I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Malignant Kidney Cyst

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 22:01

Hi my husband was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer 3 years ago. Following chemotherapy his PSA stabilised but has recently been shooting up. He is about to start abiraterone and prednisolone. 

However  His recent CT scan has shown a probable malignant cyst on his kidney.  He is awaiting renal scan and appointment with urologist but I wondered what others had experienced with this type of cyst. 

Thanks  Sue 

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 23:50
I had a kidney tumour found in 2018 (unrelated to prostate cancer) when I was having my MRI scan for prostate cancer. Is that any help?

Chris m

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 23:57
My father-in-law's prostate cancer spread to his kidneys but they referred to it as tumours not a cyst. Hopefully, it will be a prostate cancer met rather than an unrelated new cancer, and the abiraterone will bring it back under control.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 07:30

Hi thanks Lyn 

Yes that’s what I  hoping. It came as a shock because last consultant appointment (via phone), only mentioned an increase in lyric lesions in already affected bones and raised PSA , hence next treatment. Then when letter arrived it mentioned so much more including the cyst. We always find the waiting for results the hardest!! 

Did your father-in-law have operation to remove the tumour? 
Sue

Edited by member 04 Mar 2021 at 07:45  | Reason: Added another question

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 07:33

Thanks Chris. Hope you are well now 

Sue 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 09:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Chris. Hope you are well now 

Sue 

I'm absolutely fine, thank you. I had a nephrectomy operation to remove the kidney. You can manage just fine with one kidney. I was really lucky: if I hadn't had the MRI scan as part of my prostate cancer diagnosis the tumour wouldn't have been found - there were no symptoms. By the time kidney cancer symptoms do show up the cancer is normally advanced and it's too late.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 04 Mar 2021 at 09:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 13:27

Hi thanks Lyn 

Yes that’s what I  hoping. It came as a shock because last consultant appointment (via phone), only mentioned an increase in lyric lesions in already affected bones and raised PSA , hence next treatment. Then when letter arrived it mentioned so much more including the cyst. We always find the waiting for results the hardest!! 

Did your father-in-law have operation to remove the tumour? 
Sue

Sadly not - it is very rare for them to remove mets when it gets to that stage. As it happens, the doctors only realised that Stan's PCa had progressed and metastisised to his liver and kidneys the day before he died. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 18:03

Lyn so sorry to hear your father-in-law passed. Sue 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 18:07

Chris, was the kidney tumour related to your prostate cancer or unrelated kidney cancer that was picked up at time of diagnosis for prostate? 
Sue

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 19:38

Chris, was the kidney tumour related to your prostate cancer or unrelated kidney cancer that was picked up at time of diagnosis for prostate? 
Sue

Entirely unrelated - just picked up by the MRI I had as part of my prostate cancer diagnosis. It also picked up the fact that I had an aneurysm in the splenic artery that I could have dropped dead from at any time. Oh joy - three life-threatening conditions for the price of one. What a fun time that was 😁. Thankfully all three now fixed: kidney removed, prostate zapped, and aneurysm sorted with metal coils. 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 20:04

Oh wow 😯 so glad they are all sorted now 😀

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 20:46

I can honestly say that prostate cancer saved my life. My surgeon told me that if the kidney tumour hadn't been found I would probably have been dead in three years. That was 2018, so this year... Quite a chilling thought but, fingers crossed, everything's fine now.

Chris

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 21:41

My husband had similar experience, not with kidneys but as in ‘what if’. 

He was only diagnosed with prostate cancer when I persuaded him to get a hernia checked. He’d had no symptoms but was found to have aggressive cancer that had already spread outside the prostate and so is incurable. But to this day we often think ‘what if’ he hadn’t got the hernia checked. He probably wouldn’t be here today.  

hope you continue to have good health 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 22:26
Thank you. I hope Colin continues in good health too.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 18:11

Sue and Colin, 

Exactly same here. Husband was being checked for hernia when they saw enlarged prostate.

Took several weeks to find out that psa was 198 and rose to nearly 300, 5 weeks later. Had advanced prostate cancer, Gleason 8 with spread to lymph nodes. 

We still not sure if he has a hernia... But thank goodness he was investigated for it.

Wishing you all the best

Edited by member 06 Mar 2021 at 13:00  | Reason: Not specified

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 15:49

This is very interesting. It seems to echo much of my own history. 

I eventually saw the report of my 28/2/21 CT scan which spoke of "a well-defined 18mm nodule arising from the left kidney which could be a sold mass or a hyperdense cyst." The conclusion goes on to talk about a bone metastasis on T12,  suspicious sclerotic bone lesions and extensive lymphadenopathy in the para-aortic and right iliac regions . . . but says nothing at all about the kidneys. 

I then noticed in my earlier Renal Function Tests that my glomerular filtration rate was 77 compared with the nomal minimum of 90; other electrolytes and creatinine were normal.  This suggests depressed kidney function - the question is whether it means cancer of the kidneys. 

I flagged this as a query for my next oncology discussion, but I have come to respect the opinion of these forums. 

So, what do you think..? 

Edited by member 12 May 2021 at 16:18  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 20 May 2021 at 07:47
Further to the above, I can report that my oncologists have decided on a 'wait and watch' policy for the lump on my kidney.

Kidney function as revealed by the blood tests is thought to be satisfactory and further CAT scans should show up any physical changes.

From my perspective it seems a bit casual, but I have to accept their judgement which, after all, results from many years of study and experience.