I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Lump, Low PSA & Testicle Pain

User
Posted 13 Feb 2021 at 16:16

Hello everyone, I'm new here, 41 years old. I would very much appreciate some advice on my current symptoms.

A year ago I started having a strange sensation where I would have what I can only describe as a 'tingling' in my prostate area. It's the kind of sensation only relieved by orgasm but the problem has been that is a daily problem and now I'm 41 (and with other health conditions), a daily orgasm is easier said than done! Anyway, the only relief I had found aside from an orgasm has been to press on my prostate (via rectum).

Around 6 months ago, whilst doing this I found a lump at the very top left of the prostate, just as it slopes away. I went to my GP, he examined me and he also noted the lump/nodule. He referred me to a urologist for this, and other frequent urination related symptoms.

In November I saw the urologist but he just said my prostate was mildly enlarged but smooth and I had a PSA of 0.98. I wish I'd asked him to check again at the time but I didn't as I was also trying to tell him about my frequent urination and prostate sensation that I mentioned above and when he mentioned sending me for a scan I presumed this was for my prostate (turned out it was ultrasound on kidneys). During a follow up telephone consultation with him, he was adamant that there was no lump. With my GP having previously noted a lump and also feeling it myself, I wanted a 2nd opinion which I've just had on Wednesday with a different urologist. This urologist has felt the lump and is referring me for an MRI. He said the lump was 'firm', not soft but not hard either, somewhere in the middle he said.

In the last 6 months or so I've also started having increasingly more frequent pain in my testicles (from a few times per week to now being many times a day). It started out with an infrequent twinge in my left testicle (sort of a pulsing ache). Since then it has started in my right testicle. In both case it feels more that the pain is in the 'tubes' of the testes (sorry, don't know the technical name), rather than the testicles themselves. There is also a very tender point on the rear of the left testicle which is sore to touch, again, this feels like it may be the tubes attached to the testicle but it's so difficult to tell.

I've had frequent urination and flow problems for many years but I've always attributed this largely to my chronic illness as frequent urination (although not 'flow issues') is a symptom of this. In the last 5 years I've also developed a rectal prolapse and the increase in urinary problems seemed to relatively coincide with this. As such, I never followed this up until now.

At 41, I know I'm not in the main age range for Prostate Cancer but it does run in the family. My dad currently has it, he was diagnosed around age 64 and his father also had it late on in life.

To be honest, even with having the lump and the family history, I wasn't too concerned about having Prostate Cancer until I read about testicular pain being a possible symptom of it. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2021 at 19:50

Your symptoms sound more like prostatitis (infection of the prostate), although the lump wants explaining (could be part of an infection). Testicular pain is typical of prostatitis too, and not prostate cancer.

I think you need to ask to be referred back to urology to get to the bottom of whatever it is.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2021 at 22:28

Hi Andy and thank you for your reply. 

I had wondered about Prostatitis but I don't have many of the symptoms aside from testicular pain and frequent urination.

With regards to having pain in the testicles as a symptom of Prostate Cancer, it was this bit from the NHS website that I read and has subsequently had me more worried:

'Signs that the cancer may have spread include bone and back pain, a loss of appetite, pain in the testicles and unexplained weight loss.' - link

User
Posted 14 Feb 2021 at 09:24
The "tubes" of the testicles are called the "epididymis" and are a common place for infections which can cause exactly the type of pain you describe. I've had it myself, and it was easily sorted out by a course of antibiotics.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 18:01

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and the information. That's good to know.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 18:25
It is probably not a good idea to be sticking your own finger up your bum to press on the prostate, particularly if you already have a prolapse! Prostate massage is a technique that needs a lot of training and you could do yourself more harm, particularly if there is deep seated infection.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard