I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Roadmap to continence after a prostatectomy?

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 17:39

Two weeks post-surgery, I am due to have my catheter removed early next week. I am wondering how I am going to cope with the incontinence without my catheter leg bag. I have been discharging ~1.6l of urine into that leg bag every night. Now it will no longer be there, so how do I cope and over what timescale? What are the markers in that road to continence (if it exists)?  If you have had a similar experience, I’d like to know some answers to these questions.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2021 at 13:35  | Reason: Mis-spelling

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 20:19

You don't know yet whether you will have any problems. Some men have control from the minute the catheter is removed. Others find it takes a couple of weeks or months. The NHS says that 90% of you are using one pad per day or less by 12 months post op. Some men are left with permanent incontinence. 

Apart from those who have control over their bladder immediately, the progress map is usually:-

- urine leaks out at any and all times, whatever position you are in

- you start yo have sensations of the bladder being full and needing to empty

- it starts to get easier to hold it in a little bit some of the time

- you wake up in the mornings and haven't wet the bed while you were asleep

- it gets easier to hold on until you get to the toilet

- you can control your bladder most of the time except when coughing, sneezing, lifting or very tired

- you can control your bladder almost all the time

Edited by member 05 Mar 2021 at 20:25  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 00:52
I have complete continence, although ‘continence’ in the context of post-prostatectomy is considered to be the use of one nappy pad a day or less.

I was more or less continent from the time the catheter was removed (I had a supra-pubic catheter, not involving the urethra). I bought one pack of about fourteen Tena Lites after my operation and I still have a few left in the box. Better throw them away now as it’s been nearly three years...

I read a paper yesterday regarding Retzius-sparing surgery vs conventional surgery, that concluded the level of continence was down to the skill of the surgeon rather than the technique used.

It will be a great relief for you to get rid of that bloody bag!

Best of luck with your recovery.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 08:15

I had the catheter in for about a month longer than expected, I wasn't continent straight away but I could hold it in so long as I concentrated. The problem was as soon as I was distracted out it came.

By doing stop start routines and regular toileting (like a toddler!) It all came back over 6 months or so. All is perfect now just have to be careful with orgasm!

Edited by member 06 Mar 2021 at 08:15  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 20:19

You don't know yet whether you will have any problems. Some men have control from the minute the catheter is removed. Others find it takes a couple of weeks or months. The NHS says that 90% of you are using one pad per day or less by 12 months post op. Some men are left with permanent incontinence. 

Apart from those who have control over their bladder immediately, the progress map is usually:-

- urine leaks out at any and all times, whatever position you are in

- you start yo have sensations of the bladder being full and needing to empty

- it starts to get easier to hold it in a little bit some of the time

- you wake up in the mornings and haven't wet the bed while you were asleep

- it gets easier to hold on until you get to the toilet

- you can control your bladder most of the time except when coughing, sneezing, lifting or very tired

- you can control your bladder almost all the time

Edited by member 05 Mar 2021 at 20:25  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 00:52
I have complete continence, although ‘continence’ in the context of post-prostatectomy is considered to be the use of one nappy pad a day or less.

I was more or less continent from the time the catheter was removed (I had a supra-pubic catheter, not involving the urethra). I bought one pack of about fourteen Tena Lites after my operation and I still have a few left in the box. Better throw them away now as it’s been nearly three years...

I read a paper yesterday regarding Retzius-sparing surgery vs conventional surgery, that concluded the level of continence was down to the skill of the surgeon rather than the technique used.

It will be a great relief for you to get rid of that bloody bag!

Best of luck with your recovery.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 08:15

I had the catheter in for about a month longer than expected, I wasn't continent straight away but I could hold it in so long as I concentrated. The problem was as soon as I was distracted out it came.

By doing stop start routines and regular toileting (like a toddler!) It all came back over 6 months or so. All is perfect now just have to be careful with orgasm!

Edited by member 06 Mar 2021 at 08:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 10:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Can I ask why you had the catheter in for more than a month longer than expected? I am desperate to get mine out, so looking forward to Monday, as a child would Christmas Day!

User
Posted 07 Mar 2021 at 15:44

Post op complications, leak from the bladder join caused peritonitis and sepsis ☹️. 

2 days in hospital ended up being a month, then had to wait until they were certain it had healed.