I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What next...

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 06:59

Hi, just joined the forum...  following a PSA level of 100 and an MRI my husband was given a working diagnosis of T4c N1 M1 three weeks ago, since then he has spent over a week in hospital due to bleeding. We have now had the results of a CT scan which show extensive enlarged lymph nodes.

To say this is a shock is an understatement and it’s happening very quickly, can anyone offer advice on what to expect next, a referral to the Oncologist has been made and we are waiting for a final diagnosis...

Edited by member 16 Dec 2020 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 09:55

Sorry to read about your husband’s diagnosis, it seems like there is a lot going on. With a T4,N1,M1 has he been started on any hormone therapy? This would starve the prostate cancer of fuel and start shrinking tumours. 
I’m not sure why he is having the bladder issues, have they said it is prostate cancer related?

I would expect chemotherapy to be included in his treatment too.

I am sure others will come along with their advice.

Until you have all the results a clear plan will not be known.

I hope he gets some relief from theses symptoms very soon.

Ido4

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 14:33
As you know, your old man has got high-grade metatastic cancer, but all is not lost, and so the best thing I can do for you is to ask you to order the ‘Tool Kit’ comprehensive information folder from this website:

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 16:21
Did the medical team not explain that N1 meant that the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes? Do you know where the other places are that they suspect it has spread to (M1 means metastases or spread to places other than the lymph nodes)?

As my friends above have said, if he hasn't already been started on some kind of hormone treatment, I would expect that to begin very soon and they may talk about the possibility of chemotherapy or either abiraterone or enzalutimide as a Covid alternative to traditional chemo.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard