I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Prostatectomy - pain after surgery

User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 11:27

Good morning, I am posting on behalf of my father who had his robotic prostatectomy on January 7th. Since then he has had a lot of pain and discomfort from his penis where the catheter bag is inserted. This pain is worse when he is standing and walking and is only better when he is lying down or in his chair which reclines. We contacted our GP who prescribed anti-biotics in case there was some sort of infection present (nitrofurantoin 100mg). Dad also spoke with the nurse at the hospital who said to continue with the anti-biotics. Dad is due to have his catheter bag removed on Friday the 22nd and was considering waiting until then to speak to his consultant. What we want your advice on is:

Has anyone had pain and discomfort like this after their surgery?

Do you think it is best to wait until Friday or to go ahead and ring them tomorrow morning and ask for more advice?

User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 12:46

Mcquade 

I now have a long term Catheter and a few millimetres can make an enormous difference to comfort. Even changing the bag to the other leg can make a difference. I have always used a squirt of instilagel or hydrocaine down the eye of to he penis at the side of the catheter to ease discomfort. It is available without prescription at most chemists, but as with any medication suitable advice should be sort. The antibiotics should sort a suspected infection. If the Catheter is not draining or needs changing make sure it is done by a urologist. I was told don't let anyone else change the Catheter after  my radical prostatectomy. Bladder spasms and "by passing" can be extremely painful and are frequently reported. If in doubt get some medical advice. The discharge ward may be able to help.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 18 Jan 2021 at 13:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 12:52

Is he using a local anaesthetic gel in the eye of his penis? The end of the tube can chafe horribly. Also, is he an allergic type of person? Some people are allergic to the material of the tube.

Edited by member 17 Jan 2021 at 12:53  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 21:12

Hi,  Could it be that the catheter is fixed too tightly or badly.  I recall a doctor saying my catheter needed a better leg strap when I was in hospital as it was too loose and could strain the wound.

It was also unhappy when I sat down in the loo.   Although I didn't have any pain when walking.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 11:26

When I had my catheter in I placed a statlock fixing system on front of each thigh. Worked well for two weeks. I was able to change sides fairly easily if the pipe irritated one side of my urethra entrance. Needed to unclip when sitting on the loo. And I also used surgical tape to double secure the clip and it could ‘ping’ out. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 11:57
Catheters are a bloody nuisance, even though I had a supra-pubic one, not involving my urethra.

It seems most catheters are in for ten days post-op, and maybe Dad’s is in a few days extra to fit in with the overloaded NHS schedule?

Other guys have mentioned an anaesthetic gel that they use, but no-one’s mentioned the name yet, and I can’t remember.

Ask at the chemist. I suppose Bonjela for mouth ulcers would have a similar effect.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 12:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Other guys have mentioned an anaesthetic gel that they use, but no-one’s mentioned the name yet, and I can’t remember.

Chris mentioned a couple of brand names in the second post in this thread.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2021 at 00:10

Chris mentioned a couple of brand names in the second post in this thread.

Must pay attention..

User
Posted 19 Jan 2021 at 13:30

John 

I smiled when I saw your reference to bonjela, I had some troublesome wisdom teeth and after the birth of my daughter found dentinox more effective. 

Apparently instilagel has far more uses than just Catheter care. I have described a large Urethral Catheter as being like toothache.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 Jan 2021 at 19:49

But not while using a catheter!

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 17:18

Hi,

I had my RP on 7/1/21 by keyhole surgery as unfortunately in North Wales I was informed by my surgeon the robot has been approved but not yet built or delivered.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced and 4 days after leaving hospital I had very cloudy and smelly urine.  It looked like egg whites!  I couldn’t walk or stand and stayed either in bed or a chair.

My other half rang the Drs who said I had a Urinary Tract Infection caused by the catheter and prescribed 100mg MacroBID Nitrofurantoin Prolonged Release capsules.  I finish the course on Saturday but after 3 days the infection was much better.

Today, 21/1/21 I had my catheter removed and I can actually walk again without the pain.  I hope things improve for you soon.  Regards Neil