Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa elevated 17 months after brachytherapy

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 16:24

hi

please can i ask advice? my 55 yr old husband was diagnosed last yr with prostate cancer, grade 1 but a lot of it.he also had prostatitis so severely that he was hospitalised with it.had brachytherapy last summer june/july.pist brachytherapy psa dropped from 5.0 to 1.1

3 monthly psa has been around 1.1 since.

he started to have urinary symptoms about 6 weeks ago.has had two courses of antibiotics for prostatitis.

last 3 month psa was 3.4 then 3.2 four weeks ago.but yesterdays psa was 5.2 

has anyone any experience or advice about this please? he has been referred back to urology for surveillance and consultant said he wouldnt be concerned unless theres a continual upward trend  but they dont know about this last psa of 5.2 

thank you in advance

kindest regards

suzanne 

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 20:53
It could just be the prostatitis - it can be extremely difficult to treat. Hopefully Andy will come along with some specific advice about that but basically, it may need the prostate to be massaged while the antibiotics are being put through. Generally, a recurrence of prostate cancer wouldn't show up as rises and falls, or such a marked rise.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 21:45

thank you so much for replying

the antibiotics finished a week ago and symptoms of prostatitis gone. 

hopefully it is just the infection thats caused it

kindest wishes S