I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Feeling tearful out of nowhere

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 18:50

I would like to ask everyone out there if you have any down moments out of the blue. 

I finished a round of stereotactic radiotherapy in November and my PSA after was 2. My oncologist informed me  at a meeting soon after with her that it takes time for the radiotherapy to work and any positive results won't show up so soon. I have a pet scan in May and try to put things to the back of my mind

Today I decided to book a blood test for my peace of mind and for some reason this evening I just came over a little bit tearful and moody. 

As much as I am being positive and eating more healthy it's hard not to worry a little bit. Wife, family and friends have been supportive, i even raised £150 in December for Prostate Cancer uk. (my little bit of trying to give something back)

Are my emotions similar to others? 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 19:32

My Husband is on Lupron and Bicalutimide, just been switched to Zytiga  2 weeks ago. I have noticed that when we are watching something slightly ' emotional, I hear a sniffle from his direction. I never say anything, but I can see the tears welling up in his eyes. He would never do this before the drugs .

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 21:47

My husband was more emotional when on hormone treatment but was a sensitive person always. Having an illness can sometimes seem like grief for the life you had before. It is a normal reaction.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 23:01

Winnie,

Hormone therapy can cause exaggerated emotions. It varies between people exactly which emotions are exaggerated, but finding yourself tearful is a common one.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 20:55

I feel for you. In my short experience, I think the emotional aspects of having PC are almost as bad as the cancer itself. After a PSA of 22 and positive diagnosis of "locally advanced" with Gleason 5+5, I've been on HT for 6 weeks now waiting to start RT preparation in January and RT of the pelvic area in Feb onwards. So on top of the emotional roller coaster, the HT is really knocking my emotions (and sleep) all over the place. What gets me most is the fact that at times now I seem to have the emotional control of a 2 year old. Now when you are 2 you don't know any better. As a 61 year old adult, I know that I should not be wailing uncontrollably; suddenly crying for no reason; upsetting my wife (who is trying her hardest but is finding my emotional roller coaster really hard). 

I am sure we all try and "be tough" and get through this. But my goodness it is hard at times and tiring too to keep going. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 21:45

Hi Peter,

It’s so difficult, but as you will see on here a lot are going through exactly the same. It’s normal to be upset and emotional just with everything that’s happened…never mind a load of hormones chucked in!

It does upset me too seeing my husband crying and emotional as I just wish there was more I could do…I think it’s good to have a good cry sometimes though as it’s alot to bottle up. Keep being as strong and as positive as you can and enjoy all the good days and times, but I guess accept that it’s ok to have bad days too.

Take care 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2021 at 07:16
Well done for raising the money .

Unfortunately the side effects can really bring you down , hopefully things will get easier as time goes on and the treatment show’s results.

Best wishes

Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 19:32

My Husband is on Lupron and Bicalutimide, just been switched to Zytiga  2 weeks ago. I have noticed that when we are watching something slightly ' emotional, I hear a sniffle from his direction. I never say anything, but I can see the tears welling up in his eyes. He would never do this before the drugs .

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 21:47

My husband was more emotional when on hormone treatment but was a sensitive person always. Having an illness can sometimes seem like grief for the life you had before. It is a normal reaction.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2021 at 23:01

Winnie,

Hormone therapy can cause exaggerated emotions. It varies between people exactly which emotions are exaggerated, but finding yourself tearful is a common one.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 09:57
Tearfulness is a very common side-effect of HT. Happened to me on a number of occasions.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 20:22
Being unusually or over emotional is one of the known side effects of HT experienced by some men.
Barry
User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 19:39
Without doubt side effects from ht
User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 14:53

Still suffer the emotional bit 5 years after finishing HT. 

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 13:41
It doesn't work like that. The tablets maintain a constant level of bicalutimide in your body. It's not like taking an aspirin where you take the tablet and then a few hours later it's gone. It takes weeks or even months for bicalutimide to leave the body, so changing the time of day that you take the tablet won't change anything.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 22:10

My husband (and myself) were definitely tearful when we first started to find out that something was wrong…..it was a terrible time but I imagine most people go through this.

Since being on Prostap my OH does have emotional moments, and to a degree that I have never seen him before 😢 it isn’t all the time though and the waiting game that we are currently in is probably a big cause too

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 20:55

I feel for you. In my short experience, I think the emotional aspects of having PC are almost as bad as the cancer itself. After a PSA of 22 and positive diagnosis of "locally advanced" with Gleason 5+5, I've been on HT for 6 weeks now waiting to start RT preparation in January and RT of the pelvic area in Feb onwards. So on top of the emotional roller coaster, the HT is really knocking my emotions (and sleep) all over the place. What gets me most is the fact that at times now I seem to have the emotional control of a 2 year old. Now when you are 2 you don't know any better. As a 61 year old adult, I know that I should not be wailing uncontrollably; suddenly crying for no reason; upsetting my wife (who is trying her hardest but is finding my emotional roller coaster really hard). 

I am sure we all try and "be tough" and get through this. But my goodness it is hard at times and tiring too to keep going. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 21:45

Hi Peter,

It’s so difficult, but as you will see on here a lot are going through exactly the same. It’s normal to be upset and emotional just with everything that’s happened…never mind a load of hormones chucked in!

It does upset me too seeing my husband crying and emotional as I just wish there was more I could do…I think it’s good to have a good cry sometimes though as it’s alot to bottle up. Keep being as strong and as positive as you can and enjoy all the good days and times, but I guess accept that it’s ok to have bad days too.

Take care 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2021 at 07:16
Well done for raising the money .

Unfortunately the side effects can really bring you down , hopefully things will get easier as time goes on and the treatment show’s results.

Best wishes

Debby