Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatitis worried

User
Posted 23 Jan 2021 at 16:31

Hi all

im 36 and for past couple of weeks I've had problems when urinating...slow to start, weak stream and going regularly. IT is also difficult to "push" it out with any force. I have developed pain in the perinium.

I went to doctor last week and she took a urine sample. she used the strip and it said it doesn't show bacteria "as such". not sure what she meant by that. She has sent it for a culture bit has given me antibiotics for 2 weeks even though she said there was no bacteria...I don't understand that as surely I shouldn't be taking antibiotics if they won't clear it.

she also did a DRE. it was tender when she touched the prostate but she said it was fine and smooth. me being the worrier that i am is still worried it could be something worse.

she told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen bit these aren't touching it. Any suggestions on how to ease the pain?

User
Posted 23 Jan 2021 at 20:45
Prostatitis doesn't show up in a urine test. Take the whole course of antibiotics
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2021 at 22:29

Your symptoms do sound like prostatitis (and not prostate cancer, which isn't painful in the prostate).

It is usually a bacterial infection, but as Lyn said, it often doesn't come out in urine. It also often doesn't come out in semen (which some doctors will ask for a sample to culture) because the prostate ducts where it is have got blocked off.

You might ask for Tamsulosin temporarily to improve your flow rate, and reduce chances of going in to retention (not being able to pee). The slow flow rate is what causes going regularly, because you aren't emptying your bladder, so it fills up sooner again. (You can buy Tamsulosin off-prescription from a pharmacy for a short period, but I strongly suggest you ask your GP so they can be sure it's suitable for you, and aware you are taking it.)

You need to ask for a referral to urology, if antibiotics alone don't fix it. (They often don't, because they also can't get to the parts of the prostate with infection.) Sometimes they cause short term relief because they are also anti-inflammatory, but if the symptoms come back very soon afterwards, then they didn't actually work.

One other warning, if one of the antibiotics is Ciprofloxacin (which is very likely), avoid putting heavy forces on your tendons during and for a while after finishing the antibiotic, as it can cause tendon weakness.

User
Posted 24 Jan 2021 at 11:14

Thanks. Those are the antibiotics that I have been taking. I've been on them 4 days now. I've also been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol as recommended by the doctor.

Have noticed that the stream is getting slightly stronger and I'm now going to the toilet maybe every hour as opposed to every 10mins so hopefully this is a sign that things are improving a bit. Still sore though and the urge to pee is sudden even though the urge doesn't match what actually comes out.

Edited by member 24 Jan 2021 at 17:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 May 2021 at 11:17

Hi 

I'm on Tamsulosin long term  for 

Enlarged prostate 

And also Ofloxacin for reoccurring uti .

Just had Prostate biopsy Trus .

Not nice, very uncomfortable 

Just waiting for results to come back.

Got to back to hospital this week.

If your taking Ciprofloaxin  don't drink milk, it affects the medication 

Regards Ian 

Edited by member 16 May 2021 at 11:20  | Reason: Add notes