Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatitis or not

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 16:42

Hi all 

48 Yr old male fit and healthy , diagnosed with prostatitis last week as been having tender back / sore testicles/ perenium area ....have had Sti tests/ testicular ultrasounds / blood tests ( psa was normal but not told figure) urine test with dipstick/ clear but no culture !!!  First told it might be epididitmus,  100mg doxy for 3 weeks.....slight improvement but not much ...now on ciprofloxacin 2 tabs for 28 days ......not sure what to think ....improvement in symptoms but suffered a lot of stress last year ....who hasn't!!!!  Read somewhere it could be stress related?? And cipro gets bad reviews but I doing OK on it......I don't have any consistent urinary problems, the odd time doesn't feel like I emptied and flow just has one speed....or dribbled a few times after I finished and wet underwear maybe 3 times in last year.....confused....anyone anything similar ...thanks in advancec

User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 01:19

I think that sounds like prostatitis, but doctors have all the test results so they will know better. I got tendonitus on cipro, be careful how you exercise. 

Dave

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 03:46

Chris, the pain does sound like prostatitis? Did anyone do a digital rectal exam, and was that tender?

Prostatitis often fails to generate cultures from urine or semen samples, because the infected area has got itself blocked off, but you really need a urologist who knows how to treat it rather than trying antibiotics.

Like Dave said, avoid stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxaxin. Many antibiotics are also mild anti-inflammatories and do generate relief while on them due to that, but then a quick return to former symptoms, which means they didn't kill the bacteria. So you'll have to wait and see how the Ciprofloxacin goes.

Do get hold of your PSA result. It's worth storing that away safely. Prostatitis often pushes PSA up.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 01:19

I think that sounds like prostatitis, but doctors have all the test results so they will know better. I got tendonitus on cipro, be careful how you exercise. 

Dave

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 03:46

Chris, the pain does sound like prostatitis? Did anyone do a digital rectal exam, and was that tender?

Prostatitis often fails to generate cultures from urine or semen samples, because the infected area has got itself blocked off, but you really need a urologist who knows how to treat it rather than trying antibiotics.

Like Dave said, avoid stressing tendons while on Ciprofloxaxin. Many antibiotics are also mild anti-inflammatories and do generate relief while on them due to that, but then a quick return to former symptoms, which means they didn't kill the bacteria. So you'll have to wait and see how the Ciprofloxacin goes.

Do get hold of your PSA result. It's worth storing that away safely. Prostatitis often pushes PSA up.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 12:52

Hi Andy,  thanks for the comments, yes have had 2 DRE  in the last month , no immediate pain when it carried out and doctor said it felt smooth no hard spots etc .....worse for me I have 1 or 2 piles also but should not affect prostate I think but not 100% .........cipro helping for sure and I've had no real bad side affects so far ...on them 2 weeks 500 mg twice a day with 2 more weeks to run ...

Chris 👍👍

Edited by member 18 Feb 2021 at 12:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 16:51

Just a thought. My husband has chronic inflammatory prostatitis (and is regularly screened for prostate cancer in other ways due to family history, elevated PSA). Can you see a urologist that specializes in this area?

I ask this because antibiotics are obviously not without side effects and he took several long courses of antibiotics and the side effects that come with that, only to find out they never were going to help. He is treated for the pelvic pain, prostatitis now and is much more comfortable. 

I can tell you this my husband is literally leaving the office of his urologist at mayo right now and asked about antibiotics (his GP suggested taking a course for his elevated PSA only last week). His response was "do not take antibiotics if your urine is clear and you do not have signs of an obvious bacterial infection. It can change your gut flora and if you do require a biopsy later can put you at higher risk of contracting a serious and harder to treat infection."

Edited by member 19 Feb 2021 at 16:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2021 at 17:06

Thank you, after I am done this cipro no more antibiotics for me unless they find something ....mind you I feel a lot better than I did ...but my initial worry was antibiotics without finding infection .....I may have 1 but it worried me no tests first .....thanks again