Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Miss you Dad

User
Posted 30 Dec 2020 at 14:45

Dear All,

I was the carer for my Dad who recently lost his battle with prostrate cancer in first week of December 2020. We were able to look after him in the house until the very end. Although it was tough at times, but it was also very rewarding (due to the time spent with family) and has given me significant experience of various issues or problems men are likely to face during the journey. 

I have been a silent observer of this forum during my journey along with my lovely Dad. It provided me with the required knowledge and courage to carry on. I ,therefore, want to take this opportunity to thank everyone including moderators and regular vocal members. I will try to contribute with my experience (pain management, diet, medication, end of life care etc) in future conversations where possible. 

Although he was on end of life palliative care but on the last day my Dad suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. He was able to have his showers (with support) and food (independently) till the very last day ( two things he liked most) and did not undergo the suffering of the final weeks I was mentally gearing up for.

Miss you Dad!!!!!!

Ranjit 

User
Posted 30 Dec 2020 at 15:19

Ranjit

we are sending our condolences to you and your family. He was Blessed to have you take such loving care of him 🌹

User
Posted 30 Dec 2020 at 19:05
So sorry to see this Ranjit - but what a lovely family you sound to be! I cared for my mum, my mother-in-law and my step-father-in-law at home in the final stages of their cancers and wouldn't change a thing - in time, the painful horrible bits dim and you will be left with the comfort of knowing that your dad was surrounded by love right up to the end.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2020 at 20:55

Sending condolences Ranjit.

Ido4

User
Posted 30 Dec 2020 at 21:56
Dear Ranjit

I am very sorry you have lost your dad. It sounds like you and your family looked after him very well at home and he would have known this and appreciated your care.

I am facing end of life with my dad now, his treatment stopped November and just 4 sessions of palliative radiotherapy and that’s it! We don’t really know what to expect now, like you dad, my dad is eating pretty well and dresses/washes with help.

You are 100% right in that it’s tough but very rewarding to look after them...I think while this time is tough you do get such special moments and feelings that are not possible normally.

I am glad your dad did not have to suffer at the end and hope the same for my dad.

Anne

X