I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Problems with catheter drainage after prostatectomy

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 00:03

My catheter, has a Y-shaped end and is attached to a leg drainage bag via a corrugated tubing into the bag, with  valve at its lower end, used to drain the bag. But sometimes the lead-in corrugated tubing is full of urine while the bag is only partially full. I can release all the urine if I disconnect the entire assembly from the catheter.

Why does that corrugated tubing stay full, most of the time, and is it normal?

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 15:33

If i have understood your description correctly I think this is normal. The Y shape confused me, but I think you are talking about one drainage tube and the other tube which is used to inflate a balloon which keeps the catheter in place. 

Also the tube down to the leg bag on mine was not corrugated, just a clear plastic tube. 

Anyway the tube from the end of the catheter to the bag is always full of urine, this seeps in to the leg bag which you empty every so often but the tube never empties. I think the top of the leg bag has a one way valve to prevent flow back. I think if you get bubbles in the tube these would travel up the tube in to your bladder, and though this is probably not a problem, it isn't something your bladder would ever get naturally.

So in short don't worry about it, as long as the bag keeps filling up and you keep emptying it all should be OK. 

Dave

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 16:34

Bernster

Good reply from Dave. I am a long term Catheter wearer. I found the corrugated pipes do create a bit more air in the pipeline than the smooth pipes. 

As mentioned your bag has a anti back flo arrangement,  but some are better than others. The anti Flo back set up will retain a small amount of urine in the leg bag  pipe and Catheter. Sometimes my pipe does completely empty.

You have what is called a closed system, the NHS advice is once a bag is disconnected it should be replaced with a new one. We are all adults on here.

As long as you are draining properly I would not be concerned.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 27 Feb 2021 at 16:35  | Reason: Grammar

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 15:33

If i have understood your description correctly I think this is normal. The Y shape confused me, but I think you are talking about one drainage tube and the other tube which is used to inflate a balloon which keeps the catheter in place. 

Also the tube down to the leg bag on mine was not corrugated, just a clear plastic tube. 

Anyway the tube from the end of the catheter to the bag is always full of urine, this seeps in to the leg bag which you empty every so often but the tube never empties. I think the top of the leg bag has a one way valve to prevent flow back. I think if you get bubbles in the tube these would travel up the tube in to your bladder, and though this is probably not a problem, it isn't something your bladder would ever get naturally.

So in short don't worry about it, as long as the bag keeps filling up and you keep emptying it all should be OK. 

Dave

User
Posted 27 Feb 2021 at 16:34

Bernster

Good reply from Dave. I am a long term Catheter wearer. I found the corrugated pipes do create a bit more air in the pipeline than the smooth pipes. 

As mentioned your bag has a anti back flo arrangement,  but some are better than others. The anti Flo back set up will retain a small amount of urine in the leg bag  pipe and Catheter. Sometimes my pipe does completely empty.

You have what is called a closed system, the NHS advice is once a bag is disconnected it should be replaced with a new one. We are all adults on here.

As long as you are draining properly I would not be concerned.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 27 Feb 2021 at 16:35  | Reason: Grammar