I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Male incontinence clamps

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 13:51

The devices that I have used/tried all have drawbacks. The 3 that I have tried are The Weisner, The DribbleStop, and the Pacey Cuff: the last of these is the most expensive and is useless, its hard to believe that this was designed by a urologist!  A cross section of the penis shows that the urethra passes closest to the underside of the organ, and therefore a device with a small bridge or hump on  the part of the clamp that can be applied in this area will prevent any flow without undue pressure on the rest of the penis--I hope this makes sense.  The Weisner has a small bridge, whoever this clamp is hinged on one side with serrated edge on the other to fasten it, pressure is not applied equally and it therefore does not stay in place.  Finally the Dribblestop, which is possibly the most used device and the simplest. Using the clips that are applied to either side it can be clamped at more or less equal pressure at either end, BUT it does not have a bridge. As I see it the most important requirements for a practical clamp are:- it applies balanced lateral pressure; it has a bridge; the soft material that makes contact with the penis does not cause a skin reaction. To demonstrate where the pressure is needed, hold the penis between finger and thumb, with the finger underneath, start passing urine and then apply pressure to stop the flow, it needs a fairly light constriction to prevent flow.

I would be grateful for any information or comments about this subject: I am certain that a major improvement could be made to penile clamps.

Kind Regards

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 16:23
They aren't very popular, most likely for the reasons you have identified. A Conveen sheath is probably a better option for most men.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 22:02
Agreed, the Conveen solution was my saviour while I was waiting for an AUS. My Dribblestop fell apart and could not be relied on to stay closed. The other clamps I tried were just useless. All Conveen components were available on prescription (and free of charge) in Wales.
Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 16:15

Slightly off-subject, but relevant to those on limited means: I am amazed at the cost of these penile clamps, considering what they're made of and their simple construction. Outrageous and probably made for pence in China, so it seems like there's some profiteering going on. If, as the last gentleman said, the Coveen sheath is free of charge on the NHS, then that must be the most cost-effective way to go?