Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just had date for Pre Op and Operaton

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 17:22

Hi,

I have been informed to attend a pre op appointment this Friday, 18th December and have no idea what that will entail so any advice would be much appreciated.

The scheduled date for my Radical Prostatectomy is 7th Jan 2021 and to say I’m anxious is an understatement.  I keep running through my head every scenario imaginable and mainly what could go wrong.  Also have I made the correct decision to have surgery or should I have taken the HR and radiotherapy route.

I am usually a calm and take things in my stride type of guy but because I am not in control of this situation my anxiety levels have gone through the roof.  

Neil

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 18:45

Hi Neil,

I've been there and got "t" shirt

I obviously don't know your details but had my RP March 23rd this year.

The lead up was very scary but I felt I needed to have some treatment and crossed my fingers

For me, life is generally back to normal with minimal side effects and I'm glad I went the route I did. Click on my profile if you want more details

There isn't much to the pre op so if you can try and focus on enjoying Xmas and keeping active and as fit as possible

The very best of luck and ask away on here if you have questions or want to know more about what to expect

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 18:53
Hi , Iā€™m 53. The pre op is a doddle. Just bloods and questions. Iā€™m 5 1/2 yrs down the road now but sadly incurable now. If they get it all out there is plenty of life ahead. I had the worst post op results imaginable but am still here to tell the tale. Click my picture if you want. If you want to avoid ED and have nerve sparing surgery then you need to work work work at it ok
User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 19:51
A pre-op is just an opportunity to check that you are fit enough for surgery and have no underlying health conditions that they didn't know about (like a pacemaker or allergies). Also weight and height so the anaesthetist can calculate how much is needed to knock you out. In current times, the pre-op also includes a COVID test but my guess is that this week is too soon for that so they will ask you to go back again a couple of days before the op.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 22:31

Nothing to a pre-op. They insert swabs into all your orifices to analyse for infections, weigh you, and ask lots of questions. Your nervousness is completely understandable, but just get through it one day at a time. You'll be fine. We've all been there, in one form of treatment or another. Most important thing is to get your cancer sorted, and that's what's being done.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 16:44

Hi Neil,

The pre-op is when you get a lot of fuss and attention and visit various rooms where they check different bits.  They also do an MRSA check which was the only bit that worried me as my op was under a week later and it takes 5 days to clear MRSA if you have it.

They also give you the enema tablets for on the day of op which I wasn't sure about as they didn't seem to do anything to me on the day.  If there was an event they didn't tell me.

My op was 4yrs ago tomorrow.  It was like going to bed and wakening up.   There was no pain at all although there were 3 tubes hanging from me, a drip, a blood drain and a catheter.  The drip was removed in the morning and I did a ward inspection.  I hadn't slept due to beeping and a mega snorer, and my earplugs were in my bag which had been left in the reception.  I can understand you being anxious but the date isn't too far away which in my opinion is a bonus.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 17 Dec 2020 at 16:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 22:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
This inconsistency is a bit shitty...

Crap joke. šŸ˜‚

I didn't have an enema unless they did it after they'd put me under anaesthesia.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 18:45

Hi Neil,

I've been there and got "t" shirt

I obviously don't know your details but had my RP March 23rd this year.

The lead up was very scary but I felt I needed to have some treatment and crossed my fingers

For me, life is generally back to normal with minimal side effects and I'm glad I went the route I did. Click on my profile if you want more details

There isn't much to the pre op so if you can try and focus on enjoying Xmas and keeping active and as fit as possible

The very best of luck and ask away on here if you have questions or want to know more about what to expect

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 18:53
Hi , Iā€™m 53. The pre op is a doddle. Just bloods and questions. Iā€™m 5 1/2 yrs down the road now but sadly incurable now. If they get it all out there is plenty of life ahead. I had the worst post op results imaginable but am still here to tell the tale. Click my picture if you want. If you want to avoid ED and have nerve sparing surgery then you need to work work work at it ok
User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 19:51
A pre-op is just an opportunity to check that you are fit enough for surgery and have no underlying health conditions that they didn't know about (like a pacemaker or allergies). Also weight and height so the anaesthetist can calculate how much is needed to knock you out. In current times, the pre-op also includes a COVID test but my guess is that this week is too soon for that so they will ask you to go back again a couple of days before the op.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 22:31

Nothing to a pre-op. They insert swabs into all your orifices to analyse for infections, weigh you, and ask lots of questions. Your nervousness is completely understandable, but just get through it one day at a time. You'll be fine. We've all been there, in one form of treatment or another. Most important thing is to get your cancer sorted, and that's what's being done.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 22:46

Neil 

Most frequent question is your date of birth.

Mine included, blood pressure, heart ,weight , height, condition of teeth, cap fillings, ECG, blood sample for cross matching, listening to chest and back. A check on how wide you can open your mouth. Current medication, medical history , previous surgery. Urine sample. Lots of questions. 

I got a patient summary from my GP that lists major events and prescription meds.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 16:44

Hi Neil,

The pre-op is when you get a lot of fuss and attention and visit various rooms where they check different bits.  They also do an MRSA check which was the only bit that worried me as my op was under a week later and it takes 5 days to clear MRSA if you have it.

They also give you the enema tablets for on the day of op which I wasn't sure about as they didn't seem to do anything to me on the day.  If there was an event they didn't tell me.

My op was 4yrs ago tomorrow.  It was like going to bed and wakening up.   There was no pain at all although there were 3 tubes hanging from me, a drip, a blood drain and a catheter.  The drip was removed in the morning and I did a ward inspection.  I hadn't slept due to beeping and a mega snorer, and my earplugs were in my bag which had been left in the reception.  I can understand you being anxious but the date isn't too far away which in my opinion is a bonus.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 17 Dec 2020 at 16:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 19:24

"They also give you the enema tablets for on the day of op which I wasn't sure about as they didn't seem to do anything to me on the day"

Just worth noting that this varies from hospital to hospital - some will provide enema tablets to take at home, some will do an enema on arrival at the hospital, some don't require an enema at all.

Edited by member 17 Dec 2020 at 19:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 19:31
User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 22:31

Crap joke. šŸ˜‚

I didn't have an enema unless they did it after they'd put me under anaesthesia.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 00:37

šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼‍ā™€ļø