Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New user of Pump - Advice Required

User
Posted 23 Feb 2021 at 15:15

Hi all,

I have tried using today my ‘Soma Therapy-ED’ Vacuum Pump for the first time since my Radical Prostatectomy on 7th Jan 21.

A few years ago an ultrasound diagnosed I had twisted tubes in my left testicle and have always had discomfort when my balls were touched.

Now I’m using the pump, this discomfort is quite painful and similar to a direct hit in this area from a football on the pitch!!  It is so sensitive I have to release the pressure.  

Is this normal to feel pain in my balls when I inflate or is it because it’s new and I’m not used to using it?

Many thanks, Neil 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 21:48
It won't be disastrous if you can both laugh at any set backs and don't set your expectations too high.

Be prepared for the fact that an erection using a pump and restriction ring flops about and can be hard to aim; john would have given up after the first attempt when it kept falling out if he tried to thrust. It can take a while to get used to but keep your sense of humour and you will get there

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
User
Posted 23 Feb 2021 at 17:28

As a regular user of nearly 2 years I would say that it is not normal to feel discomfort in the Balls whilst pumping. 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 00:28

As an occasional user, I would also say this is not normal.

What I was advised to do during my pump clinic demo was to grab the base of the scrotum and pull it down, to prevent it (and even worse, a bollock) getting sucked in to the tube. This may depend on your personal anatomy around there.

However, I could imagine that if your spermatic cord was tender, this might not be comfortable.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 08:15
Isn't 6 weeks a bit early to be pumping??

Can't say I get pain in my balls but using my pump is pretty brutal and it certainly isn't comfortable.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 00:57

It started small (no pun) for me with just a bit of a swelling probably a couple of months after surgery.

Took 3 years to get close to where I was before.

Don't worry to much, I didn't start with a pump for 12 months after it caused a bleed early on and scared me to death! Did get good at masturbating with half a hard-on and consoled myself with that - no choice really after my "darling" wife f****d off a few months after surgery.

Edited by moderator 25 Feb 2021 at 14:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 08:06

I'm very surprised at the suggestion that you should start using the pump at the end of the of the daily injections period. For me there was no suggestion of any pump or tablets until I was seen at the ED clinic 3 months post-op.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2021 at 19:46

I usually hear it said to start the pump 8 weeks after catheter out, or 8 weeks after op, from different places.

Tadalafil availability for penile rehabilitation is patchy in England too, depends on CCG, and can depend if doctor is willing to override CCG. I suspect CCG only thinks about it for ED, and it depends if the doctor understands the difference between ED and penile rehabilitation.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 21:22
Your sensitivity due to previous damage is I think rather unusual, so not many others will have directly relevant experience. However I can say that when I started using the pump, due to the limited response of my penis it was quite frequent to experience the pain from my scrotum being sucked up by the pump. It needed trying the various alternative rubber seals and insert tubes provided with the pump to get the best solution, plus Andy62's trick of pulling the scrotum away from the pump opening.

Once I began getting a decent penile response, I was able to go back to the standard (larger) seal and tube.

Good luck!

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 21:14

Hi

I have been using a Soma pump for a few weeks now ( combined with Sildenafil every other day) and have not had any real bad reaction from it. It seems to work well and is definitely improving things . I only started this 4 months post radical surgery ( not want to go there again thanks but it probably saved my life) . It was rather difficult at first as I had never before had a problem with getting an erection.  I am building up to actually having sex again with my wife after 12 months forced abstinence. It may be a bit weird as it will be kind of false in terms of my erection but not my desire. I was really worried like a lot of you that I would never be able to have sex again but I really am heartened that it is still possible. I am anxious about 'doing it' for the first time though. Will it be OK or disastrous ??  I wish anyone with the same issues as me the best of luck and hope that things improve for you as they have me. I have been really despondent at times but things can work out as long as you are prepared to work at it. What man wouldn't be though ??!. Keep a positive attitude and look after yourself in lots of other ways. Good luck to all of you.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 05:10

Chris, this is so well described! I can vouch for the fact that it really works. And it is truly a deep way of connecting and making love regardless of erectile function. At first, both partners have to resist the urge to thrust or hump (as Lyn says, that tends to make it fall out). Once I got over my pride enough to do this, it has brought regular connection between my wife and me that is truly life sustaining. We still do it even though my erectile function is slowly starting to return - just for the deep connection.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 21:18

Thanks to all your posts. All very encouraging. I agree that being close to someone is whats important so thanks for the link. My wife and I have a great sense of humour which has helped us through many dark times so I think we will conquer this and have a laugh along the way . Many thanks to all.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Feb 2021 at 17:28

As a regular user of nearly 2 years I would say that it is not normal to feel discomfort in the Balls whilst pumping. 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 00:28

As an occasional user, I would also say this is not normal.

What I was advised to do during my pump clinic demo was to grab the base of the scrotum and pull it down, to prevent it (and even worse, a bollock) getting sucked in to the tube. This may depend on your personal anatomy around there.

However, I could imagine that if your spermatic cord was tender, this might not be comfortable.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 08:15
Isn't 6 weeks a bit early to be pumping??

Can't say I get pain in my balls but using my pump is pretty brutal and it certainly isn't comfortable.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 11:08

Hi.  I did ask that question to the cancer nurse but she told me I needed to start using it one week after I had stopped taking the daily Clexane Injections.

I had forgotten to mention to the consultant my ‘tubes’ situation as that was diagnosed a few years ago in the same department but by a different Dr.   I was offered surgery back then but advised any complication could result in ED so I decided to put up with it with a ‘do not touch’ reminder to my partner.

Here I am now with ED after my prostatectomy and can’t use the pump because of this old issue.  It’s so frustrating.

Neil

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 11:44
Are you taking daily ciallis? It maybe that will be sufficient with some stimulation to get things moving..
User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 11:55

Hi,

I live in North Wales and told that it’s not prescribed in Wales so I have Sildenafil instead which I take 1 tablet every 3 days.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 21:37
Any result?
User
Posted 24 Feb 2021 at 22:49

No nothing yet which brings its own anxiety and insecurities.  I keep reminding myself it’s only 7 weeks post op tomorrow but tried to kid myself before my op everything will be fine as I never had any ED issues previously.

The mind is keen and interested but the body still seems to be under anaesthetic!!

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 00:57

It started small (no pun) for me with just a bit of a swelling probably a couple of months after surgery.

Took 3 years to get close to where I was before.

Don't worry to much, I didn't start with a pump for 12 months after it caused a bleed early on and scared me to death! Did get good at masturbating with half a hard-on and consoled myself with that - no choice really after my "darling" wife f****d off a few months after surgery.

Edited by moderator 25 Feb 2021 at 14:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Feb 2021 at 08:06

I'm very surprised at the suggestion that you should start using the pump at the end of the of the daily injections period. For me there was no suggestion of any pump or tablets until I was seen at the ED clinic 3 months post-op.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2021 at 19:46

I usually hear it said to start the pump 8 weeks after catheter out, or 8 weeks after op, from different places.

Tadalafil availability for penile rehabilitation is patchy in England too, depends on CCG, and can depend if doctor is willing to override CCG. I suspect CCG only thinks about it for ED, and it depends if the doctor understands the difference between ED and penile rehabilitation.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 21:22
Your sensitivity due to previous damage is I think rather unusual, so not many others will have directly relevant experience. However I can say that when I started using the pump, due to the limited response of my penis it was quite frequent to experience the pain from my scrotum being sucked up by the pump. It needed trying the various alternative rubber seals and insert tubes provided with the pump to get the best solution, plus Andy62's trick of pulling the scrotum away from the pump opening.

Once I began getting a decent penile response, I was able to go back to the standard (larger) seal and tube.

Good luck!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 07:11

I live in Wales and have been given the pump on the NHS. I know quite a few guys in Wales who have also been given the pump.

Carl.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 21:14

Hi

I have been using a Soma pump for a few weeks now ( combined with Sildenafil every other day) and have not had any real bad reaction from it. It seems to work well and is definitely improving things . I only started this 4 months post radical surgery ( not want to go there again thanks but it probably saved my life) . It was rather difficult at first as I had never before had a problem with getting an erection.  I am building up to actually having sex again with my wife after 12 months forced abstinence. It may be a bit weird as it will be kind of false in terms of my erection but not my desire. I was really worried like a lot of you that I would never be able to have sex again but I really am heartened that it is still possible. I am anxious about 'doing it' for the first time though. Will it be OK or disastrous ??  I wish anyone with the same issues as me the best of luck and hope that things improve for you as they have me. I have been really despondent at times but things can work out as long as you are prepared to work at it. What man wouldn't be though ??!. Keep a positive attitude and look after yourself in lots of other ways. Good luck to all of you.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 21:48
It won't be disastrous if you can both laugh at any set backs and don't set your expectations too high.

Be prepared for the fact that an erection using a pump and restriction ring flops about and can be hard to aim; john would have given up after the first attempt when it kept falling out if he tried to thrust. It can take a while to get used to but keep your sense of humour and you will get there

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 05:10

Chris, this is so well described! I can vouch for the fact that it really works. And it is truly a deep way of connecting and making love regardless of erectile function. At first, both partners have to resist the urge to thrust or hump (as Lyn says, that tends to make it fall out). Once I got over my pride enough to do this, it has brought regular connection between my wife and me that is truly life sustaining. We still do it even though my erectile function is slowly starting to return - just for the deep connection.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 21:18

Thanks to all your posts. All very encouraging. I agree that being close to someone is whats important so thanks for the link. My wife and I have a great sense of humour which has helped us through many dark times so I think we will conquer this and have a laugh along the way . Many thanks to all.