I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Problems with leakage post op.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 15:29

Had a prostatectomy 6 weeks go, catheter was removed two weeks ago, having a real problem with urine leakage any help or info would be much appreciated, thanks.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 08:24

Nez 

My Catheter removal experience was similar to yours. If like me you had just drunk lots of water for your TWOC it is also quite understandable. When I post about Catheter removal I usually advise a towel for the journey home. 

I experimented in the shower with pads and found like you a sudden gush would not be contained by the pad I was using but contracting those pelvic floor muscles would slow things down enough to allow the pad to absorb the urine successfully.

Standing and getting in and out of a car are frequently mentioned as hot spots for leaking, using the pelvic floor muscles before getting up in the key and standing up slowly might help.

Are you doing the exercises already , is the physio appointment for additional help ?

If you can stop the flow mid stream that is a good sign, but doing it all the time is not good for the bladder.

You will have heard it already but early days yet.Hopefully in a few weeks time, there will be a marked improvement.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 16:44

It’s early days Norrie so please don’t feel discouraged. Have you watched any online videos showing you how to do your PFE and are you practicing them?  My husband automatically received telephone follow up from a physiotherapist, have you received this?

Best wishes.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 18:33

Yes Norrie on Youtube.  I have also heard many talk about the NHS Squeezy App which I believe is £2

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 20:45

Norrie 

Have a look at this, just note what she says at approx 4.00 minutes about testing the sphincter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CSP6Sicm8Q

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 02:02

Hi Norrie,

I’m following the responses you get for your query as I am in the same position although my surgery was on 7th Jan 2021.

Since my catheter was removed I’ve had enough accidents that have made me nervous about leaving the house.

My first incident was just after I had my Catheter removed and was waiting for my lift home in the hospital entrance.  I was even wearing a pad but the flow was so quick and fast the pad could not cope.   I have never felt shame like it and my accident came on so quickly.  When my lift arrived my 2nd accident happened on the way home in the car and I was so embarrassed.  The driver was understanding but when I got out and could see the seat soaking wet, I could not apologise enough.

I wear heavy pads but experience leakage when I get up, walk around or in my sleep. I keep telling myself it’s early days and have physio in a few weeks for pelvic floor exercises but these frequent accidents have knocked my confidence.  Maybe I feel rundown and overwhelmed as I had a Urinary Tract Infection whilst catheter was fitted.

Hope you are recovering well and find that members on this site are so kind and helpful.  Regards.  Neil

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 09:41

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you are having a bad time with leakage, if it’s any consolation I feel a bit of improvement in my situation, only slight but it’s encouraging, I’ve been sticking to my exercises as best as I can, someone mentioned the NHS Squeezy app, I’ve been doing that, it really is helpful. I had all the feelings you have had, embarrassment, shame etc etc didn’t feel like a man any more, due to complications in my surgery I woke up with a colostomy bag as well as a catheter, double whammy ! It affected me deeply and at times I thought I really can’t handle this, guess it’s the old saying about the Indomitable Human Spirit but I am slowly but surely coming to terms with it all. Still have the colostomy bag in place but hoping to have it reversed soon. This forum helps me a lot too, nice people and I feel I’m not alone with all of this. Just remember, whatever is happening now, it will get better, maybe not as fast as you would’ve liked but you’re going in the right direction, keep your chin up :) best wishes Norrie.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 10:58

Norrie 

The format can be a little confusing, replies are added in date / time order.  If I am answering a particular person, I find it best to start the reply with the person's username or initials. 

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 16:44

It’s early days Norrie so please don’t feel discouraged. Have you watched any online videos showing you how to do your PFE and are you practicing them?  My husband automatically received telephone follow up from a physiotherapist, have you received this?

Best wishes.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 17:17

Been tying the PFE not sure if I’m doing them right, didn’t realise there were online videos, guessing it’s YouTube ? Thank you for your reply.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 18:33

Yes Norrie on Youtube.  I have also heard many talk about the NHS Squeezy App which I believe is £2

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 18:55

Thank you again, I’ll check them out.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 20:45

Norrie 

Have a look at this, just note what she says at approx 4.00 minutes about testing the sphincter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CSP6Sicm8Q

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Jan 2021 at 21:24

Ok thanks, will do.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 02:02

Hi Norrie,

I’m following the responses you get for your query as I am in the same position although my surgery was on 7th Jan 2021.

Since my catheter was removed I’ve had enough accidents that have made me nervous about leaving the house.

My first incident was just after I had my Catheter removed and was waiting for my lift home in the hospital entrance.  I was even wearing a pad but the flow was so quick and fast the pad could not cope.   I have never felt shame like it and my accident came on so quickly.  When my lift arrived my 2nd accident happened on the way home in the car and I was so embarrassed.  The driver was understanding but when I got out and could see the seat soaking wet, I could not apologise enough.

I wear heavy pads but experience leakage when I get up, walk around or in my sleep. I keep telling myself it’s early days and have physio in a few weeks for pelvic floor exercises but these frequent accidents have knocked my confidence.  Maybe I feel rundown and overwhelmed as I had a Urinary Tract Infection whilst catheter was fitted.

Hope you are recovering well and find that members on this site are so kind and helpful.  Regards.  Neil

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 08:24

Nez 

My Catheter removal experience was similar to yours. If like me you had just drunk lots of water for your TWOC it is also quite understandable. When I post about Catheter removal I usually advise a towel for the journey home. 

I experimented in the shower with pads and found like you a sudden gush would not be contained by the pad I was using but contracting those pelvic floor muscles would slow things down enough to allow the pad to absorb the urine successfully.

Standing and getting in and out of a car are frequently mentioned as hot spots for leaking, using the pelvic floor muscles before getting up in the key and standing up slowly might help.

Are you doing the exercises already , is the physio appointment for additional help ?

If you can stop the flow mid stream that is a good sign, but doing it all the time is not good for the bladder.

You will have heard it already but early days yet.Hopefully in a few weeks time, there will be a marked improvement.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 09:31

No, no follow up from a physio ? Thank you for your reply.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 09:41

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you are having a bad time with leakage, if it’s any consolation I feel a bit of improvement in my situation, only slight but it’s encouraging, I’ve been sticking to my exercises as best as I can, someone mentioned the NHS Squeezy app, I’ve been doing that, it really is helpful. I had all the feelings you have had, embarrassment, shame etc etc didn’t feel like a man any more, due to complications in my surgery I woke up with a colostomy bag as well as a catheter, double whammy ! It affected me deeply and at times I thought I really can’t handle this, guess it’s the old saying about the Indomitable Human Spirit but I am slowly but surely coming to terms with it all. Still have the colostomy bag in place but hoping to have it reversed soon. This forum helps me a lot too, nice people and I feel I’m not alone with all of this. Just remember, whatever is happening now, it will get better, maybe not as fast as you would’ve liked but you’re going in the right direction, keep your chin up :) best wishes Norrie.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 09:46

Tried to reply to your post, don’t think it came up as directed to you personally ? Not very tech savvy but my reply to your post is on here somewhere, hope you can see it Norrie.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2021 at 10:58

Norrie 

The format can be a little confusing, replies are added in date / time order.  If I am answering a particular person, I find it best to start the reply with the person's username or initials. 

Thanks Chris