Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Help

User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 14:25

Hello.

I have a Gleason score of 4+4 and my PSA is 5.1.

I start my Radiotherapy on the 3/2/21,  I am also on hormone therapy.

I am 64 , work part time, and I am single. I also suffer chronic pain because I have a spinal condition.

because of the side effects of the treatment and my chronic pain, I have even thought about not having the treatment, plus I am worried I will not be able to carry on with my job which I need for my sanity more than financially.

I am really worried about the double incontinent problem, and with my chronic pain I am really worried that if I have more problems it will push me over the edge.

Rod

Please give me all the advise and help that you can

Edited by member 25 Jan 2021 at 14:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 14:38
Incontinence is not a normal side-effect of RT. Towards the end of the treatment, and for a few weeks afterwards, you'll probably be peeing more frequently due to bladder irritation by the radiation, and you may suffer some diarrhoea (I didn't, but some men do). It's perfectly possible to work through your RT treatment.

I found the whole thing quite bearable. The effects of HT tend to be much worse than those of RT.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 16:35

I mostly agree with Chris.

I didn't have any problems with the hormone therapy, but did have some diarrhoea. Also what my oncologist so eloquently refers to as mucus farts, which lead to the often used expression, "never trust a fart". This side effect slowly decayed away and was gone 10 months after treatment (although I could sense if a fart was going to be safe or not from about 5 months). For about a month I had to sit down to pee because separate control of #1 and #2 was unreliable which is very common, but that recovered. I did wear disposable pants 'just in case', but the only incontinence due to the external beam radiotherapy was a tiny leakage on the treatment table with a very full bladder.

The other thing that hits some people in the latter part of radiotherapy and for a month or more afterwards is fatigue. I didn't get this, possibly because as a cyclist my hemoglobin level was normally quite high, but both the hormone therapy and the radiotherapy bring that down, and those who don't regularly exercise found their hemoglobin dropped below normal, leading to fatigue.

Edited by member 25 Jan 2021 at 16:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 17:49

Yes, I had issues with occasional, er, "unanticipated" passing of mucus for the best part of a year after RT, but two years after RT all side-effects have gone. I've nothing any more that I'd consider a problem.

Chris

Edited by member 25 Jan 2021 at 17:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 10:00

Don't get hung-up on all those possible side effects.  They have to tell you about all of them, and it seems like a real horror show.  In reality you're unlikely to suffer from many - and may well get away with little (if any) real problems.  If you're really worried talk to your Oncologist or the nursing staff - they'll help you put it all into perspective.

I was more than a bit concerned before I started any of the different treatments I've been on, but the reality has not been difficult to deal with - a few side effects, but you just deal with or manage them as they come.  But if you're still worried talk to the nursing staff (do you have a contact number for a sernior nurse who can help).  I found that whenever I got concerned about what was happening a phone call with the Senior Nurse put my mind at rest.  They've seen it all before, and can give a lot of advice, and whilst you may not be able to easily access your Oncologist, they can.  Hope this helps.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 14:38
Incontinence is not a normal side-effect of RT. Towards the end of the treatment, and for a few weeks afterwards, you'll probably be peeing more frequently due to bladder irritation by the radiation, and you may suffer some diarrhoea (I didn't, but some men do). It's perfectly possible to work through your RT treatment.

I found the whole thing quite bearable. The effects of HT tend to be much worse than those of RT.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 16:35

I mostly agree with Chris.

I didn't have any problems with the hormone therapy, but did have some diarrhoea. Also what my oncologist so eloquently refers to as mucus farts, which lead to the often used expression, "never trust a fart". This side effect slowly decayed away and was gone 10 months after treatment (although I could sense if a fart was going to be safe or not from about 5 months). For about a month I had to sit down to pee because separate control of #1 and #2 was unreliable which is very common, but that recovered. I did wear disposable pants 'just in case', but the only incontinence due to the external beam radiotherapy was a tiny leakage on the treatment table with a very full bladder.

The other thing that hits some people in the latter part of radiotherapy and for a month or more afterwards is fatigue. I didn't get this, possibly because as a cyclist my hemoglobin level was normally quite high, but both the hormone therapy and the radiotherapy bring that down, and those who don't regularly exercise found their hemoglobin dropped below normal, leading to fatigue.

Edited by member 25 Jan 2021 at 16:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jan 2021 at 17:49

Yes, I had issues with occasional, er, "unanticipated" passing of mucus for the best part of a year after RT, but two years after RT all side-effects have gone. I've nothing any more that I'd consider a problem.

Chris

Edited by member 25 Jan 2021 at 17:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 10:00

Don't get hung-up on all those possible side effects.  They have to tell you about all of them, and it seems like a real horror show.  In reality you're unlikely to suffer from many - and may well get away with little (if any) real problems.  If you're really worried talk to your Oncologist or the nursing staff - they'll help you put it all into perspective.

I was more than a bit concerned before I started any of the different treatments I've been on, but the reality has not been difficult to deal with - a few side effects, but you just deal with or manage them as they come.  But if you're still worried talk to the nursing staff (do you have a contact number for a sernior nurse who can help).  I found that whenever I got concerned about what was happening a phone call with the Senior Nurse put my mind at rest.  They've seen it all before, and can give a lot of advice, and whilst you may not be able to easily access your Oncologist, they can.  Hope this helps.