Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

2 days after catheter removal - Pain when starting to wee

User
Posted 09 Mar 2021 at 21:15

Hi,

Had open RP surgery last monday (8 days ago), all seemed to go well (will know more in 2 weeks) I was sent home on friday - 5 days later. Uneventful weekend and back in on yesterday for the catheter taking out.  Did my 3 measured wee's no problem (all around 250-300ml) then a good bladder scan.

Went home with a spring in my step as i really found the catheter uncomfortable.

I'm drinking plenty, I'm getting the urge to wee and I can hold it in ok. No accidents as yet. Only needed to get up once in the night. Once going flow is good, it was quite rose in colour yesterday, today it was more wee coloured. Plenty of dribbles and false "i think I've finished" at the end but nothing that a bit of toilet paper can't sort.

BUT - The inital getting going bit - breaking the seal as it were is quite painful. Once im actully weeing properly the pain dies away. Difficult to describe where the pain is , but it is internal its not at the end.

Is this normal ? Will it ease with time when the join fully heals ?

I realise its only been a week and bit since it was cut and sewn back together but im in a bit of a panic 

Thanks

Edited by member 09 Mar 2021 at 23:20  | Reason: Spelling again:-)

User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 00:22

I haven't had a prostatectomy, but I have had a catheter. I seem to remember for a about a day after it was removed I had a similar pain to what you describe, but it soon cleared up. I assume that the inside of the uretha is quite sensitive so even the abrasion of a catheter caused enough damage to be painful. I guess after surgery things would be painful for a while so I don't think I would be worried about a bit of pain for the first week or so. 

BTW it sounds like you are making a good recovery. 

Dave

User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 03:42
The pain you are experiencing during micturition is accurately, if inelegantly, described in medical terms as “pissing razor blades”!

You seem to have come out of your surgery quite well, and I’m sure your urinary discomfort will get better very soon. You have had a pipe rammed down your urethra which has been cut in half and re-stitched up. Expect random haematuria and blood clots for the next few weeks until your external wounds have healed.

Best of luck with your recuperation.

Cheers, John.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 00:22

I haven't had a prostatectomy, but I have had a catheter. I seem to remember for a about a day after it was removed I had a similar pain to what you describe, but it soon cleared up. I assume that the inside of the uretha is quite sensitive so even the abrasion of a catheter caused enough damage to be painful. I guess after surgery things would be painful for a while so I don't think I would be worried about a bit of pain for the first week or so. 

BTW it sounds like you are making a good recovery. 

Dave

User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 03:42
The pain you are experiencing during micturition is accurately, if inelegantly, described in medical terms as “pissing razor blades”!

You seem to have come out of your surgery quite well, and I’m sure your urinary discomfort will get better very soon. You have had a pipe rammed down your urethra which has been cut in half and re-stitched up. Expect random haematuria and blood clots for the next few weeks until your external wounds have healed.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 10:43
Might want to check with your GP in case you have a wee infection
User
Posted 10 Mar 2021 at 14:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Cheers, John.

Just so glad I opted for Radio therapy! That description, brings tears to my eyes....