I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No symptoms aggressive cancer

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 19:12

Hi, My name is Terry. I was diagnosed two years ago with locally advanced cancer, Gleason 9, stage T3a. Had 20 doses of EBR. 24 months on Zolodex. All the usual side effects, muscle loss, fatigue, weight gain. Some depression, though not serious. Oncologist has agreed to stop Zolodex as my PSA has flatlined at 0.01 over past two years. Chance of cure around 70%. Despite this, now the safety net of HT is gone I’m consumed by negative thoughts over my outcome. Natural or paranoid?

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 20:39

Hi Terry, my diagnosis, timescales, and treatment are very similar to yours. I think I'm lucky that I just don't worry much. I can understand why people in our position do worry, but until I get some hard evidence that things are going wrong I look on the bright side. From other posts on here I think I may be a bit of an exception. A good bit of advice is; don't worry about things you cannot change. Let's hope that you and I are both in the 70%.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 21:05
Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply. Also your optimism, I need to take a leaf out of your book. As a new subscriber to this forum I will keep you updated. Regards, Terry.
User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 21:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Chance of cure around 70%. Despite this, now the safety net of HT is gone I’m consumed by negative thoughts over my outcome. Natural or paranoid?

Hi Terry,

A 70% chance of a cure is awesome!  Having had surgery, EBR and now on some heavy duty HT, mine is not curable.  However, I can still live several more years.  The "safety net" of HT being gone is good news.  It gives your body some time to move back to normal AND if/when you go back on HT the effectiveness of theHT treatment can last longer.

I have learned to not worry about what I cannot change.  Try not to let your negative thoughts get in the way of a full life.  See a psychologist.  I did and it helped alot.  My story is "The rules can change" in the relationship section.

Cam

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 21:28
Hi Cam, Thanks for your positive message. I have only joined this forum today and already thanks to you and Dave am feeling humbled. Regards, Terry.
User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 23:37

Hi Terry,
I think it's a completely expected feeling - my last Zoladex runs out in 3 weeks, and the same feelings cross my mind. Actually, when my onco said I could now stop HT any point I wanted to from 18 months, I said I'll do one more for luck - that one is just finishing.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 23:55

Hi Andy, I guess it's fear of something out of our immediate control. I am finding the more I talk about it the better. Many thanks. 

User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 00:17

This is a thread from a few months ago. It is a bit disjointed because someone called Andrew has deleted his posts, but you can still get a feel for the conversation. 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t23226-It-s-not-a-big-deal---is-it

You are right that the more you talk about things the better you will feel. Whereas it may make others uncomfortable talking about cancer in the big wide world, on this forum it's no holds barred. Incontinence pads, mucas farts, cockrings, you'll hear it all on here and just take it in your stride. 

Dave