I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RALP May 2017, PSA now 0.2

User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 12:05

OH who is 59 has just had a letter saying that he will be having a video call next week to discuss radiotherapy, this was not unexpected as in Dec 2019 it rose to  0.1 and stayed there till Dec 2020. Its now 0.2.  What questions should we be asking?

User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 12:05

OH who is 59 has just had a letter saying that he will be having a video call next week to discuss radiotherapy, this was not unexpected as in Dec 2019 it rose to  0.1 and stayed there till Dec 2020. Its now 0.2.  What questions should we be asking?

User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 20:48
I would ask:-

- will you be recommending hormone treatment alongside the RT?

- if yes, how long for?

- If no, why not when most men do seem to have HT as part of their salvage treatment

- how many fractions (sessions) are you planning to do and at what strength?

- are you planning to zap just the prostate bed or a wider area? Why?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 20:48
I would ask:-

- will you be recommending hormone treatment alongside the RT?

- if yes, how long for?

- If no, why not when most men do seem to have HT as part of their salvage treatment

- how many fractions (sessions) are you planning to do and at what strength?

- are you planning to zap just the prostate bed or a wider area? Why?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 19:33

I would ask will they be doing a PSMA PET scan first to identify exactly where the cancer cells are, so they ensure they're included in the salvage radiotherapy.

Otherwise they will probably just guess they're in the prostate bed (which is most likely), but if possible request a PSMA scan first to be sure. At 0.2, you are borderline if a PSMA scan will find them though.

Was the prostate histology suggestive of anything left behind? If so, that would add weight to it being in the prostate bed.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 07:56
Nag them for a PSMA scan.

Your bio says you had clear margins so they actually have no idea where the cancer may be now.

If you only treat the prostate bed with RT you risk missing some in lymph nodes, if you treat the whole pelvis and there is no cancer there you risk RT side effects.

PSMA scans are proven to change salvage treatment plans.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 08:53

My husband did say to the consultant, you are going to bomb my prostrate bed with RT not knowing if its there or not.  He is going to ask for a PSMA scan and another PSA test as his 3 monthly tests have been more like 4 month+

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 08:55

Thanks everyone for taken the time to give us some advice.  We feel better prepared when we have the video consultation on Tuesday

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 23:13

Hey Linda!

Just wondered if your OH had radiotherapy in the end or psma scan?

X

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'
User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 23:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hey Linda!

Just wondered if your OH had radiotherapy in the end or psma scan?

X

Just read your profile PeterandAlison and one thing jumped out - it looks like you are being managed by your GP??

With a PSA of 0.3 after RP and RT you need to be under an oncologist. 

User
Posted 15 Jun 2021 at 17:16

Hi, 

Thank you. Yes, it does seem rather odd...I think the GP said that they would see what this result was and then refer back to onco. So I will encourage hubby to contact GP to discuss. Don't want him being forgotten. I'm just happy that it hadn't doubled yet in 8 months and only slowly rising, but yes, he should definitely see info as they probably would need to scan and re-start some sort of treatment .

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'