Hi,

I am male 61

Told I had Locally Advanced prostate cancer 1st Sept 2020

Gleason Score 4+5=9

T3b N1 M0

After several problems I had a TURP and Biopsy in August 2020

An earlier MRI Scan had suggested Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer

Bone and CT Scans along with the Biopsy revealed the above result

Been on Prostap injections since 1st September 2020  (for at least two years)

I now take my next step on my journey.

So today 8/01/21 I go to the Christie Hospital for a Covid test 

Next week 12/01/21 I have a return visit to the Christie this time for Bloods and a Review.

also next week 14/01/21 Cycle 1 of 6 Chemo begins there again.

I would welcome any advise as to what questions I may have over looked for my forth coming review.

I will be having a few weeks break/rest and then will be having radiotherapy ( I don't know how long this will last for) !

Any advice would be so welcome and remaining positive as possible. 

I hope that this all makes sense, best wishes and good luck to everyone  

Take Care 

Spud

"You never know how Strong you are ,

until being strong is your only choice.

Bob Marley

Edited by member 08 Jan 2021 at 17:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 08:51
Hi Spud

Tony had the same diagnosis as you at 61 and was also told incurable, he was 76 last november and is still here although it is now progressing, i can remember when he was first diagnosed thinking 5 years maybe 10 at most and now its 15 years. Stay strong

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:41

Hi spud, 

I think you need to establish whether the treatment is with curative intent. Radiotherapy is usually given with the intention of killing the cancer. Chemo weakens prostate cancer but doesn't usually kill it. Will the radiotherapy include the lymph nodes?

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 09:12
Brilliant post Barbara xxx
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 12:06

Thank You Barbara,

I wish you all well,

Yes I was thinking five - 10 years but the oncologist told me to think in years and tell my wife not to sell the house just yet.

You have given me great encouragement by what you have said.

I saw your profile and the journey has been long and varied,

Please stay safe and good luck for the future.

Tony must be a fighter,

kind regards

Spud

Edited by member 09 Jan 2021 at 12:08  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jan 2021 at 23:41

Hi spud, 

I think you need to establish whether the treatment is with curative intent. Radiotherapy is usually given with the intention of killing the cancer. Chemo weakens prostate cancer but doesn't usually kill it. Will the radiotherapy include the lymph nodes?

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 05:40
Hi Dave,

My Oncologist told me that my Cancer is treatable but not curable and said she would never tell me that I was cured.

So basically I think it's a case of keeping me going for as long as possible.

Thanks for responding.

Originally it was to be prostap injections followed by Radiotherapy.

But when she spoke with me she explained her change of plan, putting the Chemotherapy in between.

She said I was a fighter as I have had a lot to contend with over the years-

Heart bypass at 38 (never smoked, familial)

Anusisym to femeral artery. In my groin.

Total knee replacement recently.

Thanks again

Spud

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 08:51
Hi Spud

Tony had the same diagnosis as you at 61 and was also told incurable, he was 76 last november and is still here although it is now progressing, i can remember when he was first diagnosed thinking 5 years maybe 10 at most and now its 15 years. Stay strong

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 09:12
Brilliant post Barbara xxx
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2021 at 12:06

Thank You Barbara,

I wish you all well,

Yes I was thinking five - 10 years but the oncologist told me to think in years and tell my wife not to sell the house just yet.

You have given me great encouragement by what you have said.

I saw your profile and the journey has been long and varied,

Please stay safe and good luck for the future.

Tony must be a fighter,

kind regards

Spud

Edited by member 09 Jan 2021 at 12:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 23:11

Do not get discouraged. The other day I listened to the podcast Uromigos where they host different urologists, scientists etc. The guest doctor said, these days 20-30% of oligometastatic prostate cancers (that is having less than 5 metastasis) can be cured. Research SBRT, it is a form of radiotherapy, he was saying they have good success rates. Good luck!

User
Posted 13 Apr 2021 at 15:44

My husband completed the same treatment in January. Chemo x 6 started in June last year followed by 6 sessions of radiotherapy. 

He was surprisingly good throughout the chemo. There were short periods of fatigue which seemed to follow a pattern after each cycle. You definitely need to rest when your body tells you. Hair has all grown back and the nails are almost back to normal. 

Important to have a good accurate thermometer to regularly test your temperature. My husband had an elevated temperature but felt ok. On contacting the hospital they kept him in for the weekend and gave intravenous antibiotics. Sounds dramatic but he was just bored more than anything.   

He has just had his second psa result after treatment which is 0.1. His legs ache when he gets up from standing but it eases as soon as he moves. Apart from that he’s really well. Back to cycling and long walks.