I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

do i need to stop drinking coffee !!

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 13:10

going in for a radical prostatectomy on march 1st.

i drink loads of coffee, the top grade 4 star stuff from my beloved italian espresso machine. its currently my only vice (no booze or cigarettes) but im a bit concerned it might not be the best thing for me when im trying to sort out my waterworks after the op? 

is it a complete no-no or is it like most things in life - ok in moderation?

thanks

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 23:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I'm sure I'll be able to find a de-caff blend I like

If you like a decent cup of coffee, you won't. 

Dave

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 13:20
Caffeine can irritate the bladder, so it's a recommendation not to drink tea or coffee. I must confess that I couldn't give up my beloved tea during my RT (which came with a similar recommendation) and didn't suffer any awful consequences.

Perhaps you could cut down or temporarily switch to decaf?

Best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 15:46
I’ve had RP and RT and drank coffee throughout with no problems whatsoever. I guess we are all different

Bri

User
Posted 09 Feb 2021 at 00:22

I had RP in June 2020. RT just finished. I have been drinking decaf tea and coffee since before the op. The Aldi barista decaf is fab. Don't think you could tell the difference. The tea is really good too. My wife also has decaf Starbucks decaf for Nespresso machine. It is big and bold and gain you wouldn't know it is decaf.

Jim

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 17:54
I have coffee without noticable side effects, but it's usually decaff and I have just the one (big ;) ) cup per day. Like you I grind the beans fresh each time - and am happy with Waitrose Peruvian decaff.

All the best!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 13:20
Caffeine can irritate the bladder, so it's a recommendation not to drink tea or coffee. I must confess that I couldn't give up my beloved tea during my RT (which came with a similar recommendation) and didn't suffer any awful consequences.

Perhaps you could cut down or temporarily switch to decaf?

Best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 13:56

so its just the caffine bit that causes the problems?  I'm sure I'll be able to find a de-caff blend I like

thanks

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 14:44
Yes, just the caffeine. Decaf should be fine.

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 15:34

Thanks for the info, I need some treats in my life at the moment:-) 

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 15:46
I’ve had RP and RT and drank coffee throughout with no problems whatsoever. I guess we are all different

Bri

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 16:19
John was never advised to cut out caffeine in preparation for or after the op. It was only when he went for salvage RT that they asked him to avoid caffeine for the 4 weeks.

I think when you wake up from the op, the ward staff will be very happy to bring you a cup of coffee!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 20:41
I spent the first 12h after my surgery being violently sick as an after-effect of the anaesthetic. Couldn't keep anything down. Definitely no cups of coffee 😁

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 23:32

Hi Philip,

What is loads ? Plus if you are having 10 cups+ you'll probably get withdrawal if you stop to zero.

With catheter have plenty of fluids as obviously no need to get up at night, one advantage eh ?  The main issue I had was constipation, even though I took movicol , took nearly a week to get digestive system moving again. Most probably result of aesthetic and I assume morphine for op.  If I had known I would have taken double doses and a day or 2 before op.  

Edited by member 08 Feb 2021 at 23:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 23:49

Dave

User
Posted 09 Feb 2021 at 00:22

I had RP in June 2020. RT just finished. I have been drinking decaf tea and coffee since before the op. The Aldi barista decaf is fab. Don't think you could tell the difference. The tea is really good too. My wife also has decaf Starbucks decaf for Nespresso machine. It is big and bold and gain you wouldn't know it is decaf.

Jim

User
Posted 09 Feb 2021 at 09:00
Burghboy is right about the Starbucks decaf pods for Nexpress machines, they are very good. Still have the same ‘taste bite’ that I get from the regular pods.

Chris

User
Posted 09 Feb 2021 at 16:17

That made me smile , thanks 

i have tried a few and never found one yet. I only buy freshly roasted beans and grind fresh for each shot so should be able to find a half decent one - hopefully?? 

Edited by member 09 Feb 2021 at 16:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Feb 2021 at 16:23

Hi Philip,

What is loads ? Plus if you are having 10 cups+ you'll probably get withdrawal if you stop to zero.

With catheter have plenty of fluids as obviously no need to get up at night, one advantage eh ?  The main issue I had was constipation, even though I took movicol , took nearly a week to get digestive system moving again. Most probably result of aesthetic and I assume morphine for op.  If I had known I would have taken double doses and a day or 2 before op.  

that’s my worry , probably have 6+ a day , might have to start slowly reducing it over the next couple of weeks 

saying that a good strong cup first thing on a morning certainly gets things moving, bowel wise 🤣

thanks 

User
Posted 11 Feb 2021 at 08:30
My experience with coffee post op was that it made my bladder painful, even weeks after.

5 years on I'm back on full strength with no issues.

You will be glad of the naps while recuperating so you won't miss it!

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 17:54
I have coffee without noticable side effects, but it's usually decaff and I have just the one (big ;) ) cup per day. Like you I grind the beans fresh each time - and am happy with Waitrose Peruvian decaff.

All the best!