I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Question concerning a catheter after a prostatectomy

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 18:44

Can anyone tell me when is the right time for a post-operative catheter to be removed. I hear 1-2 weeks is the norm, but what signals its removal?

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 19:19

Hi. Your catheter will be removed normally 12 to 14 days after surgery. Take a tip from me. Buy yourself something called Ugofix. It’s like a sock that goes around your calf and you put your bag into it during the days. There is no need for any horrible straps that Chaffee your leg. It’s so comfortable you don’t even notice you’ve got the bag attached, until of course it’s full. Keep everything and I mean everything clean I starting showering the day after getting home tentatively at first but got into an early morning routine. 

If you have any concerns or worries just give me a shout. I had my surgery last July 

Carl

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 21:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Bernster 

Sorry, TWOC is trial with out Catheter. Or in other words when they take the Catheter out and make sure you can pass urine. Somewhere between 7 -14 days is when the joint is expected to have healed enough to remove the Catheter. Some surgeons will think 7 days is enough, some will think it takes 14 days.

Thanks Chris

Just to add urine passing through the new joint is one cause of a urtheral stricture and you don't want one of those. 

Thank you, Chris. That's useful information. So, removal of the catheter is based on the judgement/experience of someone (a urologist) during recuperation.

Edited by member 15 Feb 2021 at 21:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 02:29

Hi,

I had surgery on 7/1/21 and my catheter was removed on the 14th day by a urology dept nurse.

I was then given an ultrasound after I had emptied my bladder before I was allowed to leave without the catheter.  What a relief it was for that to be removed.

Good luck with your recovery.

Neil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 11:25

Hi bernster, all done on the NHS at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. 

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User

Hi. Your catheter will be removed normally 12 to 14 days after surgery. Take a tip from me. Buy yourself something called Ugofix. It’s like a sock that goes around your calf and you put your bag into it during the days. There is no need for any horrible straps that Chaffee your leg. It’s so comfortable you don’t even notice you’ve got the bag attached, until of course it’s full. Keep everything and I mean everything clean I starting showering the day after getting home tentatively at first but got into an early morning routine. 

If you have any concerns or worries just give me a shout. I had my surgery last July 

Carl

User

Your surgeon's opinion will be one thing that dictates removal. Another odd reason may when the TWOC clinical is held. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 19:26

Carl

I appreciate your good advice but I wanted to know why the catheter is removed ie. at what point? What condition gives the OK to remove it?

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 19:28

Your surgeon's opinion will be one thing that dictates removal. Another odd reason may when the TWOC clinical is held. 

Thanks Chris

I have no idea what TWOC means and what determines when it's removed (or is it a secret?).

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 19:38

Bernster 

Sorry, TWOC is trial with out Catheter. Or in other words when they take the Catheter out and make sure you can pass urine. Somewhere between 7 -14 days is when the joint is expected to have healed enough to remove the Catheter. Some surgeons will think 7 days is enough, some will think it takes 14 days.

Thanks Chris

Just to add urine passing through the new joint is one cause of a urtheral stricture and you don't want one of those. 

Edited by member 15 Feb 2021 at 19:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 21:06

Bernster 

Thanks Chris

Thank you, Chris. That's useful information. So, removal of the catheter is based on the judgement/experience of someone (a urologist) during recuperation.

Edited by member 15 Feb 2021 at 21:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2021 at 22:03

Somewhere between 7 -14 days is when the joint is expected to have healed enough to remove the Catheter. Some surgeons will think 7 days is enough, some will think it takes 14 days.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if surgeons vary the time depending on the patient and how the surgery went. If the urethral rejoin went really well on a young, fit, patient they might say 7 days. If they were a bit less happy with it on a patient they thought might heal a bit more slowly, they might say 14 days. But, as you say, it might also hinge on when they can fit you in for a TWoC appointment.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 00:11

It is determined by the surgeon or the policy of his hospital urology team but no, it isn't usually based on the patient's recuperation. Usually, there is a standard position - at the hospital where my husband had his op it is 10 days, some urologists prefer 7 days or to wait the full 14 days. At a hospital where the prostatectomies are done on Wednesdays and TWOC clinic is on a Friday, all men will be called for their catheter removal 9 days post op. At a hospital where the catheter is removed by the urology nurse or surgeon, it might be any day of the week. 

The judgment about personal recovery comes at TWOC time - if the catheter is removed but the patient cannot pass urine, the catheter is put back in for another week or more.  They can't tell how well the join has recovered until they take the catheter out and ask you to try it. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 00:39
Mine was also 10 days and the guy who had his op just before me was in there at the same time having his removed.
User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 09:30

My catheter was removed after 11 days. But, the hospital I was treated at doesn’t rely on judgment. Each patient is given an X-ray guided leak test. A contrast dye is poured into the bladder through the catheter and real time pictures taken. If there isn’t a leak the catheter is removed, if there is a leak they wait another week. 
All the best,

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 09:48

My catheter was removed after 11 days. But, the hospital I was treated at doesn’t rely on judgment. Each patient is given an X-ray guided leak test. A contrast dye is poured into the bladder through the catheter and real time pictures taken. If there isn’t a leak the catheter is removed, if there is a leak they wait another week. 
All the best,

I've not heard of that before. Sounds great. Is that done under NHS or only privately?

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 02:29

Hi,

I had surgery on 7/1/21 and my catheter was removed on the 14th day by a urology dept nurse.

I was then given an ultrasound after I had emptied my bladder before I was allowed to leave without the catheter.  What a relief it was for that to be removed.

Good luck with your recovery.

Neil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 11:25

Hi bernster, all done on the NHS at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. 

Ido4

User
Posted 22 Feb 2021 at 13:20

I had mine removed after 10 days. I had no issues etc during catheter in place. Removal was easy and painless. 

You need to pass urine after removal whilst with removal team. 

I had incontinence, I would say ,medium. 6 months on  I hardly ever need a pad now.