I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Could I understand please the current diagnosis

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 12:33

Husband has PSA score of 136.  Had an MRI Scan and biopsy last week.  Biopsy results due end of Jan 21.  They say that the cancer is Metastatic Prostate Cancer which has metastasized to four bones adjacent to the prostate plus lymph nodes (but not to any organs).  

He has started on Degarelix and this will be given on a monthly basis along with a monthly PSA test.  Other treatment recommended is Enzalutamide and they are keen to use this even if they need to give medication to lower blood pressure which is a little high.

I am especially interested in how it is spread.  Has it GONE into the bones?  He is healthy weight at 56 years old.  No other health conditions.  I know its not cureable but has anyone had anything like this?

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 13:49

Corrie, when it has spread to bones, this means some cancer cells inside the prostate broke free, and were circulating in the blood. Those cells were sufficiently sticky (and probably had some specific DNA mutations) which enabled them to settle in the bone marrow, and start growing. This is the most common way prostate cancer moves to other parts of the body, and bone and bone marrow are the most common destination - almost like bone marrow attracts prostate cells.

It can also move through the lymphatic system from the prostate, and it can move by direct contact with growth from the prostate, but the prostate isn't directly in contact with any bones.

If you are offered Enzalutamide, this is instead of chemo, and I would grab it. It's not normally available until after you've had chemo, but there's a temporary change in the rules due to COVID risk. Chemo comes with risks of other side effects which Enzalutamide doesn't have, and Enzalutamide has been shown to be at least as good. It's not normally available at your stage because it's extremely expensive, but this has been temporarily overriden because of COVID risk just for now.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 14:37
Hi Corrie, I was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer 2.5 years ago.

Follow my profile if you want to see a typical journey.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 17:51
Hi All,

Thank you. Drs have said they want to give a CT scan and then baseline him ready for Enzalutamide.

I know our lives are going to be so different to what we have planned. I know that everyone dies eventually- we just don’t know when. This seems to be cheating and being given a piece of information you don’t normally want.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 21:31

Hello Corrie

It seems we have very similar circumstances. My husband age 54 extremely fit and healthy was diagnosed in October with advanced prostate cancer. Psa was 739 and widespread bone metastisis. This includes his spine. Completely devastated and shocked beyond belief. No family history. We also have 2 grown up sons.

He was started on degralix injections and Abiraterone. The good news is he has responded very quickly to the treatment and psa down to 0.12. He is no longer in awful pain and mobile again. He may even get back to some cycling!

I saw your previous post and how you are feeling is completely normal.! It took me 3 months to stop crying spontaneously.... whether it be in the supermarket, in the car, doing the dishes.  My husband cried a lot too and we have cried together many times at the cruel blow that has been dealt just at a time in our lives where we too thought, OK time for us now. 

The side effects of hormone therapy is a significant adjustment but our priority is treatment and my husband being here for hopefully many many years to come. 

It's early days but we are coping better. The treatment working has been a major boost. We are gathering as much info and research as possible and focusing on staying physically active as this is evidenced to prolong survival.

Hopefully things will improve in the next few weeks once treatment is underway, and you will feel stronger emotionally too. 

The best to both of you on this journey that's been thrown at you. This site is great with lots of knowledgeabke folks, advice and positivity.

Hang in there!