I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Feeling guilty

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 15:27

Hi i was diagnosed in January 2020 after a serious accident at work, at the age of 55 which was a shock as i showed no symptoms at all i was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer which was in my spine, rib and skull. I had a PSA of 1059 (not a typo) and a gleason score 4+5.

I have had 6 rounds of chemotherapy and on hormone injections every 4 weeks. My PSA is now 1.8 11 months after being diagnosed which is great. The thing is that i haven't been ill at all throughout the whole time and i feel guilty about it when i read other people suffering with cancer.

I feel lucky to have had all my treatment with the pandemic, and people with worse cancer than me missing out on thier treatment

A BIG SHOUT OUT FOR THE NHS 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 15:27

Hi i was diagnosed in January 2020 after a serious accident at work, at the age of 55 which was a shock as i showed no symptoms at all i was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer which was in my spine, rib and skull. I had a PSA of 1059 (not a typo) and a gleason score 4+5.

I have had 6 rounds of chemotherapy and on hormone injections every 4 weeks. My PSA is now 1.8 11 months after being diagnosed which is great. The thing is that i haven't been ill at all throughout the whole time and i feel guilty about it when i read other people suffering with cancer.

I feel lucky to have had all my treatment with the pandemic, and people with worse cancer than me missing out on thier treatment

A BIG SHOUT OUT FOR THE NHS 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 16:09

Hi Andy, what a fab improvement from the treatment, I am in a similar situation 6 years on ( although not as bad as your start point).

dont feel guilty ever because your cancer is not as bad as someone else’s?  You didn’t make it happen or not for you or others. On your basis of guilt someone who is cancer free should be flailing themselves every night for being healthy! 

Please rejoice for the day you have and the good that you can do. Feel only guilty for wasting a day or ignoring an opportunity to help others. 

When I was first diagnosed I started telling my story , about a year after a friend called me sheepishly because they heard me speak, went to the docs, caught prostate cancer early and now are clear. They didn’t want to tell me because mine is incureable and they felt guilty. I said how do you think I feel that my big mouth may have saved your life? They got it, no more guilt just the joy of being alive .

for you my friend, feel grateful, love life, make a difference, do the right thing but never feel bad about something outside your control just give support if wanted.

Take care, be happy. 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 07:02

Thanks for the reply IRUN it makes sense and made me feel a bit more at ease about the guilt i was feeling 

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 10:10
A very, very significant proportion of the members of this forum (me included) found out we had prostate cancer purely "accidentally". In my case it was a visit to my GP about something entirely unrelated and him saying "I see you're over 50 so we may as well do a PSA test while you're here" followed by the dreaded "I need to see you urgently" phone call the next day...

Such is life!

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 16:09

Hi Andy, what a fab improvement from the treatment, I am in a similar situation 6 years on ( although not as bad as your start point).

dont feel guilty ever because your cancer is not as bad as someone else’s?  You didn’t make it happen or not for you or others. On your basis of guilt someone who is cancer free should be flailing themselves every night for being healthy! 

Please rejoice for the day you have and the good that you can do. Feel only guilty for wasting a day or ignoring an opportunity to help others. 

When I was first diagnosed I started telling my story , about a year after a friend called me sheepishly because they heard me speak, went to the docs, caught prostate cancer early and now are clear. They didn’t want to tell me because mine is incureable and they felt guilty. I said how do you think I feel that my big mouth may have saved your life? They got it, no more guilt just the joy of being alive .

for you my friend, feel grateful, love life, make a difference, do the right thing but never feel bad about something outside your control just give support if wanted.

Take care, be happy. 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 07:02

Thanks for the reply IRUN it makes sense and made me feel a bit more at ease about the guilt i was feeling 

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 10:02

Long may your PSA stay low Andy. A pity it took a serious accident to discover you had cancer. 

Ido4

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 10:10
A very, very significant proportion of the members of this forum (me included) found out we had prostate cancer purely "accidentally". In my case it was a visit to my GP about something entirely unrelated and him saying "I see you're over 50 so we may as well do a PSA test while you're here" followed by the dreaded "I need to see you urgently" phone call the next day...

Such is life!

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 15:46

That’s true Chris. I found out “accidentally” too.

Ido4