Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New member sharing my story for appropriate advice

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 19:33

Happy new year.

Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself. I am a family man, 59 years of age, lawyer by profession. My friend Trevor who has prostate cancer suggested i join this forum because the members are caring and helpful. I am not sure if sharing my story will raise any interest. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer T3/T4 in June 2019. At the time i was naive and did not understand anything about bowl cancer. The scheduled surgery was cancelled at the last minute and i was put on a 5 week radiotherapy and chemotherapy. The scans after 10 weeks showed good response tumour had disappeared but consultant was of the opinion that cancer cells were present although they agreed MRI scan are not so accurate. Surgery is the golden rule in bowl cancer which i refused. After my diagnose i did some research to understand my situation. Surgery has many complications attached you can end up with a permanent stoma and reoccurrence. I was referred to a senior consultant before the covid lock down who suggested i should have a flexible sigmoidoscopy to assess the situation. This was cancelled due to the lockdown in March. After the MRI scan in November i had a phone consultation with the consultant and was told something showing in the same location. After my diagnose i changed my diet to suggested natural foods, daily yoga and exercise. Currently i have no symptoms and i definitely don't want to follow the route of surgery. My understanding is cancer is the result of the body DNA breaking down. Therefore it the body that needs to clean out cancerous cells. I do intermittent fasting to achieve Autophagy mode. I am positive minded which is important but i am also worried as i don't have a clear pathway to follow for a solution. Any suggestions or information will be appreciated. Kind regards 

Stan

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 20:20

Stan,

There are a lot of us who know about prostate cancer, but there just isn't going to be the same level of expertise about bowel cancer, because it's going off-topic for this forum. You should find a bowel cancer group, where maybe you will find lots of patient knowledge about bowel cancer. What works for one cancer doesn't necessarily work for another. While there's quite a lot of evidence that diet can be a factor in bowel cancer, the evidence for diet playing a part in prostate cancer is much weaker.

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 20:33

Hello @Andy62 thank for your message. I did join a a bowl cancer group which i visit occasionally. 

Regards

Stan

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 20:50
Hi Stan,

I am just starting the prostate cancer journey but I’ve had an 18 month tussle with bowel cancer which has now been eradicated after 3 operations, temporary stoma and reversal.

The Bowel cancer forum was excellent and really got me through it. I’m a lot more frightened at the moment but don’t really understand why!! I guess the bowel issue felt done and dusted I.e. cut the tumour out, Chemo and a bit of plumbing work and I’m back to virtually normal. I’m awaiting the results of a bone scan and essentially I’m terrified! Good luck on your journey

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 21:07

Hi Stan,

Your friend Trevor is right we are caring and helpful, Andy62 is right we don't know much about rectal cancer, but we do know a lot about prostate cancer. 

I would say what we know about cancer in general is that it is a nasty life changing disease, some of it is slow growing like prostate cancer and some is fast growing like pancreatic cancer. I don't know where bowel cancer fits in on that scale. 

Relying on your body to clean out the cancer seems very risky, your body has already failed in its job by letting the cancer start in the first place. Changing diet may help, but that cancer started with one mutant cell by now there are several thousand. Your body cleans up many mutant cells every day but sadly in some people one of those cells gets away and starts the cancer those cells have already mutated to resist your bodies defences. I would definitely listen to the medics, they aren't very good but they are better than us lay people.

Dave

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 21:33

Hello@dave64dia2018 thank you for your message. I agree with part of your perception but there are many members on bowel cancer that followed the surgrey route and had reoccurrence within 12 months. @buzzer77 so sorry to hear of your current situation with your prostate after beating the bowel cancer. Fear only reduces the immune system. You are very fortunate to fight off the bowel cancer and i am sure with a positive approach you will beat the prostate issue as well. Good luck

Edited by member 02 Jan 2021 at 02:31  | Reason: Typing error

User
Posted 01 Jan 2021 at 23:46

Hi Stan,
what country are you in? Generally in the UK we call those body parts the prostate and the bowel, as you will know from your law practice, it is so important to use language precisely.

It might appear from your visits to the bowel forum that people who had surgery have a recurrence but that says more about people who use forums than it does about the success of surgery. I know a number of people who have had the operation and achieved full remission.

You will see on this forum that very few men with prostrate cancer take it lying down, the same could be said of bowel cancer. 

Edited by member 01 Jan 2021 at 23:48  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2021 at 02:25

Thank you for the correction and your message @LynEyre. I am in the UK the mistake was just a typing error.  The current standard  treatment for bowel cancer is surgery and you are correct it does help some people to achieve remission but surgery also has complications attached and the possibility of reoccurrence is high. The risk and benefit factors are always considered in any treatment and the doctors are of the opinion the benefits are higher in following the standard treatment of surgrey. 

User
Posted 02 Jan 2021 at 12:26
I know almost nothing about Bowel Cancer although being a member of several forums I do know that they are largely populated by people whose treatment is ongoing or not produced the best results. You don't hear so much of the many people whose treatment has been very successful or at least given them a considerable increase in time they would not have had without treatment. I therefore feel a more representative idea of success/problems can be gained from consultants and by reading up on highly reliable and medically approved sources. I am not detracting from the many helpful and well informed opinion on this and other forums, just saying what you read may not be truly representative. It's the same on car forums in as much as if you read all the problems people have you can get the impression that all of the marque are highly troublesome and more than they generally are.

Reverting to cancer, men can react very differently to various treatments and sadly when it comes to PCa, at least a small number of men due to permanent incontinence and other side effects, may feel they would have been been in a better position had they not had a particular treatment. It's a bit of a gamble as to whether you will one for whom treatment works well or not and sometimes even with the detailed histology and scans of an individual, a consultant cannot reliably predict outcomes.

Hope whatever path you take works well for you.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jan 2021 at 12:50

Hello@Old Barry thank you you for your message. I agree with your preception it is difficult to assess the outcome of the conventional standard treatment as every case is individual based. However i know a few people who have had many complications during and after the surgery and also had reoccurrence in the same area or difficult area of the body. Cancer is no ordinary disease and one needs to remain mentally positive to fight against this dreadful disease.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 01:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Stan,
what country are you in? Generally in the UK we call those body parts the prostate and the bowel, as you will know from your law practice, it is so important to use language precisely.... 

... very few men with prostrate cancer take it lying down... 

Oh dear Lyn, put the these words in the correct order: pot, kettle, calling, black, the. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 09:48

... very few men with prostrate cancer take it lying down... 

Oh dear Lyn, put the these words in the correct order: pot, kettle, calling, black, the. 

I assumed it was a deliberate joke - hence the "lying down" part. 😄

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.