I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is bleeding normal?

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 14:34

My dad had T3 locally advanced PC, Gleason score 9. He has had two HT injections and is due to see oncologist at the end of jan. Recently he has had a week-10 days of passing blood and small clots when he urinates. Today he had a camera into the bladder and with no significant findings. However he was told that bleeding is normal with PC. This is the first time he’s been told this. So can anyone shed any light, is it normal? Or a sign things are advancing and he’d be better pushing to see oncologist sooner?? Many thanks for any advice

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 19:37
Hard to give you an answer without more information like what treatment he is on and what he has had in the past. If the bladder scan was normal today then this is unlikely to be a sign of advancing spread. I wouldn't say bleeding is normal but it isn't rare either.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 21:53

He was only diagnosed in sept following what they doctors believed was benign prostate enlargement and TURPS, however the histology proved differently! Only had two HT injections thus far??

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 22:08
You don't give much details or when TURPS procedure was done which is a sort of reeming of the prostate and maybe blood and clots result from this but should stop given time.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 01:03
When did he have his biopsy?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 07:35

Turps was end of august. This is new bleeding. No catheter since early sept following procedure. In fact no issue at all other than the diagnosis as they had assumed it was benign. Had first gone to GP in March, turps aug, histology sept. 2 HR injections, awaiting oncologist end of jan. No other follow up at this stage or issues until acute bleeding. 

Edited by member 17 Dec 2020 at 07:37  | Reason: Add more info

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 07:19

Anyone?????

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 12:48

Hjp 

Had lots of big blood clots, debris and tissue but always had a logical reasons, surgery, dilatations ,catheter or RT damage to the bladder. I do have CKD3 and kidney issues can produce clots but never experienced them. UTIs can be another cause. Kidney or bladder stones could be another cause. Excessive exercise ? Or injury , trauma? 

Never had clots or bleeding before PC treatments or biopsy. If I had to guess, my first possible symptoms of prostate issues were 10 years before a missed high PSA and 13 years before diagnosis.

Never had TURP.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 13:46
Infection seems the most likely explanation but the results of the camera procedure will presumably be sent to the GP. I would contact the GP to ask whether a sample needs to be sent off to the hospital to check for UTI - some urinary infections do not show up on the GP dip tests.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 20:22

Thank you, I’m worried things have progressed ☹️

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 21:42
If you mean you are worried that the cancer has burst into the urethra or bladder, they would have been able to see that with the camera. I would hope that when they said the bladder was clear, they were telling the truth.