Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Awaiting Biopsy Results - and Slightly Confused

User
Posted 15 Dec 2020 at 21:10

Hello to all... Just introducing myself and my experience to-date

Had a Transperineal prostate Biopsy last week and waiting for results.  

Journey so far...

Probably notable now that I'd been needing to pee a lot more often during the year prior to this.  Waking at night 3-4 to pee.

Attended Dr early Feb 2020 - Started with some spotting of bright red blood in my semen but this changed within weeks to a large volume of bright red blood in my semen.  I mean more blood than anything else frightened me silly.   NB The large amount of blood in my Semen has been a constant feature from Feb to date

This was accompanied by aching to my left testicle (as a background ache) which became more prominent after ejaculation. Some fatigue and aching in my lower back upon waking in the morning

10th Feb 1st blood test done PSA was  2.6 

24th Feb Change in amount of blood in semen- referred to Urologist

MRI done with a score of 3 - so something there but not sure what

Ultra sound done but nothing found

23 June PSA 3.3

Semen tested for infection but none found

No blood found in urine as far as i'm aware

21 Oct Next blood test - PSA 4.8 on the back of that a Transpereniel Biopsy and Cystoscopy were scheduled

Dec 2020 Cystoscopy done - Nothing found   biopsy done awaiting results.

Now its just the horrid waiting game...

Be interested to know if  anyone else has had such massive amounts of bright red blood where their semen should be?  and how it turned out?

Thanks for reading...

Edited by member 18 Dec 2020 at 23:25  | Reason: More accurate information and dates

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 14:46

That’s great news to hear Mark.  Relax and enjoy your Christmas.

Just want to wish all on the forum a Merry Christmas and say to all those waiting for PCa tests/results Good Luck for 2021.

Thinking of you all.

Take care all,

Ange x

User
Posted 15 Dec 2020 at 23:39

Hi Mark,

You are in probably the most anxious part - waiting for your biopsy result. There's not much we can say until you have that.

The pain you felt is probably in your prostate - your brain doesn't recognise the prostate as a source of pain, so any pain gets referred to nearby organs - testicle and penis are common.

It's very unusual for prostate cancer to be painful in the prostate, and your symptoms may better match prostatitis. The lack of infection in semen doesn't rule that out, because bacterial infections in the prostate can get blocked off, and not generate any contribution to semen. That test should really be done with expressed prostatic secretion, but at this point, wait for the biopsy results first.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 09:16
In the time honoured phrase, calm down dear!

Haematospermia is not usually a symptom of prostate cancer, and your PSA at the start was low and in the normal range (under 4).

I think it’s most likely you have a prostate infection, but your biopsy should determine that.

So many here will attest to the the fact that a PCa diagnosis is not a death sentence anyway.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 14:03
Don't start planning your funeral yet! Your symptoms are not suggestive of prostate cancer, and even if it were to be, localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition. Ok, the treatment's not a barrel of laughs, but it won't kill you.

Waiting for test results is always the hardest part. Just take things a day at a time.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 01:10

Fantastic news Mark.

You might want to be careful about not stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxacin, and possibly for a while afterwards too.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 04:09

Hi Mark,

Great news just before Christmas have a good one.

John.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 16:45

Fantastic news and happy Christmas!

Kev

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 06:07

Hi Mark,

That's great news!

I just want to follow up on Andy62's message regarding "not stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxacin, and possibly for a while afterwards too" as I did that very thing 2 weeks after finishing my post biopsy course of Ciprofloxacin.

I strained tendons in my forearm simply by pulling the petrol cap release lever in my car.

All the best!

Carey

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 10:55

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on a good result and well done Bollinge and Cheshire for the correct diagnosis.

For a moment I shared your relief and recalled it was 45/55, if I recall correctly, as to whether I had prostate cancer from my psa result of 9.9 and how at one fork you walk away and the other you're on a lifelong track.  Although there are many other forks along the way and some people take it without looking back.

I'm due a psa test in the next 6 weeks and just entered my 5th year post op hoping there isn't another fork coming up.

Thanks for writing your result on here as positive experiences are good to show people who are having the same worries as you.

All the best, Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Dec 2020 at 23:39

Hi Mark,

You are in probably the most anxious part - waiting for your biopsy result. There's not much we can say until you have that.

The pain you felt is probably in your prostate - your brain doesn't recognise the prostate as a source of pain, so any pain gets referred to nearby organs - testicle and penis are common.

It's very unusual for prostate cancer to be painful in the prostate, and your symptoms may better match prostatitis. The lack of infection in semen doesn't rule that out, because bacterial infections in the prostate can get blocked off, and not generate any contribution to semen. That test should really be done with expressed prostatic secretion, but at this point, wait for the biopsy results first.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 08:10

Thank you Andy62.  Having looked into things a little more, Im kinda leaning (Hoping) towards the Prostatitis thing.

But as you say just need to wait now and not Google too much (which I hadnt until after the biopsy), but I do wish id found this site, or indeed been pointed towards it much much  sooner, would have helped  with a more balanced outlook. 

Coz as soon as the urologist said cancer and biopsy I really thought my days were up.  It felt like a catch 22... Didnt wanna google but didnt wanna be too nieve about it..  I have been surprised how little info id been given by the Drs and Hospital.

So.... I secretly stopped planning for the garden and started on an exit strategy to get the all those jobs done on the house so my wife doesn't get lumbered with them.  I suspect im not on my own with that.  Its been my own little world of ... how do I tell my (grown up) kids? (no-one knows at present) Need to think about getting those guitars on ebay...  Probably been worse for my wife though.. I think its always worse for the partner.  We've been together in our bubble for nearly 40 yrs, just both retired and its been a cr**py thing to have to contemplate.

And now that i am much more informed.... its like.. oh the odds are less that its cancer, and even if it was a there's so much that can be done.  I so wish someone had helped me realise that sooner.. 

Mind you.. still getting those jobs done, not the kind of motivator anyone wants but its got me off the couch.  

Im making light of it, but I do obviously think about it...  Just less one sided and more hopeful..

Its nice to find somewhere to say this kind of stuff.

Thanks for reading and commenting..

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 09:16
In the time honoured phrase, calm down dear!

Haematospermia is not usually a symptom of prostate cancer, and your PSA at the start was low and in the normal range (under 4).

I think it’s most likely you have a prostate infection, but your biopsy should determine that.

So many here will attest to the the fact that a PCa diagnosis is not a death sentence anyway.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 14:03
Don't start planning your funeral yet! Your symptoms are not suggestive of prostate cancer, and even if it were to be, localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition. Ok, the treatment's not a barrel of laughs, but it won't kill you.

Waiting for test results is always the hardest part. Just take things a day at a time.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 15:38
Thanks guys... Yep, I know you are all of course right.. Just got my appt through for next week. so not long to wait... I'll keep myself busy

Take care

User
Posted 23 Dec 2020 at 18:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thanks guys... Yep, I know you are all of course right.. Just got my appt through for next week. so not long to wait... I'll keep myself busy
Take care

RESULTS UPDATE

No Cancer found!  So very pleased about that...

Biopsy identified localised inflamation to left side of Prostate.. 

PSA at time of Biopsy had risen to 6

Diagnosis is Prostatitis 

Antibiotics given

1 month Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily

2 weeks Doxycycline 100 twice daily 

Review with another PSA test in 3 months

Still trying to take it all in but  obviously pleased about the current findings.  Still need a resolution to the symptoms but  am feeling more relaxed about things taking a little more time now.  Am content for now to see how the antibiotics work.

Thanks for reading

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 01:10

Fantastic news Mark.

You might want to be careful about not stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxacin, and possibly for a while afterwards too.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 04:09

Hi Mark,

Great news just before Christmas have a good one.

John.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 14:46

That’s great news to hear Mark.  Relax and enjoy your Christmas.

Just want to wish all on the forum a Merry Christmas and say to all those waiting for PCa tests/results Good Luck for 2021.

Thinking of you all.

Take care all,

Ange x

User
Posted 24 Dec 2020 at 16:45

Fantastic news and happy Christmas!

Kev

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 06:07

Hi Mark,

That's great news!

I just want to follow up on Andy62's message regarding "not stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxacin, and possibly for a while afterwards too" as I did that very thing 2 weeks after finishing my post biopsy course of Ciprofloxacin.

I strained tendons in my forearm simply by pulling the petrol cap release lever in my car.

All the best!

Carey

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 10:55

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on a good result and well done Bollinge and Cheshire for the correct diagnosis.

For a moment I shared your relief and recalled it was 45/55, if I recall correctly, as to whether I had prostate cancer from my psa result of 9.9 and how at one fork you walk away and the other you're on a lifelong track.  Although there are many other forks along the way and some people take it without looking back.

I'm due a psa test in the next 6 weeks and just entered my 5th year post op hoping there isn't another fork coming up.

Thanks for writing your result on here as positive experiences are good to show people who are having the same worries as you.

All the best, Peter