Hoping and praying it is contained in the prostate 

My Dad is 74 

Its a shock to all of us 

I dont have many facts at this stage 

But the nurse advised my sister that it is aggressive 

Hormone tablets started on Weds 

Hormone injection scheduled for Feb 16th 

They said they are treating to cure 

At this early stage and with our minimal knowledge I guess I'm wondering why removal has not been suggested 

Any help, advise, tips would be very welcome 

Thank you xxx 

Edited by member 10 Feb 2021 at 15:50  | Reason: Letter received with Gleason score

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 13:05
Don't get too stressed about it: around three quarters of men your Dad's age have prostate cancer. Getting it is a normal part of the ageing process for a man, although in many cases no treatment is required.

Yes, it is a shock to be diagnosed, particularly if it comes out of the blue, as it does for many men (me included). It is an eminently treatable condition. As you said yourself, your Dad will be on a curative treatment path.

I'd recommend that you read the "toolkit" of information about prostate cancer that's available on this site. You can also order a paper copy if you wish. That will give you lots of information about the different treatment options and their pros and cons.

Given that your Dad is still going through the diagnostic process it's too early to decide treatment options. Once you have a full diagnosis you'll be in a better position to decide. Try to arrange meetings with a urologist to discuss surgery, AND an oncologist to discuss non-surgical treatments.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 13:10
Hi Caroline,

Really Dad needs to get a full diagnosis which he is entitled to. If this is posted under Bio, we will have a better idea of where he is and be in a better position to answer any questions. From what you say it seems that surgery is not thought appropriate for one or more of several reasons but as it is said to be with curative intent, and HT is to start, it is most likely that he will receive one of several types of radiation. Again it would be helpful to know what this is. If it is to be EBRT radiation, which seems likely, is will most probably be 20 or 37 sessions (called fractions).
Barry
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 17:27

Hi Cazza,

You need to get a full diagnosis and his Gleason score to get an idea of what treatment he needs but please don't panic, I am 74 and was diagnosed in 2016 at 70 with 5 out of 20 cores positive and four years on doing well.

John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 13:05
Don't get too stressed about it: around three quarters of men your Dad's age have prostate cancer. Getting it is a normal part of the ageing process for a man, although in many cases no treatment is required.

Yes, it is a shock to be diagnosed, particularly if it comes out of the blue, as it does for many men (me included). It is an eminently treatable condition. As you said yourself, your Dad will be on a curative treatment path.

I'd recommend that you read the "toolkit" of information about prostate cancer that's available on this site. You can also order a paper copy if you wish. That will give you lots of information about the different treatment options and their pros and cons.

Given that your Dad is still going through the diagnostic process it's too early to decide treatment options. Once you have a full diagnosis you'll be in a better position to decide. Try to arrange meetings with a urologist to discuss surgery, AND an oncologist to discuss non-surgical treatments.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 13:10
Hi Caroline,

Really Dad needs to get a full diagnosis which he is entitled to. If this is posted under Bio, we will have a better idea of where he is and be in a better position to answer any questions. From what you say it seems that surgery is not thought appropriate for one or more of several reasons but as it is said to be with curative intent, and HT is to start, it is most likely that he will receive one of several types of radiation. Again it would be helpful to know what this is. If it is to be EBRT radiation, which seems likely, is will most probably be 20 or 37 sessions (called fractions).
Barry
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 14:17

Thank you 

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 17:27

Hi Cazza,

You need to get a full diagnosis and his Gleason score to get an idea of what treatment he needs but please don't panic, I am 74 and was diagnosed in 2016 at 70 with 5 out of 20 cores positive and four years on doing well.

John.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 16:04

They aren't messing around starting him on hormones before full diagnosis.   Presumably you didn't go with your dad to hospital.  Saying it's aggressive could mean it's got a highish Gleason number, perhaps 5+4, or similar.  It's a useful number to note, along with the Stage number.

His psa isn't that high so they must consider the bone scan just a confirmation.

It could be they started hormones right away because of delays in treatment caused by Covid.  Do you know if that's the case.

On the face of it, as said by others, it looks like he'll be given Radiotherapy and curative intent usually works out curative.   All the best, Peter

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 17:13
User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 18:04

Diagnosis - T3 Gleason score 9 (4+5)

PSA 5.6

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 18:16

Well I was T3, G4+5=9 but my PSA was about 25. So he is a tiny bit better off than me. Has he had the bone scan results?

At some time the diagnosis will be more precise, something like: T3 Nx Mx where x will either be 0 or 1. Zero is good one is bad. If it just says "x" it is neither good nor bad it just means they haven't done the test yet.

Once they have all the test results a multidisciplinary team (MDT) will meet and decide on a treatment plan, you may get a choice of treatment options, but in my opinion it is better if they just recommend one treatment plan. I guess you will hear from them soon.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 18:49

Hi Cazza

The T3 means the cancer has broken through the capsule of the prostate.  It is further divided into T3a or T3b. Hoping you get news with the bone scan results.

Best wishes for your Dad.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 20:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
At this early stage and with our minimal knowledge I guess I'm wondering why removal has not been suggested

The usual age limit is 70, although an older person in particularly good health might get offered a prostatectomy. The operation requires tipping head down at 30 degrees for 3-4 hours (or more if complicated), and they worry that older men can suffer a stroke during the operation.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 20:35
That's not a good diagnosis, but it is still in the "curative treatment" category. Your Dad is much more likely to die with prostate cancer than from it.

I imagine that radiotherapy with accompanying hormone therapy will be recommended. That's the treatment I had myself and it wasn't too bad at all.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 20:50

The usual age limit is 70, 

I am not sure that is correct Andy - I have never seen an upper age limit stated in the guidelines, we have had a few men pass through this forum who had RP beyond that age and my f-i-l was offered RP at the age of 79 although he turned it down because he was worried about ED 🤣

In the current situation there may be a reluctance to bring older men in as in patients if it can be avoided?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 20:57

With the T3 diagnosis, the MDT has presumably concluded that it wouldn't be possible to remove all the cancer. Little point putting your dad through major surgery that is unlikely to be successful. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard