I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pre surgery diet

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 16:52

I've RALP next week and I was sent a sheet with advice on my medications and diet with some suggested meals etc.. Did anyone have a specific diet they followed leading up to the surgery? I'm not sure if this is just guidance or instructions I should follow such as limiting my a piece of plain chicken and boiled rice for dinner and only clear soups or plain jelly!

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 19:14
The main issue after surgery is that the intravenous opiate painkillers you’ll be on give you horrendous constipation, and with cut abdominal muscles it’s agony to “push”. You really want to be on “low residue” food for a few days before surgery if you can, and stock up on the fybogel!

Very best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 03:10
Bear in mind that your bowels will be rearranged in your stomach, so that the surgeon can get to your prostate. It will take time for them to settle back into place and normal peristaltic movement restored, almost inevitably resulting in constipation.

The last thing you want to do is be straining to defecate so soon after surgery, so try and eat high fibre foods for the couple of days before your op, and afterwards. On discharge I was given boxes of senna laxatives and Fybogel (isphagula husk), but fortunately they were not needed. Her Loveliness made good use of them subsequently.

The first post-operative fart is a relief, and a sign that things are getting back to normal!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 12:17
Thanks, appreciated! Yeah I remember the trouble I had going to the loo after the bypass surgery, took me a good few days before I could go despite the senna... hoping for quicker relief this time!