I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting for diagnoses

User
Posted 12 Jan 2021 at 16:42

It started in September 2020 woke up one day with right testicular pain.

spoke to GP given antibiotics after one week still the same changed antibiotics:

two weeks later had ultrasound all clear.

Asked to come in by GP for full examination said prostate fine might have hernia.

totally unhappy as I am always in pain aching,lower abdomen pain and stinging tip.

So booked a private consultation with a urologist found a lump on right side of prostate. Told needed an emergency referral .

Had MRI and blood tests. 
PSA of 8.

scored my MRI as a 5 most probably cancer.

Had biopsies yesterday now waiting for results.

My family and I are angry with the GP for mis diagnosis but most importantly we are devastated that it most probably cancer.

Dont know what’s going to happen just thinking the worst at present.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2021 at 18:08

Michael,

This stage of diagnosis is very anxious - sorry you are going through it.

You haven't be diagnosed with prostate cancer as yet. Prostate cancer is almost never painful in the way you describe.

Secondly, your symptoms are in my view pretty much a perfect match for prostatitis, which generates referred pain in testicles and tip of penis, and other areas of the abdomen and rectum. (This is because your brain has no sense of pain in the prostate, so it refers prostate pain to other nearby organs.)

There's no way I can assure you it's not prostate cancer, but I would say it's far from obvious. You will just have to wait until the diagnosis is complete until you know though. The next step will be a prostate biopsy, and it is this which can diagnose prostate cancer.

I'm afraid GP's know rather little about prostates, but it is good that you have been referred, and this should get to the bottom of it.

If it is prostatitis, getting that treated can be a problem, because not only do GP's not know how to, many urologists don't either. We can talk about this if you get to this point.

Here's wishing you don't have prostate cancer.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2021 at 18:49
Even if it is "the worst" and you do have prostate cancer, with a PSA of 8 it's almost certainly going to be localised, which is an eminently treatable condition. You get it sorted and get on with life. Don't equate "cancer" with "death sentence". It really isn't.

We've all been there.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 13 Jan 2021 at 02:47

Testicular pain is not a symptom of prostate cancer, so your GP might be excused for not suggesting it might be a possibility. As Andy said, and in my experience, GPs know very little about prostate cancer!

You will have a worrying time whilst you await the biopsy results (I twigged I had cancer before then, although I had no symptoms, so when the biopsy confirmed it, it came as no surprise).

How old are you?

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 13 Jan 2021 at 02:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jan 2021 at 04:08
Thank you all so much for all your replies
It means so much unfortunately I’m a over thinker and always think the worst.
I’m 55 years old.
That’s the constant thing is my symptoms it’s never got worse over the past 4 months it’s always been the same which is extremely uncomfortable all the time.
My GP has prescribed Codeine for the pain but I am reluctant to take any.
I will keep my fingers crossed for the next 3 weeks.
Thanks
Michael.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2021 at 12:30
Why the reluctance to take codeine, Michael? I've used cocodemol - codeine and paracetamol - as my painkiller of choice for donkeys years. Works really well. "Hospital" grade codeine (which you're frequently given intravenously after surgery) can cause constipation as a side-effect, but I doubt that the tablets you've been prescribed would do that.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Jan 2021 at 13:08
Thanks for the advice.
That was my main concern GP mentioned constipation.,so I just thought with my symptoms and straining it would make things worse.GP even told me to buy laxatives.
I was prescribed 15mg Codeine Phosphate.
I’m pretty fed up with the pain so I will give it a go tonight it cannot be worse than I am feeling at present.
Thanks
User
Posted 13 Jan 2021 at 13:45

Codeine and cocodemol are often prescribed with Movicol (or similar) to keep your guts moving.