I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am I being unrealistic?

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 19:36

Possibly not the best of timing but my wife and I are buying electric bicycles. I know I will be out of action for sometime as  having either surgery or RT later in the year am I being totally unrealistic in thinking that I will be able to get on my bike eventually?

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 20:16
Well hopefully you will get lots of miles in before treatment. If you have RT, it will be important to keep exercise levels up as much as possible during and after treatment - our keen & tough cyclist friend is just in the phase before having brachytherapy and has increased both his cycling and running distances and frequency. If you go for surgery there will be a period of weeks or months afterwards when you should avoid cycling (to give your erectile nerves best chance of recovery) but it is easy enough to purchase a prostate friendly saddle.

Happy cycling!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 20:49
Thanks Lyn, great advice. One of the main aims for me is to help maintain a positive attitude, I’ll look for a suitable saddle
User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 21:26

My husband enjoys cycling. He refrained from cycling for 12-14 wks post prostatectomy. During that time he researched electric bikes and they were very difficult to source because of covid. He finally got one though and loves it 🚴🏼 Best wishes to you.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 09:11

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My husband enjoys cycling. He refrained from cycling for 12-14 wks post prostatectomy. During that time he researched electric bikes and they were very difficult to source because of covid. He finally got one though and loves it 🚴🏼 Best wishes to you.

Thanks for the reply.

Still difficult to source although beginning to come through now. We were lucky to find ours quite quickly and locally although had to double our initial budget (so much for saving money during lockdown!!). Glad he is enjoying the cycling again

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 12:42
I have an electric bike and a "prostate friendly" saddle (SMP Trk Gel). I really enjoy cycling and did so throughout my RT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 12:56

Thanks Chris. Good to know RT may not get in the way of cycling if that is the way my treatment goes. Just learning about the saddles so will look at the one you have.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 13:26

I've been thinking of buying an indoor exercise bike.  The SMP Trk Gel saddle looks a bit pointy for my liking.  The one at the gym is really fat and soft which suits me better due to anatomical susceptibilities.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 14:30

Wide soft saddles may look comfy, but they aren't, as any experienced cyclist will tell you. Buy one which is correctly shaped; your nether regions will thank you 😁

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 14:52

I was thinking of something like this

https://www.merlincycles.com/selle-italia-st7-vision-superflow-road-saddle-213377.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=131525&source=PHG

Edited by moderator 13 Jul 2023 at 18:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 15:03
That one looks reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Mar 2021 at 15:05
Should probably now switch to a cycling forum......!