I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Qs after treatment

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 11:42

I haven’t posted for a while but following completion of OH’s treatment I have a few questions for you brilliant people! 

OH has just completed 6 rounds of radiotherapy following 6 rounds of chemo which finished in October. The docs said the chemo worked well and the sternum is ‘healing’ although we didn’t really know what this meant. Also lymph nodes back to normal size.

He’s feeling tired and has some usual symptoms mainly urinary and bowel related but he also has leg and hip aches. Is this normal and could be due to the radiotherapy - he didn’t have this after chemo? Obviously as he is g10 I’m worrying it is down to the cancer in his pelvic region.

The ‘what next’ is a big question and one we are not really wanting to face. Docs said they won’t scan him again and so we will be on the rollercoaster of PSA tests. First one is next week. In October PSA was 0.1. Would we expect to see a fall after radiotherapy or I have read it sometimes causes a slight rise? I assume he is then off the appointment list at the hospital until the PSA changes? 

He has only just been prescribed a pump and medication to help erections. Is this too late to have any effect given that he hasn't had any for months now since the start of HT? I have been trying to advise the ‘use it or lose it’ message but it took him a long time to mention it to the docs and given the months of treatment this is understandably the last thing on his mind - although not mine unfortunately but I fear that boat may now have sailed.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 15:07
Hi Skye,

PSA is quite an unreliably measure at the stage your OH is - a) the chemo does not generally cause the PSA to drop and can often make the PSA rise b) he is still quite newly on HT so being starved of testosterone should be controlling the cancer well c) the RT damages the DNA of the cancer cells which means it continues to work for many months after the RT finished.

All your onco will be looking for over the coming months will be a PSA that isn't rising significantly. A PSA that holds steady rather than falling further does not indicate that the chemo failed. As for the what next, I would fervently hope that the onco doesn't 'take him off the books' yet - even if PSA tests are arranged at the GP practice, you would want the onco to be monitoring what's happening!

Definitely not too late to start with the penile rehabilitation :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 17:13

Skye 

On the penile rehabilitation front, as already said never to late to start and never give up. Over six years post RARP and three years post salvage RT things are still getting better. I had a slow start with the pump due to a stricture, also I was supposedly non nerve sparing.

Have a look at the recent posts from today on erecting the erection.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 15:07
Hi Skye,

PSA is quite an unreliably measure at the stage your OH is - a) the chemo does not generally cause the PSA to drop and can often make the PSA rise b) he is still quite newly on HT so being starved of testosterone should be controlling the cancer well c) the RT damages the DNA of the cancer cells which means it continues to work for many months after the RT finished.

All your onco will be looking for over the coming months will be a PSA that isn't rising significantly. A PSA that holds steady rather than falling further does not indicate that the chemo failed. As for the what next, I would fervently hope that the onco doesn't 'take him off the books' yet - even if PSA tests are arranged at the GP practice, you would want the onco to be monitoring what's happening!

Definitely not too late to start with the penile rehabilitation :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Dec 2020 at 17:13

Skye 

On the penile rehabilitation front, as already said never to late to start and never give up. Over six years post RARP and three years post salvage RT things are still getting better. I had a slow start with the pump due to a stricture, also I was supposedly non nerve sparing.

Have a look at the recent posts from today on erecting the erection.

Thanks Chris