Notification

Error

My dad has been diagnosed with Prostate cancer in Feb 2021

User
Posted 21 Feb 2021 at 09:27

My dad has been diagnosed with Prostate cancer in Feb 2021

Gleason score = 4+4

PSA = 470

Other symptoms : Severe back pain in pelvic region, now shifted to between T4 and T8 area.

Current advice : Bone scan

Treatment : No treatment started yet until result of bone scan

Questions

1. How bad PC is?
  2. Is it terminal or incurable ?
  3. Treatment options based on other members experience / medical person’s advice ?
  4. Survival outlook of my dad ?

I will keep posting updates on this thread

Thanking you

User
Posted 21 Feb 2021 at 14:59
With a PSA of 480 I'm afraid that it is extremely likely to be advanced prostate cancer. This is incurable, but incurable does NOT mean terminal; men can live for many years with advanced cancer, and new treatments are constantly being found.

If your dad was in the UK the standard treatment would be hormone therapy. This shrinks the cancer and prevents it from spreading. He'd be on this until it stopped working, which could be several years.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Feb 2021 at 14:35

Hi Niren,

It's noted that you're in India.  Until he's had a full diagnosis it's not easy to say.  Although you could say the high psa and back pains make it sound like it's spread.  Sometimes people have pains that are nothing to do with it.   I had pains in my hips and it was arthritis I discovered after worrying.   His psa is high though and as he's been diagnosed with 4+4, the probability is it's spread rather than just agitation of the prostate.  Where it's spread to is another matter and can make a difference.  You can only talk about probability without the full evidence.

In the UK, in the worst case he'd be offered hormones most probably and there are several sorts of hormones that can be used after one stops working.  That can go on for years.   Each person reacts differently, some last a few years and others last a long time, over 10 years.  As you're in India I don't know what the treatment will be.  Also we don't know his basic health as that can make it better or worse.

Diagnosis is always worrying.   Obviously you'll hope it's not incurable and he'll be offered an operation or radiotherapy.  Let's hope so.  Someone else may provide another view, keep in touch.

Best wishes, Peter

Edited by member 21 Feb 2021 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Feb 2021 at 14:35

Hi Niren,

It's noted that you're in India.  Until he's had a full diagnosis it's not easy to say.  Although you could say the high psa and back pains make it sound like it's spread.  Sometimes people have pains that are nothing to do with it.   I had pains in my hips and it was arthritis I discovered after worrying.   His psa is high though and as he's been diagnosed with 4+4, the probability is it's spread rather than just agitation of the prostate.  Where it's spread to is another matter and can make a difference.  You can only talk about probability without the full evidence.

In the UK, in the worst case he'd be offered hormones most probably and there are several sorts of hormones that can be used after one stops working.  That can go on for years.   Each person reacts differently, some last a few years and others last a long time, over 10 years.  As you're in India I don't know what the treatment will be.  Also we don't know his basic health as that can make it better or worse.

Diagnosis is always worrying.   Obviously you'll hope it's not incurable and he'll be offered an operation or radiotherapy.  Let's hope so.  Someone else may provide another view, keep in touch.

Best wishes, Peter

Edited by member 21 Feb 2021 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2021 at 14:59
With a PSA of 480 I'm afraid that it is extremely likely to be advanced prostate cancer. This is incurable, but incurable does NOT mean terminal; men can live for many years with advanced cancer, and new treatments are constantly being found.

If your dad was in the UK the standard treatment would be hormone therapy. This shrinks the cancer and prevents it from spreading. He'd be on this until it stopped working, which could be several years.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 11:30
Update 25.02.2021

Bone scan report

Abnormal high osteoblastic activity involving the above mentioned bony sites favours osseous metastases.

Focal high tracer uptake is noted involving :

1. Right occipital bone of skull

2. D9, D12, L3 vertebrae

3. Multiple ribs bilaterally

4. Right SI Joint

5. Bilateral ischium

6. Head of left humerus

Large and small joints shows degenerative changes

Rest of the skeleton shows radiotracer concentration within normal physiological limits

Both kidney show normal physiological tracer uptake

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 12:58
What's the next step, Niren? Discussing treatment options?

Best wishes,

Chris