Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to the group and Just diagnosed

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 13:22

Hello all

I have just joined this community after been diagnosed on Tuesday 16th February, I guess one of many men to be diagnosed this year.

My brother was diagnosed and successfully treated for prostate cancer in 2018, so I have been having regular PSA tests since then, my PSA was up to 5.9 in September 2020 from 3.9 in 2019 so that is when the alarm bells started, I had no symptoms but knew this was a similar path my Brother had, only picking up anything that seemed abnormal on the MRI scan, the biopsy confirmed I had cancer ( grade 2, 3+4 ).

Caught early so now digesting my options regarding treatment.

On the plus side this now gives myself and my brother the excuse to raise more money for Prostate Cancer U.K., after my brother’s treatment we rode in the Grand depart in Belgium in 2019 raising money for PCUK, so now we are looking to do the same in 2022 after my treatment.

Looking forward to reading posts on here.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 15:23

Welcome Clive,

Although one of us is bound to say, welcome to the club no-one would choose to join.  You seem adjusted to it and I wonder what options you've been offered for treatment and what your brother had.

Presumably you've been offered the full suite of treatments, that is surgery, radiotherapy with hormones, brachytherapy, or active surveillance.

As a further note you might want to change your screen name as the forum is public for reading and comes up on search engines.   Although if you aren't signed in it doesn't usually show your name.

Well done for donating to PCUK. 

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 16:00

Sorry you are here but pleased for you that you have a range of treatment options.

I was on active surveillance for a couple of years before then deciding on surgery. Worth taking your time to figure out what you feel is best.

Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 15:23

Welcome Clive,

Although one of us is bound to say, welcome to the club no-one would choose to join.  You seem adjusted to it and I wonder what options you've been offered for treatment and what your brother had.

Presumably you've been offered the full suite of treatments, that is surgery, radiotherapy with hormones, brachytherapy, or active surveillance.

As a further note you might want to change your screen name as the forum is public for reading and comes up on search engines.   Although if you aren't signed in it doesn't usually show your name.

Well done for donating to PCUK. 

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 15:30

Thanks Peter 

yes been given all those options, my Brother had the Radical prostatectomy, I am thinking that Brachytherapy may be better for myself, but will discuss with the nurse on Monday 

Thanks for the tip on the screen name

User
Posted 18 Feb 2021 at 16:00

Sorry you are here but pleased for you that you have a range of treatment options.

I was on active surveillance for a couple of years before then deciding on surgery. Worth taking your time to figure out what you feel is best.

Good luck

User
Posted 23 Feb 2021 at 15:23

Update on what is happening so far, had my CT scan Saturday at Hospital, very efficient, appointment was for 4 pm so got there early to find department, was all done and back in my car by 4:05 pm, I think that must be a first for me having my appointment earlier than said time.

I now wait an appointment via phone in mid March with oncologist as I have decided to go for Brachytherapy, obviously depending on the CT scan results and the cancer is still within the Prostate.

Edited by member 23 Feb 2021 at 15:31  | Reason: Not specified