I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recurrence of PSA after RP

User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 13:48

Hello! I had RP in November 2018. I’ve been monitored every 3 months for the first year and since then every 6 months. PSA has been <0.01 until the latest test which has come back 0.23.... potentially alarming and it has thrown me into a spin. I’m talking to my consultant for the regular check up next week.

Anyone else been down this route?

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 10:57
Great news!!
User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 14:26
It's quite common. Your consultant will probably recommend RT, which has an excellent success rate.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 15:36

Peter 

Unfortunately there are lots of us who have recurrence after surgery. As already suggested salvage RT to the prostate bed area with or without HT treatment is probably the next option. 

You could ask about a scan before treatment, but the PSA is low for detection. The jump in PSA is quite high, there have been some strange PSA results lately.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 02:00
I and two friends had prostatectomies at the same, two with world-renowned surgeons and one with his local NHS consultant.

My two mates both had what’s called ‘biochemical recurrence’ at their first PSA test and have undergone ‘adjuvant’ radio and hormone therapies, and are doing fine now.

I’m the lucky one as my PSA is still undetectable 30 months later.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 22:18

I had biochemical recurrence in 2016 with a PSADT of 1.2 months, Salvage radiotherapy and HT followed. I am due another PSA test soon, November’s was <0.1.

Hopefully follow up PSA tests will be done to see any trend followed by salvage RT with or without HT if required.

It is worrying when PSA starts to rise. Hope you get a way forward. 

Ido4

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:32
2 years post op seems to be a bit of a risk time - John started salvage HT 2y 4m after RP with salvage RT 3 months later. That was 8.5 years ago and all looking fine still.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 07:59

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I thought I should give you an update.....

When I saw my consultant he immediately said that PSA result must be wrong - because of the doubling time it couldn’t have done that over 6 months. He assumed contamination in the lab. So I had another test and he’s just called me to confirm that my PSA is in fact undetectable. So... a lot of anxiety over the last week but all because of lab error!

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 09:18

Well that is fantastic news. I'm sure it must have been an anxious time but great outcome

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 10:25

Brilliant news! 

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 15:01

what a relief for you, great news.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 15:19

Peter 

That is good news, there does seem to have been some odd PSA results lately.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 19:34
Ha! What a relief!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 14:26
It's quite common. Your consultant will probably recommend RT, which has an excellent success rate.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 07 Jan 2021 at 15:36

Peter 

Unfortunately there are lots of us who have recurrence after surgery. As already suggested salvage RT to the prostate bed area with or without HT treatment is probably the next option. 

You could ask about a scan before treatment, but the PSA is low for detection. The jump in PSA is quite high, there have been some strange PSA results lately.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 02:00
I and two friends had prostatectomies at the same, two with world-renowned surgeons and one with his local NHS consultant.

My two mates both had what’s called ‘biochemical recurrence’ at their first PSA test and have undergone ‘adjuvant’ radio and hormone therapies, and are doing fine now.

I’m the lucky one as my PSA is still undetectable 30 months later.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 22:18

I had biochemical recurrence in 2016 with a PSADT of 1.2 months, Salvage radiotherapy and HT followed. I am due another PSA test soon, November’s was <0.1.

Hopefully follow up PSA tests will be done to see any trend followed by salvage RT with or without HT if required.

It is worrying when PSA starts to rise. Hope you get a way forward. 

Ido4

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:32
2 years post op seems to be a bit of a risk time - John started salvage HT 2y 4m after RP with salvage RT 3 months later. That was 8.5 years ago and all looking fine still.
User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 07:59

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I thought I should give you an update.....

When I saw my consultant he immediately said that PSA result must be wrong - because of the doubling time it couldn’t have done that over 6 months. He assumed contamination in the lab. So I had another test and he’s just called me to confirm that my PSA is in fact undetectable. So... a lot of anxiety over the last week but all because of lab error!

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 09:18

Well that is fantastic news. I'm sure it must have been an anxious time but great outcome

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 10:25

Brilliant news! 

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 10:57
Great news!!
User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 15:01

what a relief for you, great news.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 15:19

Peter 

That is good news, there does seem to have been some odd PSA results lately.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Jan 2021 at 19:34
Ha! What a relief!