Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Beyond worried sick

User
Posted 26 Feb 2021 at 23:08

Hello all, 

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer on Christmas Eve 2020, after an initial PSA of 18, then MRI  (localised) and biopsy. The grade given was T2b, N0, 3+3 on the left and 2+4 on the right side of prostate. Lymph nodes and seminal vesicles were clear.

The operation is provisionally booked for next Friday, however a bone scan revealed a mark on the ribs, so he was sent for another scan today. The consultant who delivered the news was so abrupt that we both felt we couldn't ask any questions, as well as being devastated by the news that they noticed something on the rib too. He said the operation would only go ahead if the scan (PSMA scan) was clear. 

i feel physically sick with worry, am wondering if anyone has a similar situation or any insight? 

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 02:02

It is rare for a G3+3 to spread to bone but the elements of grade 4 in his secondary score are unusual and certainly capable of spreading, which is why they have included the 2+4 in his diagnosis. The bone shadow may turn out to be nothing but even if it has spread, hormone treatment may keep him well for many years. We have a few members on here who have stayed well for 15 years plus.

If the rib turns out to be nothing, the op will presumably go ahead although I am hoping that he has researched it fully and you both understand the risks and side effects? Life will not be the same in the future but for the vast majority of men and their partners, once the shock wears off we just find a new normal.

Edited by member 27 Feb 2021 at 02:05  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 10:05

Hi,

I know life will never be the same but we will have to cope and get used to it. We weren’t given much choice about treatment to be honest. I think radiation was just mentioned briefly, but we would both rather it is removed. I am just hoping so much it hasn’t spread, that would be awful.

S

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 12:00
When I had a bone scan as part of the PC diagnosis. there was a mark on one of my ribs, but the doctor said it could be anything -

e.g. damage from many years ago, or a mark left by an old chest infection. The radiologist had a close look at it and said it was not connected with my PC. Best of luck.

Hermit

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 22:33
Spread to bone can mean that surgery will not go ahead but sometimes scans are not able to provide definitive information. Does anybody know whether the NHS will biopsy a few suspicious areas outside the Prostate to obtain a more definitive result so a Prostatectomy can be done or excluded because that is what seems should be established here.
Barry
User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 23:15

When I had a sore hip during diagnosis I had ups and downs and in a down I rang a PCUK nurse.  Her comment was 'don't get ahead of yourself' which doesn't sound like much but it was a bit of an anchor that I've used a few times.

When you add up the probability, a psa 18 and a Gleason 3+3 and 2+4 would likely be on the less probable side of there being a met but you can drive yourself crazy going round in circles until he gets the result.

Having a scan on Friday never seems a great thing as you can have the whole weekend to worry.  All the best, Peter