edited by member 04 Dec 2020 at 23:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 23:14

I have now been prescribed Bicalutamide 50mg, which I plan to start on Monday (7 Nov 2020) as I have to see GP a week on from start for first injection.No idea what the injection will be (but will ask GP when see them).Second injection three months later.Oncologist previously advised me I'd be on HT for 18 months so presume this is tablets (Bicalutamide 50mg daily) and something else every three months by way of injection.Why the two?

If you want the full medical details of how this works, watch a lecture I gave on, it which PCUK recorded:

How Hormone Therapy Drugs Work

The injections you have will be a GnRH Agonist hormone therapy (one of Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl).

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 00:26

Over the weekend need to do baseline tests and measurements.Have ordered a Testosterone level test from Holland & Barrett and pick up on Sunday.Planning to take weight, chest, waist and penis measurements for log.Will ask Oncologist for Bone Density Scan.ED Clinic first appointment booked for 11 January 2021 (later than would have liked). Anything else I need to do by way of baseline measurements?Advice and suggestions always welcome.Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, I also used body composition scales to measure body fat, visceral fat, and body muscle. Testicles are another one to measure. Also, blood glucose and blood pressure if you wish to track those.

For breasts, there are two factors at play, breast bud/gland growth (more likely on bicalutamide, but won't happen within the one month anti-flare dose), and breast fat growth - moobs (more likely on the injections). However, either type of HT can cause either/both effects.

The RT blast to breast buds or Taxmoxifen only protects against breast bud growth, not breast fat growth. Tamoxifen is about 70% effective, and the RT blast is about 50% effective. To protect against breast fat growth, and waist fat growth, it's a matter of limiting calorie intake.

You are exceedingly unlikely to get a DEXA (bone density) scan. I was told I wouldn't get one until 2 years on HT at the earliest. When I asked more recently (before I knew I was coming off HT), my onco said he was happy to book me in, but he'd be surprised if I got it within 6 months. Also, it's a more significant X-ray dose than a plain X-ray. Since he then said I could stop HT, we didn't pursue it.

For breast buds, have a really good feel around your nipples, and you probably won't feel any glands underneath at all, but it's worth doing this so you know what's there to start with, if you are going to keep an eye on it.

For moobs, measure the difference in chest measurement under your moobs verses at the most prominent part of your moobs. (I looked up how to measure for fitting a bra;-)

You could ask your GP if you can go on to 5mg daily Tadalafil when you start HT, to protect penis from damage. I went in planning to argue for that, but before I opened my mouth, my GP said, let's get you on Tadalafil since you're starting HT. I was very lucky - many people struggle or are refused this, even if the ED clinic or consultant says you should be on it.

Incidentally, I just took part in some research on side effects of prostate cancer treatments, and the researchers were blown away by the detail I could give them from my logs, and how I'd used it to produce reports for my consultant.

Edited by member 05 Dec 2020 at 00:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 00:49
I keep details of all treatments, Clinic, hospital or GP, and as many printed results as I can lay my hands on, including Scan Cd.

It follows on from my initial treatment in France, diagnosed 15 years ago today, that the Doctors don’t keep the notes YOU do!

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 16:39

I recall seeing recommendations for body composition scales that recorded data on an app or PC in previous posts and can't now find them! Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have Garmin Index smart scale, which is the older version of the current S2 model.

Integrates well into the Garmin Connect ecosystem, which I use for tracking cycling and fitness activities (data freak here). Not the cheapest, but they work for me. Garmin Connect works on the web or on a phone app. You'll need the phone app to sync data from the scales.

There are others which cost less, but I have no experience of those. Hopefully someone else will chip in.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 16:44
I was on 150mg/day bicalutimide for 18 months (that's the dose if you're on it as a primary treatment). Tamoxifen held off the boobs for a year, but then it started. Who knew that growing boobs hurt so much? 😁. My oncologist suggest two doses of chest-bud RT (on two successive days) and that stopped it in its tracks.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 18:40
Although I have never kept a diary before, I keep contemporaneous notes of my condition, from diagnosis to surgery and its aftermath, and they must be of some use to some people as there have been 12,000-odd views of my musings.

If people are interested (and some are not) they can see what might happen in their case if they opt for surgery.

So if you feel like it, document your own treatment experiences of hormone therapy to inform others.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 18:55
Not a diary as such but a quick note of any side effects of the upfront Chemo on each day of the 21 day cycle, just to see how it compared for dose 1 to 6. Surprisingly similar each time over the 18 week course so at least knew what to expect.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

Show Most Thanked Posts
User

I keep a diary anyway, so I duly recorded all the stuff that happened to me. I don’t use a pre-printed diary - they’re too restrictive - but just a hardback ruled notebook in which I just write as much as I feel needs writing each day. I typically get about two days to a page, but I don’t start each day on a new page; I just leave a blank line, write the new date, and carry on. I generally three quarters or so fill a 250 page A5 notebook each year (I start a new one every year). I find keeping a diary a therapeutic exercise.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 20:47  | Reason: Not specified

User

John, quite a few have done daily reports on the days events during RT. Quite useful as a record I often struggle to remember when certain events took place. Quite a few of us stick to the same thread makes it easy if looking back for something. Also useful to make a note of your threads in your profile so you can find them.

Hope your treatment goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 20:49

John,

My job is a data scientist/programmer, so I'm used to collecting all available data on systems I manage and analysing it. I turned that on myself as the subject to be analysed.

I've kept a very detailed records, in different forms, but all as Excel spreadsheets...

A very detailed diary which records everything relevant on a day-to-day basis. It now gets an entry less than once a week as I'm close to finishing treatment and nothing much is changing, although that might increase as I get my testosterone back during puberty Mk II. During radiotherapy treatment, there's at least one entry a day, and sometimes more. It also records:
All my clinician meetings, who was there, what the discussion and outcome was;
All changes in medication, and for hormone therapy jabs I record injection site, batch no, expiry date (I was doing my own HT jabs, and I pass that data back to my GP to record in my patient records, just as they normally  would).
PSA and testosterone test levels.
This covers almost 2½ years and runs to 12 A4 sheets when printed out.

A summary version of above with just the clinical records. It did get given to clinicians a few times, and I can see it made its way into my hospital records. My consultant would always ask me things like how long I'd been on hormone therapy, what my PSA was, etc, because he knew I could find it faster than he could in the hospital records.
3 A4 sheets when printed out.

Detailed body weight taken daily using body composition scales, so I can also see how my muscle and fat have been impacted by hormone therapy. Didn't start until a month after starting HT. I actually measured and recorded everything about me I could which might be impacted by the treatments. This included blood pressure (patchy record), blood glucose (monthly), penis size, testicle size, breast size. Some things I didn't know about at the start, and added later, such as urine peak flow rate and bladder capacity.

A few clinicians have have looked through my data and found it amazing, including England's top urologist at a conference. He said "If you were my patient, I'd be asking for a presentation - we never get this sort of detail back from patients". My consultant radiographer was very interested in the effect of brachytherapy on sexual function - he said he's often asked by patients, but there's no data they can refer to. At my 12 month review, I graphed the incidence of rectal bleeding I have (very minor) for my consultant - that's worth a thousand words and more precisely conveys the situation, so I get better guidance back.

I've used the data quite extensively in presentations that I do to patients, and for answering patient questions. I mentioned one here quite recently where a patient asked some questions after a talk including how long did it take to lose my body hair on hormone therapy, and I could look it up and say I first noticed it at 17 weeks (and it's still continuing 2 years later). There's no way I'd remember that 2 years later if I hadn't recorded it.

Another table I keep is a giant spreadsheet with all my blood test results, so it's easy to see how any particular one changes over time. Often gave a copy to a clinician, as they found it so useful.

For me, I'm pretty sure it was a psychological factor too, of me being in charge of my disease, and something that helped me mentally to handle it.

So go for it!

By the way, one thing I wished I asked for was a testosterone test before I started hormone treatment, so I know what my normal testosterone level is, and thus how much of it I get back afterwards. I will never know now.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:00

I have noticed from some posts read here that GPs often advise patients to "wait and see" if they report a concern, which strikes me as not particularly helpful! Yes they need evidence, so a diary or log should provide that!

You might find, like my OH, that there is very little to record - "attended RT - went to work - went to gym - *no effects" on most days and then "attended RT - saw onco - went to work - went to gym" on Wednesdays. I think there is a risk that for someone expecting lots of side effects and problems, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The other thing is that for some side effects, there is little or nothing that the GP or RT team could offer so evidence isn't going to make any difference.

*Edited to say that isn't strictly true - the moobs were a problem. 

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:40

You might find, like my OH, that there is very little to record

You can record as much or as little as you wish.

Here's one of mine:

16/7/2019
RT Treatment #7
Treated on LA10.
640ml in bladder afterwards, peak flow 25ml/sec.
More surface blood when wiping.

As with any diary, you are recording it for *you*. If it's useful for something else, that's a bonus. By the way, 640ml seems to be something of a record for me. General principle of a data scientist - record everything, decide what's useful later. Not saying that's what you should do, but that's what I did.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 20:54

I have now been prescribed Bicalutamide 50mg, which I plan to start on Monday (7 Dec 2020) as I have to see GP a week on from start for first injection. No idea what the injection will be (but will ask GP when see them). Second injection three months later. Oncologist previously advised me I'd be on HT for 18 months so presume this is tablets (Bicalutamide 50mg daily) and something else every three months by way of injection. Why the two?

I have read one needs to have a single dose of RT within a month of starting HT to stop breast swelling and pain. Oncologist's Medical Sec is apparently arranging first consultation appointment but haven't heard anything yet. Hope they don't set it for after Christmas as it may well be too late for single dose of RT. Wondering whether to delay start of tablets until date of consultation is known so can get single dose of HT within required timescale?

Over the weekend need to do baseline tests and measurements. Have ordered a Testosterone level test from Holland & Barrett and pick up on Sunday. Planning to take weight, chest, waist and penis measurements for log. Will ask Oncologist for Bone Density Scan. ED Clinic first appointment booked for 11 January 2021 (later than would have liked).

Anything else I need to do by way of baseline measurements? Advice and suggestions always welcome. Thanks.

John

Edited by member 05 Dec 2020 at 16:50  | Reason: Date corrected!

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 21:21
You only have a short course of the bicalutimide at the start of your HT journey - usually 2 or 4 weeks. The first HT injection would cause a tumour flare so the bicalutimide compensates for that. It isn't essential to have the injection 7 days after you started the bical but it needs to be somewhere between days 7-10 so yes, get the GP appointment booked and confirm that they have ordered in the injection before you start taking the tablets.

When you ask the doctor about which HT it is, check whether the first dose given is definitely a 3 month dose - some doctors give a 1 month dose the first time in case of serious reaction.

Some NHS trusts will allow a short dose RT to the breast buds but not many - you can ask but if it hasn't already been offered to you, my guess is that your area doesn't do it, or only offers it to men who are on bicalutimide long term. In fact, the research says that the RT should be given before you start taking the bicalutimide. Another postcode lottery, some NHS trusts will allow men to be prescribed tamoxifen but again, not available everywhere and many oncos would say it is unnecessary with injectable HT.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 23:07

Hi John,  I have a pocket notebook I take to appointments and did a website of how things were going.  The website also has ramblings and bits of info I liked.   Although after a while there isn't too much to write about.  You've reminded me to update it.

https://sites.google.com/site/myprostateprobleminlancashire/home

I wondered if blood pressure, pulse and temperature would be any interest.  I have a blood pressure machine as I was told to reduce it a bit.  Boots do a cheapish one.  I notice the GP uses an Omron so I bought the cheapest of those from Lloyds Chemist for about £20.

I also bought a temperature sensor as I read some stuff about how a medic sent his wife to hospital when her temp didn't come down with Covid, whereas his had gone down.

I also have a Garmin sports watch that has loads of data from a wrist based pulsemeter.  You can also buy them with SpO2 measurement which is apparently good for Covid worriers.   Mine has VO2 max calculated from pulse and distance/speed.

The Garmin calculates BMI as well.  Although I calculated my own previously.

The Garmin data is stored in the cloud uploaded via bluetooth to my mobile although you can use a pc.  You can keep other records in the Garmin app as it asks you how you feel.  The PC version shows the more than the mobile app.  I switch it on to have a map of my daily walk with analysis.  Although I do a bit of jogging and gym.

Not that I'm a hypochondriac, well maybe,  I seem to spend a lot of time inputting stuff.  Like the daily Covid C19 app from covid.joinzoe.com and having ONS blood tests.

Hope it goes well, regards Peter

Edited by member 04 Dec 2020 at 23:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 23:08
Thanks Lyn. Been given Bical tablets for 28 days so that would make sense now. From your post I gather these stop after 28 days and the injections take over, so to speak.

Oncologist previously advised injections at month one and month three so I'd assumed the first one was month one but it seems these are the subsequent injections. I will check when I see the GP, and also ask about RT to breasts..

Many thanks. John

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 23:14

I have now been prescribed Bicalutamide 50mg, which I plan to start on Monday (7 Nov 2020) as I have to see GP a week on from start for first injection.No idea what the injection will be (but will ask GP when see them).Second injection three months later.Oncologist previously advised me I'd be on HT for 18 months so presume this is tablets (Bicalutamide 50mg daily) and something else every three months by way of injection.Why the two?

If you want the full medical details of how this works, watch a lecture I gave on, it which PCUK recorded:

How Hormone Therapy Drugs Work

The injections you have will be a GnRH Agonist hormone therapy (one of Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl).

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 00:26

Over the weekend need to do baseline tests and measurements.Have ordered a Testosterone level test from Holland & Barrett and pick up on Sunday.Planning to take weight, chest, waist and penis measurements for log.Will ask Oncologist for Bone Density Scan.ED Clinic first appointment booked for 11 January 2021 (later than would have liked). Anything else I need to do by way of baseline measurements?Advice and suggestions always welcome.Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, I also used body composition scales to measure body fat, visceral fat, and body muscle. Testicles are another one to measure. Also, blood glucose and blood pressure if you wish to track those.

For breasts, there are two factors at play, breast bud/gland growth (more likely on bicalutamide, but won't happen within the one month anti-flare dose), and breast fat growth - moobs (more likely on the injections). However, either type of HT can cause either/both effects.

The RT blast to breast buds or Taxmoxifen only protects against breast bud growth, not breast fat growth. Tamoxifen is about 70% effective, and the RT blast is about 50% effective. To protect against breast fat growth, and waist fat growth, it's a matter of limiting calorie intake.

You are exceedingly unlikely to get a DEXA (bone density) scan. I was told I wouldn't get one until 2 years on HT at the earliest. When I asked more recently (before I knew I was coming off HT), my onco said he was happy to book me in, but he'd be surprised if I got it within 6 months. Also, it's a more significant X-ray dose than a plain X-ray. Since he then said I could stop HT, we didn't pursue it.

For breast buds, have a really good feel around your nipples, and you probably won't feel any glands underneath at all, but it's worth doing this so you know what's there to start with, if you are going to keep an eye on it.

For moobs, measure the difference in chest measurement under your moobs verses at the most prominent part of your moobs. (I looked up how to measure for fitting a bra;-)

You could ask your GP if you can go on to 5mg daily Tadalafil when you start HT, to protect penis from damage. I went in planning to argue for that, but before I opened my mouth, my GP said, let's get you on Tadalafil since you're starting HT. I was very lucky - many people struggle or are refused this, even if the ED clinic or consultant says you should be on it.

Incidentally, I just took part in some research on side effects of prostate cancer treatments, and the researchers were blown away by the detail I could give them from my logs, and how I'd used it to produce reports for my consultant.

Edited by member 05 Dec 2020 at 00:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 00:49
I keep details of all treatments, Clinic, hospital or GP, and as many printed results as I can lay my hands on, including Scan Cd.

It follows on from my initial treatment in France, diagnosed 15 years ago today, that the Doctors don’t keep the notes YOU do!

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 10:55
I recall seeing recommendations for body composition scales that recorded data on an app or PC in previous posts and can't now find them! Does anyone have any recommendations?
User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 16:39

I have Garmin Index smart scale, which is the older version of the current S2 model.

Integrates well into the Garmin Connect ecosystem, which I use for tracking cycling and fitness activities (data freak here). Not the cheapest, but they work for me. Garmin Connect works on the web or on a phone app. You'll need the phone app to sync data from the scales.

There are others which cost less, but I have no experience of those. Hopefully someone else will chip in.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 16:44
I was on 150mg/day bicalutimide for 18 months (that's the dose if you're on it as a primary treatment). Tamoxifen held off the boobs for a year, but then it started. Who knew that growing boobs hurt so much? 😁. My oncologist suggest two doses of chest-bud RT (on two successive days) and that stopped it in its tracks.

Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 18:35

Have ordered a Testosterone level test from Holland & Barrett and pick up on Sunday.

I'd be interested to know how that goes. I didn't know such things existed.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 18:40
Although I have never kept a diary before, I keep contemporaneous notes of my condition, from diagnosis to surgery and its aftermath, and they must be of some use to some people as there have been 12,000-odd views of my musings.

If people are interested (and some are not) they can see what might happen in their case if they opt for surgery.

So if you feel like it, document your own treatment experiences of hormone therapy to inform others.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 18:55
Not a diary as such but a quick note of any side effects of the upfront Chemo on each day of the 21 day cycle, just to see how it compared for dose 1 to 6. Surprisingly similar each time over the 18 week course so at least knew what to expect.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 07 Dec 2020 at 23:01

I'd be interested to know how that goes. I didn't know such things existed.

I was reading someone's bio where they mentioned they'd not tested their Testosterone levels prior to starting hormone therapy and wished they'd done so as consequently they didn't know when their levels had returned to 'normal'.  Made perfect sense, and got me thinking!  So decided to see if I could get one online as to try and get a test done through GP would delay starting treatment now that I'd received my prescription.

I bought a Medichecks Testosterone home testing kit online from Holland & Barrett for £26.10 (delivered to local store in 48 hrs).  Advised to do test at around 08:00 (when Testosterone is at its highest), which I did before taking my first tablet.  Simple to do: clean finger, use lancet to prick finger, massage finger to draw blood and fill small tube to required limit, secure cap and apply ID label, register it online and post it off to the lab following instructions contained in kit.  Took about 20 minutes in total.  Will update when get results back. 

Edited by member 07 Dec 2020 at 23:05  | Reason: Not specified