Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HIFU or radiotherapy

User
Posted 08 Mar 2021 at 17:03

Hi 

I was just diagnosed in January - my PSA is 5 and my Gleason score is 7 - i didnt have any symptoms and they found it by chance. So everything has been really sudden and shocking. I am currently on Hormone therapy and the NHS is offering me radiotherapy or high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). I understand HIFU has less side effects, but i just want to find out what do you think is a better option for me and why? Has anyone had HIFU and what kind of side effects did you get?

Many thanks in advance! 

User
Posted 08 Mar 2021 at 18:56

Hi SumZaf,

Over the last year I can think of two members of the forum who have had HIFU recently, and I think there are a few more who have had it a few years ago. 

HIFU used to be rare on the NHS, but the topic is coming up on this forum more frequently as of late. I think that HIFU didn't have a long enough track record to be recommended by the NHS but that must have changed recently. 

If you had asked this question a few years ago the general consensus amongst members would have been that HIFU will probably knock the cancer out but it will probably recurr within a few years and another treatment will be required. 

I guess as the NHS are starting to recommend it, then it may be considered more reliable than previously. The effects of RT are not too troublesome for most, so I think you have a reasonable chance of living a happy life after whichever treatment you choose. 

How old are you? If you are in your 50s—60s you might be concerned about recurrence in the next 10years. If you're in your 80s then you will probably die of something else before the cancer recurrs, so HIFU with its lesser side effects might be a better choice.

Hopefully some others will chip in shortly. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 00:36

Unfortunately, nobody here is going to be able to answer your penultimate question because only you can decide how you feel about the relative pros and cons of the two forms of treatment offered to you. Men faced with their treatment decision need to find out more about PCa in general and the treatments offered in particular. Some men would opt for a form of radiotherapy on the basis of this being a form of treatment that has been analysed over a much longer period although with potential for certain side effects in the medium to long term. HIFU long term effects have yet to be assessed but seem to be more mild in the medium to long term. HIFU as a primary treatment can in need sometimes be repeated or be followed up by RT. Once administered as a full dose, RT can't be repeated in the same way although it can sometimes be used to treat a very few tumors elsewhere. HIFU can be used as a salvage treatment for failed RT which is what I had.

There are different types of PCa and the density and position can be different in men as can be their response to treatment. Radiotherapy can take the form of External Beam or Brachytherapy of which there are two types, both of which can be supplemented by External Beam if considered necessary. Don't take it for granted that you will react in the same way as anybody who may post here. I suggest you download or obtain a hard copy of the 'Tool Kit' as here :- https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit?_ga=2.206109653.795867346.1564408880-1013787081.1564408880

Also, I suggest you obtain a full report of your diagnosis so you and we have a better idea of where you are, (although we are not doctors but collectively have quite a range of experience of PCa).

NB. The 'Tool Kit' lists Brachytherapy by seeds (Low Dose) but doesn't seem to cover separately High Dose where radioactive probes are inserted into the Prostate for a short time and then withdrawn all as part of an operation. So ask what type of RT you are being offered so you can consider before making your decision for this or HIFU.

Edited by member 09 Mar 2021 at 00:49  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 15:27

Thank you Barry and Dave for your responses. 

I am in my early 60's so long term side effects is something I would consider. I am being offered HIFU by my private healthcare plan however when I spoke to my NHS doctor about HIFU (who originally only offered me external beam radiotherapy) also then offered HIFU (with a longer waiting list). 

Barry as you have had both treatments, how would you compare both side effects on yourself? I understand everyone reacts differently but it's nice to hear from another person rather than facts. 

I have my full report of diagnosis, what other information would be useful to share?

I am getting the feeling from this thread that with HIFU there are higher chances of it returning, the nurses explained to be there only 5% more chance of it returning compared to radiotherapy. 

I have read the toolkit and shared it with my family, very useful. Thank you. 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 17:36

Hi SumZaf,

Quite often it is nice to know more about your diagnosis, such as T stage, N,M numbers, what percent of prostate was cancerous, but in your case as they have offered HIFU we can guess that T will be T1 or T2, HIFU would be unlikely to be offered if the cancer was starting to spread. Similarly your N and M will be zero, as if they weren't HIFU could not cure you. It is also reasonable to assume the percent of cancer is quite small as HIFU is a focal treatment usually aimed at a small area (though I thikn it can be aimed at the whole prostate). 

Generally if you are offered a choice of treatments it is because in your case they are probably more or less equally effective, RT may have a slight edge on HIFU but slightly worse side effects so it's just a matter of balance.

RT may cause some damage to the bowels but it is unlikely to be very serious or long lasting. It may cause bowel cancer in years to come but that is actually very unlikely. ED may develop years later. I don't know much about the side effects of HIFU as so few on this forum have had it, but I think they are not too troublesome.

Of course you may be unlucky and get lots of side effects from either treatment, but I think you just have to go with the law of averages and assume that things will go OK.

I hope I am cured but I think it is wise to take a cautious approach and view treatment for prostate cancer as pushing the problem down the line which ever treatment you have.

I think if I were in your position I would take HIFU in the hope that it could be repeated if it failed first time and if that failed I could go on and have RT. But all of that really only applies to me with my attitude to risk and side effects, you may have a completely different perception to the problem than me, and there is no doubt that your perception is right for you and my perception is right for me.

Dave

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 01:24

Hi SZ,

Whilst I am happy to relate my own experiences, my initial treatment was with 30 fractions of IMRT each of 2gy plus a boost of 6 fractions of Carbon Ion each of 3gy, in a study in Germany; So more radiation and more intensive than you would get combined in the UK. (In fact this is so rare that my GP asked me to do a presentation on this to some students and also on HIFU). So my personal experience may be further removed from somebody having the 72 fractions each of 2gy or 20 fractions each of 3gy that seem to be what is generally administered in the UK nowadays as primary treatment for PCa. As the amount of radiation is increased it is more effective in dealing with the cancer but with greater chance of more intense side effects. Differences can be compounded by HT most men have before and during RT and how they relate to this element. The main downside for me was premature tiredness. The RT and particle treatment led to me having to get up to have a pee up to 8 times a night for a time although this gradually reduced to my pre treatment level of once or twice nightly by about 10 weeks post treatment. ED gradually increased and perhaps I should have done more to help stop atrophy at the time which might have delayed this. I also had mucus in my stools for about 6 months post treatment and sometimes 'wet farts', so some tissue and a spare pair of pants accompanied me. I also got a Coveen system for use when there was no convenient toilet when out while frequency and urgency was a problem. I think the RT added to my tiredness but not by much. I did get a sore bum for a time due to RT but this improved with Bepanthen cream being lightly dabbed on. I did force myself to take a long walk each day even if it was at funerial pace. Long term the RT + particle therapy hasn't produced any other significant side effects and I resumed playing short tennis and golf until I was 75 and competitive table tennis until 80 or so. Most men continue with HT for anything up to 3 years after RT but I have rejected this so far.

Unfortunately, another slow growing tumour started in my Prostate and in 2015, I had HIFU for this which knocked the cancer back but it is getting to the point where I might be recommended HIFU again and/or start HT. You might glean some information of my experience here, although it was done as a salvage treatment for failed RT rather than as a Primary Treatment. As it happens I have a consultation with UCLH next month to discuss my recent MRI. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10960-HIFU--my-experience

NB. I note some of the links I referred to in the above thread have since been pulled.

HIFU can be a good treatment for suitable men and a week or two after my procedure when swelling had gone down it was as though I hadn't even had it.  Covid travel restrictions probably prevent travelling to Germany  at present but if I was contemplating HIFU as a primary treatment for PCa I would investigate the possibility of having the latest type of HIFU.  This would be TULSA_PRO in Heidelberg, a place I know well. http://www.profoundmedical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Phase1ResultsPresentationFUS_London2015_pdf.pdf

Edited by member 11 Mar 2021 at 21:59  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 09:10
Barry, travel for medical treatment is still permitted.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Mar 2021 at 22:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Barry, travel for medical treatment is still permitted.

Cheers,

Chris

That's interesting.  I wonder whether this would include dental work.  I have been waiting for many months to have 3 healing screws replaced with abutments and crowns and going to Budapest where my Implantologist largely works and where I had some previous Implants, might be a possibility if considered medical treatment.  More recently I had the Implants in London where he used to come for a couple of days each month but apparently the Hungarian Government required all their doctors to remain in Hungary since the pandemic.

Barry