I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mri v psa

User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 15:21

Hi  , I'm 60yrs old and recently  retired. 

I  had no real symptoms  of Prostate  problems  until I had an UTI in Oct last year then since then 

I started passing  blood in my urine and was referred to an urologist.  I had a cystoscopy and a DRE . The dre revealed  a hard lump on the prostate and referred for a mri and ct scan over the Christmas  period.  My results showed that the ct scan was ok but mri had a pi rad 4 . Had a psa revealed just below 2. It was recommended I had a biopsy which has taken place recently.  

I now wait for the results of the biopsy. 

Is it unusual to have a low psa and yet a pi rad 4 on the MRI.

Thanks .

User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 21:26

Yes, psa is very normal, but with dre and pirads4 it needs investigating. I think just wait for the biopsy to come back, no point trying to second guess the diagnosis. 

Dave

User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 21:28

Mick, sorry you are going through an anxious time, but you do need to just wait for the biopsy result.

You simply can't tell from PSA and PIRADS alone. Some prostate cancers don't generate raised PSA's, and conversely PIRAD 4 or 5 doesn't necessarily mean you have prostate cancer. You need the biopsy result.

User
It is not common but sometimes, particularly with some types of PCa, the PSA can be surprisingly low. Best to wait for full diagnosis.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 21:26

Yes, psa is very normal, but with dre and pirads4 it needs investigating. I think just wait for the biopsy to come back, no point trying to second guess the diagnosis. 

Dave

User

Mick, sorry you are going through an anxious time, but you do need to just wait for the biopsy result.

You simply can't tell from PSA and PIRADS alone. Some prostate cancers don't generate raised PSA's, and conversely PIRAD 4 or 5 doesn't necessarily mean you have prostate cancer. You need the biopsy result.

User
It is not common but sometimes, particularly with some types of PCa, the PSA can be surprisingly low. Best to wait for full diagnosis.
Barry
User