I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA levels after RALP

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 13:37

Hi there, just had my second PSA reading back after my RALP back in July 2020. Both readings have come back 0.08 . My consultant wants to continue to monitor me with next PSA scheduled in four months. Anybody else have these type of readings after Ralp?

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 14:31

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry that I can't advise from experience but if both of your readings have come back at 0.08 then it isn't changing which is better than it could be.   It could be there is some prostate left behind and it isn't necessarily cancerous.

At many hospitals you wouldn't know this result as they only read down to 0.1 to reduce unnecessary worry.  They won't do anything until it has 3 successive increases or it gets above 0.2, when further treatment will begin.  In fact I'm not sure if it's 3 successive increases above 0.1.

What was classed as undetectable at your hospital?  For example where I go it's <0.05.

You could be some time off needing further treatment if it increases slowly.   Although if it does you might ask for a scan because if it's in the prostate bed or nearby, adjuvant RT could be offered.

Checking every 4 months is unusual as it's normally 3 months for a year, then 6 months to year 3, then annually.

The best you can take from it is while it isn't changing it's unlikely they'll do anything.  I guess it is a worry for you although from my experience the first couple of years are a worry anyway and you hope each year the chances get less but can never be sure.

All the best, Peter

p.s.  if that's your real name you might want to change it as this site is open to searches.

Edited by member 05 Jan 2021 at 14:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 15:20

Thanks Peter really appreciate your reply.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2021 at 22:33

Thomas 

From the comments in your bio your are obviously aware that the PSA is not as low as it perhaps should be. What was your histology like and did your consultant make any comments or predictions. 

As Peter said a stable PSA is better than a rising one. My urology team kept telling they had many patients whose PSA got to 0.1 and stayed there.

I read the NICE guidance as saying, at least six monthly testing for the first two years. Many of us seem to be able to get tested at the intervals we want, I get tested at 4 months.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 00:23

Hi Chris, thanks for replying, my Gleason score was 3+4 was told that although there was quite a lot of cancer within the prostate, it was very curable. After the Ralp I was informed that all the cancer was contained within the prostate. My consultant told me he got good clear margins so not quite sure why PSA is what it is?

Still early days yet, need to stay positive and remember the PSA reading is at least stable. 

User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 01:40
My billion pound super hospital only tests down to 0.1, so less than 0.1 (or <0.1) is classed as undetectable.

I have spoken to my surgeon and two oncologists and none were in favour of what they call ‘super-sensitive assay’ to umpteen decimal points as it causes too much needless anxiety. Keep an eye on the figure, what you don’t want is successive increases.

Come and get your tests done here in Coventry and stop worrying 😉.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2021 at 10:41

Thanks John, will definitely be keeping an eye on the numbers, appreciate your reply.